Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Improve upon this if you may! Cooking Vegetarian

I am alwayz cooking up new things at will, and was wondering what anyone else would do differently if I threw something together as I often do. I always have great produce on hand and just look and cook, making everything I touch turn to pure mmmmmmmmmm!

What would you do, add subtract or improve upon the one I made myself sit and eat last night?

I minced a shallot, a tad bit of celery, about a third of a nice firm red pepper. Sautéed in olive oil for a while, I was in the mood for something a little wild so I got out some asparagus and snapped the tips off and set aside, I used my little food possessor and minced the rest of the stocks form the asparagus and threw them into sauté’. I got me some shitake shrooms and chopped them really fine also. I threw in a couple pad s of butter and minced a clove of elephant garlic, have you seen this stuff? MMMMMMMMMM. I clove is like seven or eight. Fresh basil like I could live without that! And about a half bottle of two buck chuck, white! What else are you going to do with it? I don’t drink anymore, but man if you are going to give it away I will cook with the stuff!!! LOL! I got some linguine from trader Joes that is really nice, garlic and basil I think it is, boiled me up some of that! I was In the mood for something a little creamy soooooo… Threw in the tips, got about a tablespoon of cream cheese, a couple of sour cream and mixed In the noodles to make sure all were covered In the sauce. Fresh olive French bread warmed on the stove and I was set!

What would you do to improve on such a dish? I think it would be pretty hard to do at this point it was so wonderful, but I am alwayz open to improvement when it comes to cooking. Peace!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Safron Cat

Re: Improve upon this if you may! Cooking Vegetarian

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mykil: View Post
    I am alwayz cooking up new things at will, and was wondering what anyone else would do differently if I threw something together as I often do. I always have great produce on hand and just look and cook, making everything I touch turn to pure mmmmmmmmmm!

What would you do, add subtract or improve upon the one I made myself sit and eat last night?...
    How about throwing some curry leaves( available from Asian stores) or, some roasted cumin seeds ?
    Last edited by Barry; 12-11-2007 at 11:23 AM.

3. TopTop #3
    shellebelle

WOW you can cook, NICE! LOL

Try a wild vines wine sometime for cooking - very sweet - pair it with fresh fruit or even canned.

We roast/bake and bbq lots of things so I think I would have either roasted or bbq some of the vegies to add some dimension maybe with some peanut oil or walnut oil. Or even brush them with some wine and balsamic.

What would you do, add subtract or improve upon the one I made myself sit and eat last night?

I minced a shallot, ...
    Last edited by Barry; 12-11-2007 at 11:22 AM.

4. TopTop #4
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Hmmmm; I am surprised no one mentioned a tad bit of fresh grated nutmeg! That would have really hit the spot!

I used to BBQ all the time when I was still, shhhhhh, a meat eater, I had recipes that would blow your friggin mind! I think I may try a few suggestions and use the Barbie before sautéing. I have done this in the past and have had great results. I love the smoky flavors that are squired in this fashion.

I have never cooked with curries too much; this is something I think I would like to get into. I know there are way more than just a few varieties and would like to try them all. Cumin is more for chili yes?

5. TopTop #5
    shellebelle

I just saw on one of the Diner Dive shows that a guy made a smoke box for fish in his oven easy aluminum pan, a cookie rack and the wood shavings place the fish on top and let it go for a few minutes. Looked easy bet it would be great with vegies. LOVE fresh zucchini on the grill - the best!!!!

Nutmeg - not my favorite can be easily over done but love it in my coffee.

Hmmmm; I am surprised no one mentioned a tad bit of fresh grated nutmeg! That would have really hit the spot!

I used to BBQ all the time when I was still, shhhhhh, a meat eater, I had recipes that would blow your friggin mind! I think I may try a few suggestions and use the Barbie before sautéing. I have done this in the past and have had great results. I love the smoky flavors that are squired in this fashion.

I have never cooked with curries too much; this is something I think I would like to get into. I know there are way more than just a few varieties and would like to try them all. Cumin is more for chili yes?

6. TopTop #6
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

I have seen these too! Somethings similar anyway. Once I was watching a show about cold smoking tuna, a hotel pan right on the burner with wood chips, it filtered into a pan full on ice on top with the fish on a rack I alwayz wanted to try something like this, yet never have. It really might do wonders for veggies, cold smoked to keep them crisp! Hmmmmm, wonderful entertaining and delectable!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by shellebelle: View Post
    I just saw on one of the Diner Dive shows that a guy made a smoke box for fish in his oven easy aluminum pan, a cookie rack and the wood shavings place the fish on top and let it go for a few minutes. Looked easy bet it would be great with vegies. LOVE fresh zucchini on the grill - the best!!!!

Nutmeg - not my favorite can be easily over done but love it in my coffee.

7. TopTop #7
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

I bought some new hummus at Trader Joes over the weekend. Jalapeno and cilantro it was. I got a bag of my favorite blue chips out and discovered it was really for cooking. I thought for a while went in the kitchen and this is what I came up with, oh and it was really not bad!

I put on some brown rice and thought for a while longer…

Olive oil, a tad bit of butter, lots of bunches of oyster mushrooms and a green onion, a little red pepper and hmmmmmm garlic and fresh basil all sautéed up. A few tortillas placed on directly on the burner and placed on a plate. The hummus spread on the tortillas and some sour cream over that, then the rice and then the sauté, fresh Parmesan cheese… Wow what a delight. I truly think good food is the path to true happiness…

8. TopTop #8
    shellebelle

Have you tried the flax seed chips and the spicy flax seed chips? Soooooo very good with the hummus!

Also try using the Naan as pizza crust! We put mushroom risotto, tri tip, and black beans on it the other night sort of a taco thingy which was also good!

I bought some new hummus at Trader Joes over the weekend. Jalapeno and cilantro it was. I got a bag of my favorite blue chips out and discovered it was really for cooking. I thought for a while went in the kitchen and this is what I came up with, oh and it was really not bad!

I put on some brown rice and thought for a while longer…

Olive oil, a tad bit of butter, lots of bunches of oyster mushrooms and a green onion, a little red pepper and hmmmmmm garlic and fresh basil all sautéed up. A few tortillas placed on directly on the burner and placed on a plate. The hummus spread on the tortillas and some sour cream over that, then the rice and then the sauté, fresh Parmesan cheese… Wow what a delight. I truly think good food is the path to true happiness…