Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    decterlove

My Router/modem keeps rebooting itself! Anybody?

I have a 2wire? router I guess set up here so my roommate can wifi from the living room...he's in Thailand falling in love with a gal named Kal......

It's been like rebooting itself over and over again for over an hour. Stays on for about 5 minutes then does it again.

Any suggestions? Just point me in the right direction and I'll probably be able to go from there...

Should I call Earthlink.........or do I need to enter that 192.
    168.1 number again........have done that a few times in the past?

I've plugged and unplugged everything 3 or 4 times....now it's not doing it of course............??? well, I'm going to post this anyway...........
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    shellebelle

Re: My Router/modem keeps rebooting itself! Anybody?

I have had this happen and can not remember how we fixed it darn it.

If this were happening tome I would start by flipping my breakers primarily because the mobile home we live in trips easily.

If someone sends the answer privately please post it too!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by decterlove: View Post
    I have a 2wire? router I guess set up here so my roommate can wifi from the living room...he's in Thailand falling in love with a gal named Kal......

It's been like rebooting itself over and over again for over an hour. Stays on for about 5 minutes then does it again.

Any suggestions? Just point me in the right direction and I'll probably be able to go from there...

I've plugged and unplugged everything 3 or 4 times....now it's not doing it of course............??? well, I'm going to post this anyway...........

3. TopTop #3
    Kunnskaping

The three most likely things I can think of are that you have something flaky going on with the external power (look for a plug not firmly seated at some juncture), there is something flaky going on with the router's circuity itself (not much you can do about that), or someone has managed to get enough control over the router from over the internet that they are able to reboot it.

Here is how I would test for trouble. Unplug the thing. Completely, network cables, power, everything. Move it to a room where you feel pretty confident that the outlets are solid and reliable. Plug it in there and watch it boot up. Put on some music, make yourself comfortable, maybe pour yourself a beer or some wine, then stare at the thing. If the lights settle down and remain static for, say, ten minutes. the problem is not your router. Move to step two. On the other hand, if it keeps rebooting, it needs to be replaced. Perhaps some more wine or beer until you can deal with that tomorrow.

Step two: Take the router back where it was and plug in the power cord. Only the power cord. Repeat the first test. If it reboots after a few minutes, you have a problem with the outlet or some part of the power cord plugged into it. Look for loose connections and do what you can to fix them, either by bending things a bit and pressing things tight or replacing worn parts. If it does not reboot, you've got a hacker or virus type of problem.

If you have a hacker or virus problem, you will need to isolate the point of entry. Could be a bot running on your PC or some other computer in your home, could be getting hacked by a person or bot over the internet, or you could have someone tapping into your router's controls via the wireless connection. Check back here for more help if you need to narrow that down and have no one to help you. It will be the same sort of shut it down then bring things back online testing to work that out. Have good music, snacks, and beverages on hand just in case.

4. TopTop #4
    decterlove

Thanks a lot Kunnskaping....straightened itself when I just turned off the tower for a while and came back to it. I had pulled the plug on everything before and that didn't work the first time but it worked the second. Go figure. It seems to be holding steady now and instead of going to sleep I'm writing short stories on Wacco! Thanks again for your help! It really helps to know at least some one is listening.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kunnskaping: View Post
    The three most likely things I can think of are that you have something flaky going on with the external power (look for a plug not firmly seated at some juncture), there is something flaky going on with the router's circuity itself (not much you can do about that), or someone has managed to get enough control over the router from over the internet that they are able to reboot it.

5. TopTop #5
    Dark Shadows

Press and hold the reset button for several seconds

6. TopTop #6
    Rb3

Hey All, When the 1st post was started, yesterday, I noticed the same phenomena (dsl modem rebooting itself). After that, the fax machine started flashing it's red error light, next, all of the power was off. I had caught a glimpse of some pole utility service activity off of E street before arriving at the office. This was all in the space of a half hour...in Downtown Santa Rosa along Sonoma ave, some traffic signals were out as well. I expect all is restored now. You can thank PG&E and AT&T for the trouble....

7. TopTop #7
    decterlove

Hmmn, the problem seems to be ongoing but intermittent. I've been working on it all day today without incident but last night it was on again, off again. More trouble in the evening than during the day. It's a 2Wire router...the reset button does not seem to actually push in like I think I've noticed it doing on the prior modem. It seems frozen or stuck. The routers about 8 months old and was purchased new.

Does this narrow it down any further, anyone?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kunnskaping: View Post

8. TopTop #8
    Rb3

Hey All, This is definitely a pg&e/at&t caused problem, as the same thing happened again this AM, traffic signals were out again on Sonoma ave in Downtown SR. I'd call pg&e...Note that one of their employees was injured while working on this on Sunday Night/Monday AM according to the pdemo....