Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

What new inventions will we see in the future?

I am kinda curious about where everyone thinks we may be headed in the future? To me, this time in our society is so entertaining and obvious to no extent. I wonder if we are in for more traumas and outreaching turmoil’s. I think that only time itself will tell what we are in for. The outpour of pollution, overpopulation and shortages not only of water and food, but oil and even fresh air are prevalent. I often wonder what we are going to have to do to survive, what dramas will unfold, who will be the target of blame? Whom will be doing the blaming, and who on this earth will listen and watch and just be the observer and get a kick out of whatever does unfold. There are allot of lurkers observing our society, just observing and not ever even caring about what has happened, is happening now, or will happen In the future. To me I am evolving out of the lurking distraction and starting to atleast do some preaching, showing people where on this earth the recycle bin is. Showing the next generation what a real redwood looks like and that they are not for cutting anymore! It’s not much, but it is a start. Some of the things that I have seemed to have really underestimated are people themselves. To me it’s like we are starting to evolve and bam! Let’s take this world down! LOL! You know we harnessed electricity only about 100 years ago. Some dude invented cars, others trains, the same amount of time has passed. Is electricity the problem? Seems that way on occasion, we can’t seem to live without it. Computers were invented, the Internet dropped in on use in 69, didn’t really take off till the late eighties. Which really isn’t that long ago. A hundred years ago there were no cars, no trains, no electricity! Twenty years ago there wasn’t a computer in everyone’s home. Thirty years ago there was not a TV in every bedroom. Fifty years a go there was not one in every home. Microwaves, Teli, remote controls, radio CD player multi disk DVD’s with HD TV FORMAT. Hmmm. What’s Next??? Where will we go now for more entertainment for the lurker’s??? Hell I am getting a little bored myself waiting around to see what will become of all this. What will we have to do to survive??? The increase in water is on the way! The oil is at the bottom of the barrel! The food sources are being tried. We can alwayz kill one another over these things and probably will, but what is in store for the ones that survive??? A storm is a brewing and there is no turning back… The real question in my mind that I have been wondering for many years now, is, is it too late? What will we do to survive? What are the next levels of inventions going to be? I think we are going to have to make it fun to survive, making it more of a game and enjoyment to want to conceder conserving as a way of life, to take this world in a new direction. No one seems to want to make it fun, it is too serious to want to even try for allot of people. The drama locked away in too many souls is just so over barring it’s almost makes me want to just walk away and crawl in a shell and not let anyone close to me, I hate drama! I would much rather teach our children more fun activities. Teaching them it’s fun to love, which is one thing that allot of parents forget in this day and age. They teach love, but not that it can be fun to love. Fun in many households is Taboo! Taking on our worlds pain is plan “A” and nothing else matters. Conserving and saving the world needs to be taught as love and caring and FUN! Our children grow up so fast and really don’t start caring about the environment till they them selves become aware. In their younger years they may do more damage than when they get to the point that they start to conceder making a change for the better than offsets the balance of the problems they created. Changing ones car oil and dumping it down the drain twenty or thirty times in your life before someone enlightens you is just plain sad! If we are to teach them at a young age and make it more fun to create our future, wouldn’t that be nice? New in inventions to save our world, teaching the children in a fun way to save our world. What else?
    Last edited by mykil; 09-07-2008 at 07:16 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Willie Lumplump

Re: What new inventions will we see in the future?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mykil: View Post
    What are the next levels of inventions going to be?
    Artificial intelligence will change the world in ways we can scarcely imagine. Computers as smart as people may be a reality within the lifetime of some people now living. Nanotechnology and genetics will cure even the worst diseases such as cancer. Space travel will become safe and inexpensive thanks to the development of carbon fiber technology that will make possible space elevators traveling from the ground to a point hundreds of miles into space.

3. TopTop #3
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Let me introduce the atom re-stabilizer!
    The atom is 1 /1000000 of a millimeter across. There are 92 elements that make up the atoms we now know of.

I foresee a machine you lie in and this machine replaces and replenishes you everyday atoms to cure everything. Not Only will it cure and fix anything that ales you it will also preserve you life forever. You will walk into this machine once a week for an atom tune up. Th9is machine will only see atoms and replace what needs to be replenished.? Your DNA or you atom structure will be on file around the world, so if you have a problem anywhere you can just walk into the neighborhood atom re-stabilizer and get a emergency tune up! How quaint. If we were only born a couple of hundred years in the future, if we make it that far…

CSI will be able to walk into any house and see what was what. All this by a machine that will vacuum up our dust we shed from our skin. They will be able not only to see whom was in the house, but they will be able to play back exactly what happened in any event. Simple by what DNA and blood trail that is about, where, how much, and to what extent. They will place this in a machine and the machine will animate exactly what went down. I am sure of this!!! LOL!!! IT will be a revolutionary invention that is not that far off
    I am afraid!!! What you think of that?

4. TopTop #4
    Zeno Swijtink

I foresee a machine you lie in and this machine replaces and replenishes you everyday atoms to cure everything. Not Only will it cure and fix anything that ales you it will also preserve you life forever. You will walk into this machine once a week for an atom tune up. Th9is machine will only see atoms and replace what needs to be replenished.? Your DNA or you atom structure will be on file around the world, so if you have a problem anywhere you can just walk into the neighborhood atom re-stabilizer and get a emergency tune up! How quaint. If we were only born a couple of hundred years in the future, if we make it that far…
    Interesting idea, but it seems to be build on a strong separation of what is you and what is not-you, while according to this recent article in New Scientist, "[g]eneticists have discovered that the genomes of every living organism appear to be laden with the remains of ancient viral infections" (...) "Sometimes they become a permanent addition, called an endogenous retrovirus, or ERV." (...) "At least 8 per cent of the human genome consists of clearly-identifiable ERVs." (...) "The curious thing about all this viral DNA is that it isn't just taking up room - a significant amount of it is functional." (...) "Evidence is mounting that viruses contribute to the biology of multicellular life forms too, including humans. The most dramatic example is the mammalian placenta, whose evolution is thought to have been pivotal to the rise of modern mammals. One of the key genes involved in placenta formation is called syncytin. In 2000, researchers at the Genetics Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts, reported that the gene came from an ERV."

So, even if a machine could distinguish between "you" and "not-you.," "cleaning up" the not-you may endanger the you, and affect how you and your "species" are evolving.

This article gives a material base to the idea that "we are all connected."

Zeno

Viruses: The unsung heroes of evolution
    27 August 2008
    NewScientist.com news service
    Garry Hamilton

FEW aspects of evolution are harder to explain than the emergence of complexity. How did the first cell emerge from the primordial soup? How did natural selection come up with a marvel as complex as the human brain? The tree of life is full of similar riddles - great evolutionary advances whose origins defy easy explanation.

Since the discovery of DNA, biologists have insisted they have the answer: complexity arises as the result of small errors that occur when genomes are copied and passed down the generations. Although individually small, these mutations can add up to enormous change across the vastness of time.

This view of evolution has held sway for about 50 years, but now biologists are sensing that it is missing a major element - viruses. For close to a century, these genetic parasites have been regarded as little more than a biological afterthought, notable mainly for their ability to cause death and disease. However, the era of genomics has unexpectedly revealed a much richer picture of viruses as a creative evolutionary force of unparalleled reach and power. "Everywhere you look, viruses seem to be playing a crucial role in evolution," says Luis Villarreal, director of the Center for Virus Research at the University of California, Irvine. "I would argue that they are the most creative genetic entities that we know of."

“Everywhere you look, viruses seem to be playing a crucial role in evolution”

Such revelations will come as a surprise to many. Viruses are generally seen as finely honed killing machines - pared-down packages of genetic information that exist solely to attack cells and hijack their biochemistry. In some respects that reputation is well deserved. Viruses by definition are parasites, utterly dependent on their hosts for survival, and viral infections have been responsible for some of the worst epidemics in human history.

In the late 1980s, however, this view began to change. Researchers started exploring the size and diversity of the viral world, or "virosphere", by taking samples from different environments and counting the viruses. A millilitre of water from the Barents Sea turned out to contain 60,000 virus particles, and a similar sample from Lake Plussee in Germany contained 254 million. These and other results suggested viruses were up to 10 million times more common than previously estimated.

Subsequent research has confirmed that viruses are everywhere, in great abundance. They are found in hot springs, deserts, polar lakes and rocks 2000 metres below ground - anywhere there are life forms to infect. "There are more bacteriophages [viruses that infect bacteria] in the biosphere than all other life forms added together," says Graham Hatfull of the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania. "If you took all the phage particles and stacked them end to end, they would reach for a total distance of 200 million light years. It sounds kind of stupid, but it makes the point." Villarreal adds: "The world is mostly viral. They are the most abundant and diverse genetic entities."

This diversity in the virosphere is also coming as a surprise. There are now thought to be around 100 million types of virus. They boast a more varied biochemistry than cellular life, storing their genetic information as both single and double-stranded DNA and RNA. Recent virus-hunting expeditions have uncovered one with a unique hybrid genome structure, part single-stranded and part double-stranded DNA, plus a menagerie of novel forms - bottle-shaped viruses, viruses with tails at both ends, viruses shaped like droplets and viruses that resemble stalk-like filaments. Most astonishing of all is the giant mimivirus ([below], far left), which is bigger than some bacteria (New Scientist, 25 March 2006, p 37). And we have only scratched the surface. "In terms of diversity, I don't think we even have an inkling yet what's out there," says Curtis Suttle, a microbiologist at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada.

Enlarge image

Perhaps most surprising of all, the more virus genomes we comb through, the more we are discovering hundreds of genes never seen anywhere else - not in any other virus, nor any living cell. According to Villarreal, these make up an amazing 80 per cent of viral genes, yet their function remains a mystery.

Dead or alive?

Such diversity comes as a surprise partly because viruses have long been considered cast-offs from the tree of life - shards of non-living genetic material that somehow escaped from cellular life forms and became parasites. As the number of sequenced viral genomes climbs towards 1000, however, there is a growing belief that viruses have a more interesting story to tell. "Most virologists no longer believe that viruses derived from host genome sequences, but instead that they arose as independent life forms, probably prior to bacteria," says science writer Frank Ryan, author of Virus X: Tracking the new killer plagues.

One important piece of the story emerged when Hatfull and his colleague Roger Hendrix compared the genomes of dozens of bacteriophages to map their evolutionary history. They found that instead of assorting into a family tree based on common ancestry, each phage appears to be a patchwork of randomly assembled fragments of DNA. Their conclusion was that viruses are genetic grab-bags whose genomes are constantly being mashed up with DNA from other viruses infecting the same host.

This genetic pick 'n' mix is no localised affair. Identical viral genes have been found in vastly different habitats on opposite sides of the world, suggesting that sequences are constantly being copied and pasted from virus to virus around a global DNA superhighway. "Viral genetic information is essentially being distributed all around the planet, presumably by different viruses recombining when they infect the same cells," says Shuttle. Add in a rapid mutation rate, and viruses quickly emerge as life's most fertile breeding ground for novel DNA sequences.

So how does that make viruses a key player in evolution? It turns out that this genetic productivity isn't confined to the viruses, but reaches deep into the cells of their hosts too. The first hints of this emerged in the 1950s, when researchers discovered that not all phage infections are the same. While many such viruses follow a scorched-earth policy - destroy one cell then move on to the next - others employ a longer-term strategy, inserting themselves into their host's genome and multiplying only when the cell divides. These "prophages" can sometimes re-emerge as virus particles, but they can also bed down as permanent additions to the bacterial DNA.

Such intrusions were considered freak events until recently, when genome sequencing revealed that between 10 and 20 per cent of DNA in most bacteria is prophage. In addition to that is a subset of bacterial genes called ORFans that bear no resemblance to genes seen anywhere else.

"When you sequence a [bacterial] genome, you always end up with genes that are unknown, usually around 10 per cent," says Patrick Forterre at Paris-Sud University in Orsay, France. "It was once thought that this was because we haven't sequenced many genomes. But even today, after more than 500 genomes, whenever you sequence a new one you still get 10 per cent ORFans." Forterre has found that ORFans tend to be small, much like viral genes, and many are located close to a common site of prophage integration. His conclusion is that 90 per cent of ORFans probably have viral origins.

It's not just bacteria that are full of virus genes. Geneticists have discovered that the genomes of every living organism appear to be laden with the remains of ancient viral infections. In eukaryotes, the most complex domain of cellular life including humans, the main source of this DNA is retroviruses - RNA viruses that, after infecting a cell, convert their genome into DNA and integrate it into the host. Sometimes they become a permanent addition, called an endogenous retrovirus, or ERV.

ERVs have been known of since the 1970s, but the full extent of their infiltration did not become apparent until 2003, when genome sequencing revealed that our DNA is absolutely dripping with them. At least 8 per cent of the human genome consists of clearly-identifiable ERVs. Another 40 to 50 per cent looks suspiciously ERV-like, and much of the rest consists of DNA elements that multiply and spread in virus-like ways. Taken together, virus-like genes represent a staggering 90 per cent of the human genome. ERVs have also been found in rodents, apes, monkeys, koalas - essentially everywhere geneticists look. "There is this continuous raining of viral genes into cellular genomes," says Forterre.

The curious thing about all this viral DNA is that it isn't just taking up room - a significant amount of it is functional. "Most [viral genes] don't play a role and they're eliminated," says Forterre. "But from time to time, when a protein does become useful to the cell for whatever reason, it can be retained, and then it can sometimes really change the story of the lineage - it can change the cell's evolutionary direction."

One of the first clues to the evolutionary power of viral DNA came in the 1950s, during efforts to eradicate diphtheria. Researchers discovered that the bacterial culprit, Corynebacterium diphtheriae, does its dirty work by latching onto throat cells and releasing a toxin. They later found that the gene for this toxin belongs to a prophage. Since then researchers have compiled a long list of bacterial diseases in which prophage genes supply the killer blow. These include botulism, cholera, bubonic plague and necrotising fasciitis, more commonly known as the flesh-eating disease.

Radical evolution

Prophage genes also turn out to be useful in other settings. For example, Hatfull has identified one that gives bacteria the ability to get together in communal groups called biofilms. "It's very likely that viruses affect host physiology in all sorts of interesting ways that have yet to be discovered," he says. Harald Brï¿?ssow, a microbiologist at Nestlï¿? in Lausanne, Switzerland, has suggested that viral DNA provides bacteria with an evolutionary "second gear" that allows them to respond rapidly to short-term environmental pressures by acquiring radical new capabilities.

It's not just bacteria either. Evidence is mounting that viruses contribute to the biology of multicellular life forms too, including humans. The most dramatic example is the mammalian placenta, whose evolution is thought to have been pivotal to the rise of modern mammals. One of the key genes involved in placenta formation is called syncytin. In 2000, researchers at the Genetics Institute in Cambridge, Massachusetts, reported that the gene came from an ERV (Nature, vol 403, p 785).

That's not all. The cytoplasm of human cells is brimming with messenger RNA derived from viral genes, and the European Molecular Biology Laboratory in Heidelberg, Germany, recently published a list of 35 viral genes that appear to play a vital role in human biology. Viruses also appear to have played crucial roles in the evolution of the ability of our immune system to respond rapidly to pathogens it has never encountered before - one of the most important innovations of the past 500 million years. Sequences derived from ERVs also appear to be heavily involved in gene regulatory networks, which control when and where genes are switched on and off. Again, this fingers them as a key driver of evolution: the main difference between closely related species is not in genes themselves but how they are expressed.

Perhaps viruses' most dramatic claim to a starring role in evolution involves events in the dim and distant past. According to Forterre and others, viruses were responsible for some or even all of the main events in early evolution, including the invention of cells.

In the 1970s, Forterre began studying the molecular machinery involved in DNA replication. Scientists had only just learned that cellular life comprises three domains - bacteria, archaea and eukaryotes - and thought that comparing universal biochemical processes such as DNA replication could yield insights into how the domains were related.

But the results were perplexing. While some components showed the expected signs of common ancestry across all domains, others displayed more puzzling relationships. For example, DNA replication enzymes in archaea and eukaryotes are clearly related, but the bacterial versions are totally different. Other components were found to be the same in archaea and bacteria, but different in eukaryotes. This patchwork of shared features means it is impossible to arrange the three domains in a standard family tree.

This suggested to Forterre that the three domains might be the survivors of a much more diverse primordial biosphere that predates the evolution of cells (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol 103, p 3669). Forterre and others have since built up evidence that early life was a period of wild biochemical experimentation in which molecular systems were constantly being invented and thrown together into new and increasingly complex ensembles (Virus Research, vol 117, p5). Once cells evolved, the experimentation continued, driven by innovation and gene transfer by the first viruses. The result was the creation of numerous alternative living systems, built up from random combinations of the available components. Only three of these systems survive to this day in the form of the three domains of cellular life; much of the rest lives on in the virosphere.

That puts viruses right at the heart of early evolution. "If you consider that viruses have always been more abundant than cells, you should conclude that the flow of genes has always been higher from viruses to cells," says Forterre. "Given this, it should not be surprising that major innovations could have occurred first in the viral world, before being transferred to cells."

Hendrix agrees. "If you are a primitive cell it is likely going to be prohibitively difficult to invent all the sophisticated biochemistry that cells have today," he says. "What you need is some way of sharing the successful experiments among different cells, and one of the best ways to do that is to move genes around using viruses."

Forterre now believes that the creative power of viruses lies behind many early leaps in complexity, such as the transition from the RNA world to that of DNA and the invention of the cell nucleus.

All in all, biologists are confronting what may be the biggest advance in evolutionary thinking since the discovery of the gene. Our emerging knowledge of viruses challenges many tenets of evolution, not least that it is driven by competition between selfish genes. Viruses provide a strong argument for the idea that evolution is also driven by fitness boosts gained through give and take.

Nor is evolution necessarily a gradual process. The rate at which viruses shuffle DNA around suggests that life is capable of acquiring fresh new material out of the blue, and also of making dramatic leaps in the time it takes to catch a cold.

Perhaps the most profound change will be in our concept of organisms and species. Individuals are supposed to be distinct packages of genetic information that have been passed along an unbroken line of ancestors extending back millions, if not billions, of years. But in truth we're all leaky vessels, and DNA knows no bounds. It is looking more and more as though the biosphere is an interconnected network of continuously circulated genes - a "pangenome", to use the term recently coined by microbiologist Victor Tetz of St Petersburg State Pavlov Medical University in Russia.

Oh, and another thing. We may have to revise our notions of common descent. Yes, we're related to apes. But we're also more than just a little bit virus.

Garry Hamilton is a writer in Seattle, Washington

From issue 2671 of New Scientist magazine, 27 August 2008, page 38-41

5. TopTop #5
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

I did read some of that a few dayz ago and got lost in thought.I really do not see how this will affect this scenario? WE are made up of atoms plain and simple, although there will be one hell of allot to over come, this will be the simplest solution. We have trillions of these little atoms that build our DNA. When we are able to get to this stage, it will be as simple as just replacing the ones that need replacing. Even replacing ones that are not what we want in order achieve whatever we desire. There will be plenty of medical research in order to achieve this ultimate goal but this is where it will lead…

6. TopTop #6
    podfish

I don't understand what you think might be broken in some of your atoms - especially what might be fixed by swapping in a better one.

7. TopTop #7
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Hmmm simple enough question yes, let me give you a simple answer! Everything In the universe is made up of atoms, even us. Now we can tell you close to how many atoms are even in the universe yes. It’s a pretty big number. There is a 7 followed by 80 zeros! But that‘s not what you asked. Since everything is made up of atoms we are all connected. But then again that’s another story. We are made up of all theses atoms; when an atom goes wrong, err a bunch of atoms go wrong we will be able to replace them. A spot of Cancer you say you have? BAM replaced!!! a brain cell goes haywire. BAM!!! If we are only made up of atoms then why would this not be possible?

I foresee a machine that will only scan our atoms. It will only see atoms. There for it will only replace atoms! This maybe only fantasy as of now, but I am willing to bet… What do you see in our future???

8. TopTop #8
    Zeno Swijtink

I did read some of that a few dayz ago and got lost in thought. I really do not see how this will affect this scenario? WE are made up of atoms plain and simple, although there will be one hell of allot to over come, this will be the simplest solution. We have trillions of these little atoms that build our DNA. When we are able to get to this stage, it will be as simple as just replacing the ones that need replacing. Even replacing ones that are not what we want in order achieve whatever we desire. There will be plenty of medical research in order to achieve this ultimate goal but this is where it will lead…
    The point was that within the space of your skin there are many cells that do not share your DNA but that may be important for your survival or may be important for the future evolution of your offspring. How is your machine going to decide whether to remove the atoms of these cells if the consequences of these decisions will only play out in the vagaries of the future?
    Last edited by Zeno Swijtink; 09-10-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: corrected "maybe" into "may be"

9. TopTop #9
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

I hear what you are saying, why make things so difficult is seeing the future? The viruses that you speak of that make up our DNA that only leak or produces toxins whne we are weak or another virus is setting them off are all made up of atoms yes? If our DNA is on file and something goes wrong don’t you think it would be something in the system that was introduced and needs to be taken out or replaced. I am not sure why this would be a difficult concept? I am pretty sure that once we get to this point in lets say a hundred years from now it will be simpler done then said!

What they are studding now with all the toxins we are carrying around and even born with can and will be replaced just like ever other aspect of what we need in our systems. Why would you think that the viruses that we need would not be replaced? Why would you assume that the creator of this machine where complete morons?????? LMAO!!! Don’t you think they might have gone to school?????

So come now Zeno tell us what you might see into the future. You have the capabilities now expand you venue and elaborate or technology in our future!

10. TopTop #10
    Zeno Swijtink

So come now Zeno tell us what you might see into the future. You have the capabilities now expand you venue and elaborate or technology in our future!
    To stay with your medical example, I foresee a wrist monitor that checks one's bodily state and environment, and can give warning about upcoming seizures, heart attacks, fainting, sleepiness, low blood sugar, love attacks, moodiness, bouts of anger, and such, or will beep when one just does not pay enough attention.

11. TopTop #11
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

... OK Now; I truly believe we will be able to climb aboard a radio wave and ride it just like a vehicle anywhere we want to go! All the groceries and suitcases in hand, no gas, just and invisible radio wave will be our only mode of transportation! Please don’t ask me how this one is going to work, because as of now I aint got a clue! LOL!

12. TopTop #12
    countrygirl

Actually kids tend to care more about the enviornment than most adults. They also naturally gravitate toward fun. If there's a way to have fun they'll find it. The adults just need to find a way to channel that care and fun into a real down to earth practice that actually helps. Drama just comes with having a community whether a town or family. Every kid will experience that. Rising above all that and still caring about your community is the obstacle. Teaching kids to care and have fun is not necessary. The tools to be constuctive and work together is the trick. D
    I am kinda curious about where everyone thinks we may be headed in the future? To me, this time in our society is so entertaining and obvious to no extent. I wonder if we are in for more traumas and outreaching turmoil’s. I think that only time itself will tell what we are in for. The outpour of pollution, overpopulation and shortages not only of water and food, but oil and even fresh air are prevalent. I often wonder what we are going to have to do to survive, what dramas will unfold, who will be the target of blame? Whom will be doing the blaming, and who on this earth will listen and watch and just be the observer and get a kick out of whatever does unfold. There are allot of lurkers observing our society, just observing and not ever even caring about what has happened, is happening now, or will happen In the future. To me I am evolving out of the lurking distraction and starting to atleast do some preaching, showing people where on this earth the recycle bin is. Showing the next generation what a real redwood looks like and that they are not for cutting anymore! It’s not much, but it is a start. Some of the things that I have seemed to have really underestimated are people themselves. To me it’s like we are starting to evolve and bam! Let’s take this world down! LOL! You know we harnessed electricity only about 100 years ago. Some dude invented cars, others trains, the same amount of time has passed. Is electricity the problem? Seems that way on occasion, we can’t seem to live without it. Computers were invented, the Internet dropped in on use in 69, didn’t really take off till the late eighties. Which really isn’t that long ago. A hundred years ago there were no cars, no trains, no electricity! Twenty years ago there wasn’t a computer in everyone’s home. Thirty years ago there was not a TV in every bedroom. Fifty years a go there was not one in every home. Microwaves, Teli, remote controls, radio CD player multi disk DVD’s with HD TV FORMAT. Hmmm. What’s Next??? Where will we go now for more entertainment for the lurker’s??? Hell I am getting a little bored myself waiting around to see what will become of all this. What will we have to do to survive??? The increase in water is on the way! The oil is at the bottom of the barrel! The food sources are being tried. We can alwayz kill one another over these things and probably will, but what is in store for the ones that survive??? A storm is a brewing and there is no turning back… The real question in my mind that I have been wondering for many years now, is, is it too late? What will we do to survive? What are the next levels of inventions going to be? I think we are going to have to make it fun to survive, making it more of a game and enjoyment to want to conceder conserving as a way of life, to take this world in a new direction. No one seems to want to make it fun, it is too serious to want to even try for allot of people. The drama locked away in too many souls is just so over barring it’s almost makes me want to just walk away and crawl in a shell and not let anyone close to me, I hate drama! I would much rather teach our children more fun activities. Teaching them it’s fun to love, which is one thing that allot of parents forget in this day and age. They teach love, but not that it can be fun to love. Fun in many households is Taboo! Taking on our worlds pain is plan “A” and nothing else matters. Conserving and saving the world needs to be taught as love and caring and FUN! Our children grow up so fast and really don’t start caring about the environment till they them selves become aware. In their younger years they may do more damage than when they get to the point that they start to conceder making a change for the better than offsets the balance of the problems they created. Changing ones car oil and dumping it down the drain twenty or thirty times in your life before someone enlightens you is just plain sad! If we are to teach them at a young age and make it more fun to create our future, wouldn’t that be nice? New in inventions to save our world, teaching the children in a fun way to save our world. What else?

13. TopTop #13
    MsTerry

Zeno,

How do you think the hundredth monkey fits into this viral evolution?
    Communication via virus or pheromones?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post

Viruses: The unsung heroes of evolution
    27 August 2008
    NewScientist.com news service
    Garry Hamilton