Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    marisa108

Thanksgiving dinner for homeless?

I was wondering if I could find such an event to donate my time and/or food...a community center..church? Anyone organizing/hosting something for those less fortunate?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Thanksgiving dinner for homeless?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by marisa108: View Post
    I was wondering if I could find such an event to donate my time and/or food...a community center..church? Anyone organizing/hosting something for those less fortunate?

You might be interested in this;

November 21 : Redwood Gospel Mission Thanksgiving

"Every year, the Redwood Gospel Mission puts on a huge banquet on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving Day at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds in Santa Rosa. They end up feeding about 4,000 low-income and homeless people. Along with the turkey dinner, the day also includes chapel services, health screening, dental information, counseling, free haircuts and games for kids. Volunteers are needed to pack food boxes, serve meals, wash dishes, paint faces, play games, clean up and more. Call (707) 578-1830."

https://santarosa.about.com/gi/dynam...hxgvg_home.htm

3. TopTop #3
    jeffreyiam

On Thursday from 1-5 there will be a no cost community thanksgiving at the Church on Gravenstein Highway accross from O Reilly and Associates. The fresh turkeys will be barbque'd along with real mash potatoes etc. Everyone is welcomed.

4. TopTop #4
    davidohm

another option for River Folk. There is a free Thanksgiving dinner being given in Guerneville at the Vets Hall. This hall is right next to the Sheriffs station in GV. If you are not familiar with GV, just ask anyone there about how to find the Vets Hall.
    I am not certain of the hours, but most likely say mid afternoon into the eve??

Twice a month at this same hall, there is a free dinner with gorgeous vegetarian fare, made with such love and care. About 4 pm to 6:30 pm. Every SECOND and LAST Wednesday. The LAST Wed means simply that on those months with FIVE Wednesdays, the dinner happens on the FIFTH such. On other months with only four Wednesdays, it happens on the SECOND and the FORTH.

bon apetite!!!!!!!!!

david om call me if you have questions or need a ride 707-86-925-86
    Last edited by Barry; 11-20-2007 at 09:54 AM.

5. TopTop #5
    djmama

There was a list in Sundays Press Democrat. In addition to those which people here have already listed, there is one at the Sonoma Community Center and at the Rohnert Park Community Center.

It's a wonderful gesture to do this on Thanksgiving and Christmas, but those are the two days a year that the homeless are pretty well covered. St. Vincent in Santa Rosa and Food Not Bombs, and probably others, provide meals all year and could probably use the help as much or more on Dec. 19 or Jan. 7 or whatever.

Best wishes.

6. TopTop #6
    galephil

The Community Church is having a community dinner 1-5. It's not serving homeless, per se, but it will connect you with the community.
    Best wishes to you.