Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Lorrie

Waccobber's What is your cure for the common cold?

?
    What do you do for yourself or loved ones when they come down with the cold?
    Please answer specifically. I would appreciate it.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    walengalen

Re: Waccobber's What is your cure for the common cold?

Good old chicken soup has warmth, nutrients, onions and garlic help immune system, red pepper clears sinuses, easy on the stomach, add rice or small noodles, dark green veggies, like spinach or kale or bok choy help too.

Take aspirin, hot tea with lemon and honey, maybe a little brandy or rum, go to bed for 24 hours.
    This always works for me and my family. Cold goes away in a couple of days with taking this treatment seriously.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lorrie: View Post
    ?

3. TopTop #3
    Tinque

Several years ago someone turned me on to a really great concoction to free yourself of a cold or the flue. It is simple to make and I actually love the flavor. ( I tend to like spicy, hot things though).

In a blender you put one yellow onion, jalapeno peppers, alot of fresh garlic(like vampire proof) and APPLE CIDER vinegar until it blends into like a thick salsa. Then you take a tablespoon or so and eat it. Put a cap on your head and keep your feet in your slippers and or socks. Bundle up , watch a movie, sweat and say farewell to your cold ...I actually would dose myself a few times.. It works amazing.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-16-2007 at 09:29 AM.

4. TopTop #4
    decterlove

Gee Lorrie, this is a lot less controversial than dating skinny women! Maybe you're next post should be "Men, would you date a skinny woman with a really bad head cold?

Just joking. More seriously the above posts are very good suggestions but let me add a few suggestions about what also about what to do when you think you're on the verge of getting a cold or around a lot of sick people.

First thing off is everyone should have a good supply of quality Yin Chaio around at all times and keep some with you in the winter time when you go to work, etc or are out for the day. It's probably the single most effective remedy for bouncing a cold before it starts and is also supposedly the most popular herbal remedy on the planet. (used by more than 1 or 2 people in the Asian Continent apparently).

The trick with Yin Chaio is (One) Get a quality brand...most are pretty good but my favorite is Planetary Herbs with added Echinacea. If you take the Chinese brands like Plum Flower you may need to take a little more especially if you're a larger person. (Two) You've got to take it in the first 4 to 6 hours that you feel achy and off kilter. Once you've get a cold, it's not going to make much difference although it might reduce the viral load a little over the course of several days. Then you're better off with the above poster's suggestions, warm, spicy, nurturing foods etc. (Three) Yin Chaio opens up the Exterior of the body so if you're out and about in very cold weather and starting to feel sick you might take just one or two caps/tabs and wait till you get inside again to take the full dose.

*Side note here; because Yin Chaio "opens up the Exterior" it is also useful for some skin rashes and night itching etc.

You can add Olive leaf or Oregano oil to the Yin Chaio protocol, (Trader Joe's sells a capsule with both included at most of their outlets), GSE (grapefruit seed extract), garlic in any form...I love to blend fresh garlic up with Olive Oil and just pour it over my rice or entree, etc when I want a really strong dose...AND all of these additions will also help reduce the likelihood of the head cold settling into the lungs. You can really pound down the Olive Leaf or the GSE if you're working outdoors because they do not "open the exterior" as Yin Chaio does. And if sore throats are the main issue...try Coptis Purge Fire or Niu Huang Chien Tu Pien which you can get at most local Asian markets that offer herbs. (later comes in a bright yellow box by the way....CPF is available at Pharmaca now I believe...)

If it does indeed settle into your lungs and become a chronic cough or bronchitis, I suggest a trip to an herbalist, Chinese is my preference, for a formula designed specifically for your condition and constitution. Elephant Pharmacy in San Rafael offers a free herbal consultation service, alternating OTM with a Western Herbalists during the hours of like 4 to 7 everyday during the week. They can mix up a fresh or granulated herbal formula right there on the premises for about 30 cents a gram that is specifically suited for you.

Another interesting old Gypsy remedy that I used along with Echinacea and Vit C before I discovered Yin Chaio is to take a hot bath as soon as you start feeling ill with 5 or 6 cups of fresh coffee added to it. This feels great and gives your circulation a real Turbo Charge which is also great for sore muscles at the end of a long work week. Doesn't make you talk fast either!

I've used these remedies for at least 15 years now and actually kept track for a while of the number of times I felt like I was doomed to getting sick for a week and took the right stuff soon enough....I estimated YC with an added herb or two or a coffee bath has knocked out just about 27 of the last 30 colds I might have endured otherwise. I get chilled and off balanced very easily and have been in office situations many times where everyone was sick 5 or 6 times during the cold season and I came away virtually cold free sometimes suffering from just one early one in the season.

So don't sneeze and wheeze! Use Yin Chaio and other Herbs Pleeze!

5. TopTop #5
    DVJ

I used to get horrendous colds two or three times a year that lasted three weeks. Then I started to swim as exercise for arthritis. A few months later I noticed I was not getting colds any more. Now it's 6 or 7 years later, I swim about 20 minutes twice a week. The very few times I've gotten a "cold" it's pretty much over by the time I've figured out that it really is a cold. The only bad cold I've gotten during these years was after 3 weeks with no swimming because I was travelling in France.

Sometimes I think that if I did deep breathing exercises for 20 minutes twice a week, I would get the same result, but I don't have the self-discipline to do that regularly; I keep trying when I travel. Maybe you can do better. Years of regular exercise (cycling and gym equipment) didn't do it for me; maybe it has something to do with the humidity.

6. TopTop #6
    DVJ

Thanks for the Yin Chaio remedy. It has somewhat helped alleviate symptoms but I can see now I'd probably have better results taking it earlier. In fact this spring I had just serendipitously replenished my supply somewhere in southwest China and the very next morning felt that warning tickle, took some immediately, and had nothing more than a slightly runny nose.

I've also noticed in the past that taking too much can result in mild diarrhea.

7. TopTop #7
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

I too have found that if taken early on , YIN CHAIO , that I get better results!

and like others, I also have found OLIVE LEAF (timed release) to help kill a cold.

some other natural remedies that help :

* 1 drop of hydrogen peroxide in each ear, ( letting it fizzle for a little bit before doing the other ear. ) also , doing this in the "early stages" works best.

* irrigating the sinuses with a "nettie pot" with warm water and just a drop of apple cider vinegar . This changes the PH so the germs will steer clear.

* hot / cold compresses to relieve sinus pressure build up or to help with chest congestion.

* Maitake mushroom extract ( i take it 4 times a day )

* Epsom salt baths (relieves muscle soreness and salt helps detox body)

* lots of fresh GREEN juices if ya got a juicer!

* someone to pamper and take care of you and make your chicken soup and teas FOR you !

and if open to over the counter remedy and have a need to really have help getting over the cold faster... try "Mucous X" .. I have heard it works wonders!
    Last edited by nurturetruth; 11-16-2007 at 09:50 PM.

8. TopTop #8
    Dark Shadows

1,000 mg. of powdered vitamin C in a big glass of water once a day. Works great for me. Also, eucalyptus essential oil mixed with water in a steamer for the congestion.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-16-2007 at 04:15 PM.

9. TopTop #9
    Leelash

At the early first signs of a cold, or if I'm around a lot of people woth colds, I take Airborne every couple of hours. I also add a dropperful of Super Echinacea tincture to the water that I drink all day long.

Zicam (homeopathic) is really helpful after I already have a cold. It kicks it faster.

I use Yin Chao myself for a scratchy sore throat. It is so effective that I usually feel better the next morning.

And, finally, for the start of flu symptoms, nothing beats Occilococcinum (probably spelled wrong), a homeopathic remedy. I learned a trick about this stuff from an extremely reliable source and it has turned out to be true in my experience. They say to take a whole vial full for each dose but you really only need to fill the top of the tiny CAP of the vial with a few pellets and it totally works. It's homeopathic so less is more.

10. TopTop #10
    alanora

Chinese herbals have been most effective for me historically, for most ails. Could it be five thousand years of collective conscience has an impact?
    yinchiao gets my vote as well, not sure if designed as such, however can also relieve head congestion from allergies. If I feel something daring to take hold, I use it hourly in fairly large amounts and reduce over the next day, usually that does it. The coated tablets contain caffeine, the plain herbal ones in the individual little tubes do not. I sometimes supplement with ecchinacea and golden seal extract drops..I do not dilute and hold in mouth and swish, also hourly. I used the same regime on my daughter as it worked without the amping or doping effects of antihistimines. You know it worked cause the child was willing to tolerate it mashed in applesauce! There was an ionic silver topical that if used every 15 minutes at first up the nostrils every thing moves along nicely. I seem to recall that as a child I was made to drink my grandmothers concoction which was a green pepper boiled in anisette after which the sweating would commence....mindy
    ?

11. TopTop #11
    alanora

Chinese herbals have had the best success rate with my family. Could it be that the mass of humanity's belief over 5000 years of use affects efficacy? Yin chiao gets my vote also. I would take large amounts hourly the first day, tapering down the next. Might include ecchinacea/goldenseal Zand product extract, also hourly..no dilution and holding in mouth a while. Works for my allergies as well. Worked on my daughter before pill swallowing age...must have for her to have tolerated it mashed in applesauce! fyi...the coated version of the herb contains caffeine...the herbal little vials do not. I have also used ionic solution of silver directly to nasal mucosa. I recall my grandmother's concoction included a green pepper boiled in anisette after which the bundling and sweating began......mindy

?

12. TopTop #12
    Nemea Laessig

I get an older chicken and boil the heck out of it to make it into chicken soup, to which I add a lot of garlic and ginger, and some short-grain rice. I cook it until the rice is really soft. I also add a bunch of fresh lemon juice to it after it is done boiling. Don't salt it too much, as salt tends to draw your condition inward and make it settle in. This is a traditional Chinese remedy called a congee. https://www.docmisha.com/applying/re...ox/congee.html

I make a strong tea by boiling fresh ginger for awhile, then adding honey (raw), fresh lemon juice and various herbs. Yarrow and feverfew will help a fever & headaches, elder flowers are good for sinus troubles. Get a copy of The Herb Book and read up.

Sugar and alcohol impair the immune system, so to be avoided. A hot bath with epsom salts can knock a cold out before it gets started, and vit. C and Yin Chao are also good at first symptoms. Get plenty of sleep!

nurturetruth writes: * Lymph massages or just a massage

As a massage therapist of many years and much experience I have to say that a massage can actually make a cold much worse by further taxing your immune system. If you have any kind of infectious disease you do not want to be pushing your fluids around. Fever, cold or flu, no matter how mild is a total contraindication for massage. It is also unkind to your massage therapist to subject them to your germs. Check here: https://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dum...t-FITNESS.html or any general info site on massage.

Reiki or other energy work is fine, and definitely come and get a massage when your symptoms have passed to get your body tuned up again and dispel any lingering aches & pains!

Cheers,
    ~Nemea

13. TopTop #13
    nurturetruth
    Co-observing

Thank you for this information regarding the possible contraindication of receiving a massage when immune system is down.

I know when I have had colds (especially head colds), my head seems to welcome a caregiver of mine, whom is also a nurse...doing light massages on my neck or even my temples/occipital region. I can't imagine with all the list of STUFF i seem to take to boost my immune system that a massage would hurt too much....but its good to be aware of all possibilities!

I have since removed my suggestion of receiving a massage when having a cold...and i realize what seems to work for some, might not work for others. It has long been my understanding that , "deep massage strokes or a relaxing lymph massage (if you are lucky enough to afford your own lymph massager!) , push lymph fluid more quickly through the network of vessels that deliver it throughout the body. Since lymph fluid carries immune cells, massage is thought to give those cells more opportunities to seek out and neutralize disease-mongering invaders."

I have found that the homeopathic Occilococcinum seems to work better for FLU like symptoms , rather than colds....

* Fresh garlic /or "GARLINASE" capsules - contains "Allicin" which is closest to fresh garlic.

* ZINC (zinc lozenges perhaps)

* Fresh Oranges !

* Anise tea helps to get rid of phlegm

* Vitamin A and slippery elm

and a nose salve to help open the nasal passages while you rest/ sleep!

* LOTS of water, and rest ! sleeping as long as your schedule will allow!

* Washing the hands frequently and or keeping some natural anti-bacterial (tea tree) hand cleanser close by when on the go...

may we all be well , get well, and DO what feels good for our well being!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Nemea Laessig: View Post

nurturetruth writes: * Lymph massages or just a massage

As a massage therapist of many years and much experience I have to say that a massage can actually make a cold much worse by further taxing your immune system. If you have any kind of infectious disease you do not want to be pushing your fluids around. Fever, cold or flu, no matter how mild is a total contraindication for massage. It is also unkind to your massage therapist to subject them to your germs. Check here: https://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dum...t-FITNESS.html or any general info site on massage.

Cheers,
    ~Nemea
    Last edited by nurturetruth; 11-18-2007 at 06:19 PM.

14. TopTop #14
    Dark Shadows

When I had a really bad cold or the flu one time I went to my accupuncturist and after a one hour session felt a lot better. I just fell asleep on the table after she put the needles in and woke myself up with my own snoring.

She was/is and excellent accupuncturist with a medical degree in the United States and one in traditional medicine that she earned in China. I felt I could trust her and she was very thorough. I've been to other acupuncturists that were trained in the US and have had bad results. One session resulted in numbness and another time I was hurt by an inaccurately placed needle, not to mention the yucky tasting brews/herbal remedies they gave me. The Chinese acupuncturist I liked gave me pleasant tasting stuff and capsules with herbs. I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that the best training might come from the place of origin. I hope this doesn't anger anyone, I am a bit sensitive and find confrontational responses upsetting. So go easy on me guys!

If you have a good, trustworthy acupuncturist a visit might be in order. Seems like a lot of people are getting this cruddy cold lately.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-18-2007 at 09:27 AM.

15. TopTop #15
    decterlove

Darn Chinese Acupuncturists!!!!

%&^!!!!%&&&&&*%^%@@@!!!!!! Buy American!

I heard they put lead in the needles! Last time I went to one, I swear they put GHB in my Ginseng! I felt great but I was running all over town trying to hump every parking meter that had time left in it! Darn Chinese Acupuncturists!!!!

Ooooops! I meant to be gentle. sorry. maybe I should get some bupleurum. sorry! lieben Sie die Nadeln!

She was/is and excellent accupuncturist with a medical degree in the United States and one in traditional medicine that she earned in China. I felt I could trust her and she was very thorough. I've been to other accupuncturists that were trained in the US and have had bad results.

16. TopTop #16
    Nemea Laessig

Vitamins! If I feel a cold coming on and want to really knock it out, I take twice as much vitamin E and beta-carotene as I usually do: 2 400 i.U Trader Joe's Biologically Active Vitamin E and 2 25,000 I.U. Whole Foods 100% natural dry Beta Carotene. This amount can be taken for a couple weeks. I take it with Emergen-C Super Gram II Vitamin C complex. Emergen-C is made of mineral ascorbates, which means they are very bio-available. Super Gram II doesn't have added B vitamins like most of the other Emergen-C products, so I can use my B supplement of choice instead. I also have plenty of Emergen-C Lite fizzy beverage around. The Lite has hardly any sweetener. I also take a form of Zinc called Krebs Cycle Zinc, which you can read about HERE. Zinc helps to support the white blood cells, among other things.

Stay Healthy!
    ~Nemea

17. TopTop #17
    phooph

As someone who has been very susceptible to viruses I have spent more of my life sick with them than I like, including times when I have spent months fighting off a bug that laid me low. Last year I was sick only twice and briefly both times. Here is what I do:

I exercise regularly, every day if possible. The more muscle you have the more immune cells you produce.

I drink rejuvalac every day. It's full of probiotics that help both the digestive system and resitance to bugs. I make my rejuvelac using whole rye berries and filtered water but whole oat groats can be used if you are gluten intollerant. Recipies abound on the internet.

Don't know if you heard that the Koreans reported that kim chee pickle (hot, spicy sauerkraut) cured SARS and bird flu, and I believe the probiotics are thought to be the "active ingrediant".
    https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/as...ic/4347443.stm

I eat spirulina every day with ashwaganda and astragalus added.

I take vitamin and mineral suppliments including 3 grams of Vit C a day.

I avoid sugar. Sugar supresses the immune system. It also causes inflammation, a cell destroyer. Ditto for alcohol.

The amino acid L-Lysine is known to suppress viruses and is used in some anti-herpes formulas for that reason. Some swear it helps prevent colds and flu. I take it every day just because.

I make sure to get my Omega 3 fatty acids every day.

When I suspect I am getting a virus I take the Chinese formula, Yin Chiao, which works best the first 48 hours.

I also take elderberry containing products. There is a compound in elderberry called sambucin, that attaches to viruses and blocks off the mechanism they use to enter cells and use the cell's DNA to replicate. There are a lot of formulas and forms including liquids, capsuls, and lozenges. I use whatever is on sale if I can find it. I like the Now brand Elderberry and zinc lozenges and the Sambucol liquid. Zinc helps the immune system, also.

I eat raw garlic, often mixed with other things to modulate the taste. Sprinkled on food is good, especially salads.

I have been taking liquid zeolite for ten months and it seems to be improving my ability to fight off viruses. First it removes toxic compounds of many kinds from the body which helps immune function, and it can actually trap and remove virus bits from the body. I spent only one day tired and a bit headachy with the flu thing going around now, and a cold I caught a few weeks back never progressed beyond the scratchy throat stage.

A fairly new product here called Umka, made from a So. African geranium, is said to shorten the durantion of colds and flu.

When I feel as if I am getting something I throw everything at it.

Ruth

18. TopTop #18
    nicofrog

YEAH RIGHT ON thats what I was going towards,CERTAIN COLDS (especially if you are feeling energetic) are respondent to physical exercise! using all of the above wonderful cures,Taking my vitamins(still a believer) and riding my bike, instead of blowing my nose 80 times in a day,I'd blow it 60 times in a one hour bike ride, and feel great the rest of the day! after a day or two of that no cold! Nico

Quote Posted in reply to the post by DVJ: View Post
    I used to get horrendous colds two or three times a year that lasted three weeks. Then I started to swim as exercise for arthritis. A few months later I noticed I was not getting colds any more. Now it's 6 or 7 years later, I swim about 20 minutes twice a week. The very few times I've gotten a "cold" it's pretty much over by the time I've figured out that it really is a cold. The only bad cold I've gotten during these years was after 3 weeks with no swimming because I was travelling in France.

Sometimes I think that if I did deep breathing exercises for 20 minutes twice a week, I would get the same result, but I don't have the self-discipline to do that regularly; I keep trying when I travel. Maybe you can do better. Years of regular exercise (cycling and gym equipment) didn't do it for me; maybe it has something to do with the humidity.

19. TopTop #19
    Lorrie

WOW WACCO!!

You guys sure have alot of fantastic solutions for the common cold!

And I am glad I asked...all of you.

I appreciate that your answers were straight forward and that there was no messages, so that the information that I needed was clear and available.

I am thrilled with the responses.
    Now, I know what to do next time!

What I did was take the Zibain (sp) gell up my nostrills, ate a few oranges, drank lots of liquids and stayed in bed.
    I still have some of it, but I can function. My ear fills clogged though.

I thank you very, very much for your responses with the wealth of info in them!
    You are the BESTEST!!!