Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    HolisticKids

Seeking Dog Training

Can anyone give me advice on what type of training is best, and who in Santa Rosa (or county) is good to hire? I may want to do a class, but I think I'd prefer to have someone come to the house and work with us. I have a one-year-old Lab who I've had for a couple of months and she has a few minor issues. Pulling on the leash when we walk is one of them. And she doesn't yet get the sit/stay thing. My tendencies are to go with only positive methods of training, but any advice on what works would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jane
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    terriann

Re: Seeking Dog Training

I hired a local trainer who uses a positive method. I had her for a bit and she came to the house, first and we worked privately (leash pulling, come, and sit/stay were my main issues). The results were good. Then we started a class. I dropped at that time because it wasn't exactly my style, which is a bit less disciplined. The thing I don't like about her training method is that it's treat-based. There are three issues around that for me: 1) my dog is small (9 lbs.) and I am tall and it was hard on my back to be constantly leaning down to deliver treats, 2) even though each treat delivery could be tiny, I was concerned about my dogs potential for weight gain with so much treating (her dog seemed overweight to me) and, 3) I was concerned about the over-all change in quality to his diet and therefore his health (he was 9 and had come to me with pancreatitis--I feed raw and that is resolved now--but finding a variety of treats that fit my standards was more effort than I was willing to expend, on top of the weight gain concern). I wonder if there are positive training methods that don't rely so heavily on treats.
    I hope my experience is useful for your search. There are so many trainers and styles, I'm sure you'll find a good fit.

--Terriann

Quote Posted in reply to the post by HolisticKids: View Post
    Can anyone give me advice on what type of training is best, and who in Santa Rosa (or county) is good to hire? I may want to do a class, but I think I'd prefer to have someone come to the house and work with us. I have a one-year-old Lab who I've had for a couple of months and she has a few minor issues. Pulling on the leash when we walk is one of them. And she doesn't yet get the sit/stay thing. My tendencies are to go with only positive methods of training, but any advice on what works would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jane

3. TopTop #3
    bearstar

Lissa, from Tailsawaggin' (707)591-8831)works out of Santa Rosa. She's mostly in group settings, don't know if she does private sessions. She does the positive training method and her five dogs are happy and responsive. She worked with me with a very shy dog and we made changes in leaps and bounds. She had lots of good advice and lots of encouragement. Korie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by HolisticKids: View Post

Thanks,
    Jane

4. TopTop #4
    Jessi Beckman

Hello,

I know that you are interested in having someone come to your home, but I have had a really positive experience with Petsmart. They have a Trainer at the Rohnert Park facility his name is Gary Lindsay and he is wonderful. The dogs love him and I have learned so much. They charge around $100.00 for an 8 week class. He also does private lessons but I am not sure of how much they are.

5. TopTop #5
    frog lover

Marin Humane Society in Novato is the best dog training I have ever been involved in; cannot recommend it highly enough! Had a couple of consultations and Family Dog I. Will be returning for the tricks class in November as it helps build confidence in shy dogs. Not cheap, but worth it. Have 20% for folks over 60.