Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Deborah1

QUINCE-when to harvest?

Hello Wacco community!

I have never harvested quince before, but am now living on land with a beautiful tree, laden with fruit. I am planning to make jelly and membrillo, but have found very little information on the best time to harvest the fruit. Do you have a tree? What signs do you use to know when the fruit is ready to pick, and do you then let it ripen further off the tree before using it?

Thanks so much!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Braggi

Re: QUINCE-when to harvest?

Gotta love Google. Your question even came up on the first page. There are some links on this site that have a lot of information.

Look for the color of the fruit to change from dark to lighter green.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6112859AApZNBN

When I was a kid we used to pick quince from an old tree that grew in an abandoned field. At one point in the season, the flavor would change from pretty astringent to sweet, like apples do only more so. We called them wooden apples.

I was told people used to grow them to provide pectin when they made jellies (especially before commercial pectins became available). They'd just cut them up and add them to grapes and other fruits when processed for juice. I think ripeness wouldn't be much of an issue if that was the purpose.

Let us know how your jelly comes out.

Also, I had never heard of membrillo. Thanks for sharing a new word and a new food with us.

https://www.gourmetsleuth.com/quincepastemembrillo.htm

-Jeff

3. TopTop #3
    alanora

I kept practically hitting my head while my taller neighbor did walk repeatedly into the hard fruit. I was tempted by the abundance and fragrance and picked a few hanging over the fence. The more yellow the more ripe. I made sauce with them by peeling, as the pectin is most intense in the peel, and slicing thinly and cooking in a small amount of water just like apple sauce only longer. I added honey and cinnamon and nutmeg and raisins. They require a strong arm and a sharp rigid blade, not bendable.......I have some more in a brown bag which I will again cook up..larger amount than previously. I imagine it would be wonderful as an accompaniment to a rich meat like lamb. There are a few placed around my little home for fragrance purposes. After eating them I seemed to think that I had had apple pie made with quince in the far past........enjoy. Mindy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    Gotta love Google. Your question even came up on the first page. There are some links on this site that have a lot of information.

Look for the color of the fruit to change from dark to lighter green.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6112859AApZNBN

When I was a kid we used to pick quince from an old tree that grew in an abandoned field. At one point in the season, the flavor would change from pretty astringent to sweet, like apples do only more so. We called them wooden apples.

I was told people used to grow them to provide pectin when they made jellies (especially before commercial pectins became available). They'd just cut them up and add them to grapes and other fruits when processed for juice. I think ripeness wouldn't be much of an issue if that was the purpose.

Let us know how your jelly comes out.

Also, I had never heard of membrillo. Thanks for sharing a new word and a new food with us.

https://www.gourmetsleuth.com/quincepastemembrillo.htm

-Jeff

4. TopTop #4
    Braggi

This thread interested me enough that I now have 12 little half-pint jars of membrillo cooling. I found a recipe online and didn't like the sound of it much. I made a few modifications to the process and cut back on the sugar and wow! Do I have some yummy stuff! If anyone wants me to write up my process and recipe let me know. Mostly I went toward the apple butter recipe I've used for years (sans spices).

Thanks to Katheryn and Dan for sharing the lovely quince.

-Jeff

5. TopTop #5
    JulieJess

I'd love your recipe! We have 3 quince bushes, all different varieties, and I've never done anything with them.

Thanks,
    Julie

6. TopTop #6
    Braggi

You asked for it:

Membrillo

Ingredients I used:
    11 cups quince pulp (mashed from a big pot of quince)
    7 cups sugar
    A lot of time
    A couple cups of water with honey and lemon juice added

Peel and core quince, cut up in chunks. I dip the chunks in water with a little honey and lemon juice in it to prevent browning. This also adds nice flavors.

Prepare as for applesauce: add a couple cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender. 1/2 hour or so. Mash until quite smooth. Add sugar, lower heat (substantially) and simmer, stirring nearly constantly to prevent scorching.
    Cook over low low heat (with diffuser if you have one) until paste becomes quite thick and reddish. This takes a couple of hours. Be patient--keep heat low.

At this point the recipe I read called for spreading out the paste on parchment paper and putting in the oven with just an exhaust fan running to further dry out the membrillo. Once it’s dry enough to hold it’s shape well, wrap up and refrigerate. I put mine into sterilized jars and popped them in the pressure cooker for a few minutes. I made a lot and I want it to keep.

It’s real nice with cheese and apples.

Good luck!

-Jeff

PS. I’ll bring some to the picnic.

7. TopTop #7
    erinsheff

I did all of the above many years ago, and my mouth is watering!!
    I'll come and pick if anyone has extra quinces to share.
    Thanks,
    Erin

8. TopTop #8
    Amelie d'Anjou

So I don't need to wait for the quinces to turn yellow? The squirrels got all my pears, and I'm not letting that happen to the quinces too. If I pick them slightly yellow, will they continue to ripen inside? (Like tomatoes?)
    Thanks,
    Amelie
    in Chicagoland

9. TopTop #9
    churucha

Would any of you Quince growers be willing to sell me some. I grew with my parents having them in our backyard so I am used to getting them straight from the tree and not having to buy them at the store.

Thanks
    Sandra

Quote Posted in reply to the post by JulieJess: View Post
    I'd love your recipe! We have 3 quince bushes, all different varieties, and I've never done anything with them.

Thanks,
    Julie

10. TopTop #10
    Braggi

Sandra,

The quince are turning yellow right now and if you keep your eyes open as you drive around, you might see some heavily laden trees. Just stop and ask for a few. Most folks don't use them so, like persimmons, a lot of them just turn into a mess that needs to be cleaned up.

It only takes ten or fifteen to make a big pot of pulp.

It's worth asking.

-Jeff