Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    jimandbluedavis

Natural Cure for HypoThyroid needed!!!

I am a Female and looking for the best cure for my Thyroid running overdrive.
    (I have opted out of Radiation to target two nodules that are producing too much. I am reluctant to choose Surgery. I am trying a diet of greens, veges, and lots of fruit! I drink distiled water to help my immune system fight off
    infection. Also the distiled insures that I am not drinking any floride or chlorine. How much Should I take of the Omega Fatty Acids, what else can I try?? I Welcome any real suggestions. Aloha Blue
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Marin Herbalist

Re: Natural Cure for HypoThyroid needed!!!

Your subject says "hypothyroid", but your email says that you're thyroid is running overdrive, which would be "hyperthyroid". I'm assuming you mean hyperthyroid.

Were you ever on a long course of antibiotics? We sometimes see hyperthyroid cases come up when the immune system has been suppressed. With hyperthyroid conditions, there are a fewherbs that can help cool the thyroid: lemon balm, motherwort and bugleweed. Also, Reishi or Siberian Ginseng are helpful. Also, some dietary suggestions would be: no coffee, no stimulants of any kind. Tofu and cruciferous veggies are cooling to the thyroid as are raw veggies. Quercitin can also be cooling to the thyroid depending on what the source is.

Your best bet is to schedule a consultation with an alternative practitioner as we treat the whole person and not just symptoms. This approach leads to greater treatment success.

3. TopTop #3
    dladams

Thyroid overdrive is a serious issue. It tends to be heriditary for women in a family. My grandmother, mother, sister and I have all dealt with it. Or not. It killed my sister after she was "cured" by a local chiropractor. The danger is the stress it puts on your heart, and many other systems in your body. She died of a heart attack when she was 49. I accepted the treatment offered by my doctor at Kaiser, which was a drug called Tapazole (not sure of spelling), and it got better over several years. Many side effects to this drug too, but I am off it now and have my thyroid checked every 6 months.
    Whatever you do, keep monitoring your TSH and T4s, T uptake and FTI levels. It's a simple blood test to have done.
    There is a "natural desiccated thyroid drug" called Armour Thyroid made by Forest labs. There are other, described in a book, Living Well with Hypothyroidism, that you are welcome to borrow.

Deborah

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jimandbluedavis: View Post
    I am a Female and looking for the best cure for my Thyroid running overdrive.
    (I have opted out of Radiation to target two nodules that are producing too much. I am reluctant to choose Surgery. I am trying a diet of greens, veges, and lots of fruit! I drink distiled water to help my immune system fight off
    infection. Also the distiled insures that I am not drinking any floride or chlorine. How much Should I take of the Omega Fatty Acids, what else can I try?? I Welcome any real suggestions. Aloha Blue

4. TopTop #4
    helenscott08

I had nodules on thyroid back in 86 and did have the operation. Since then lots of problems getting right adjustment of thyroid so always read everrything I find on the subject. I found a lot of very useful information from MARY SHANNON'S, STICKING OUT OUR NECKS, WHICH I THINK you can find in ABOUT.COM. If you can't find the info you need about thyroid treatments, problems, etc. there, I doubt you will find it any where else.

GOOD LUCK to you.

Helen Scott

Last edited by Barry; 08-21-2007 at 12:32 PM.

5. TopTop #5
    steph

Best bet is to see a good alternative health practioner. Dr. Shames at Preventive Medical Center in San Rafael wrote a book on this. (thyroidpower.com).

Another resource to check out is Iodoral (www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/opt_Iodoral.htm). Another Marin doctor, Guy Abraham did research on this. It's iodine combined with iodide which is supposed to make it more effective. Need to use under medical supervision, because it can affect thyroid hormones.

Good healing-

6. TopTop #6
    Karen

Check out the website ithyroid. It's a leading-edge resource for natural thyroid treatment. Also, check out Solomon's thyroid section at about.com. She has some info on a natural replacement rather than the common synthetic. I think whether or not you can do without replacement hormones depends on what's driving your disease.
    Dr Eric Gordon in Santa Rosa may have some assistance to offer. Call and ask. Good luck!