Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Braggi

Why Our Parents Started Smoking

https://lane.stanford.edu/tobacco/

Posters of doctors, dentists, babies, beautiful girls all hawking cigarettes.

Pretty amazing what they got away with.

Click on the thumbnails on the bottom to change images.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Re: Why Our Parents Started Smoking

I remember leafing through copies of Life magazine in the library archives and being astounded by the ads for cigarettes ("smoke before, during, and after meals, as an aid to digestion"). There was also an issue after Pearl Harbor which described in detail the differences between Chinese and Japanese facial structure, because people were mistakenly beating Chinese people, thinking that they were Japanese; this article would help you get the right guys....

Sara S.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Braggi: View Post
    https://lane.stanford.edu/tobacco/

Posters of doctors, dentists, babies, beautiful girls all hawking cigarettes.

Pretty amazing what they got away with.

Click on the thumbnails on the bottom to change images.

3. TopTop #3
    karenclark

Thanks for sharing this... It made me think: What's our "thing" they will be shocked at, looking back at the media of our generation? Maybe the sex and violence...? I can only hope by the time our kids are adult that nonsense will be a thing of the past!

4. TopTop #4
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by funfelt: View Post
    What's our "thing" they will be shocked at, looking back...Maybe the sex and violence...? I can only hope by the time our kids are adult that nonsense will be a thing of the past!
    I'm really tired of hearing the phrase "sex and violence", as if the two are related or similar. Let's get it straight, folks, violence is (mostly) bad; sex is (mostly) good, and sex is no more related to violence than is history, sports, art, or anything else you can name. I urge those of you who are disturbed by sex to see a psychotherapist and try to work out your issues. Yes, I know that we're all conditioned to be prudes in this repressed patriarchal society, but c'mon, let's get over it!

Dixon