Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Allen

Question for an Electrician regarding Wire Size??

I need to run a temporary power line from my service panel (at the meter) to my travel trailer so I can run a 1500 watt electric heater and a few and lights. I have a 200 amp service and need to go 200 feet. What wire size should I use I will probably put it 6" underground direct burial or in a conduit just to keep it safe from damage. This is a temp. line while I work on our home site this fall. Thanks in advance. Allen.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    pingpong

Re: Question for an Electrician regarding Wire Size??

Hello, here is a link to an online voltage drop calculator.
    https://www.csgnetwork.com/voltagedropcalc.html
    It shows that in your situation #10 copper will work. #8 will allow for hardly any voltage drop but is probably overkill in a temporary hookup.
    Of course if it isn't run in conduit use direct burial (type UF) wire. Circuit breaker should be no larger than 20 amp. Code doesn't allow the trench to be as shallow as you said. Needs to be 18" deep.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Allen: View Post
    I need to run a temporary power line from my service panel (at the meter) to my travel trailer so I can run a 1500 watt electric heater and a few and lights. I have a 200 amp service and need to go 200 feet. What wire size should I use I will probably put it 6" underground direct burial or in a conduit just to keep it safe from damage. This is a temp. line while I work on our home site this fall. Thanks in advance. Allen.

3. TopTop #3
    Big Bob

Re: Question for an Electrician regarding Wire Size??

Almost all travel trailers have a 30 amp plug on them, and you should consider providing a 30 amp outlet that matches your trailer plug. I got a good price on the water proof plug from an ebay seller "Pacific NW Mercantile" [email protected]. You need a 30 Amp 120V MIDWEST Outdoor Power Outlet RV, UO13P.
    200 feet is a little too far for #10 to carry 30 amps, and I reccommend the #8 copper.
    I agree that you need to be down 18". (rent a trencher, call and underground locator before you dig, you can gete the number from any utility company)
    Bob