Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dixon

How early should I arrive at the airport?

Folks;

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't fly much and need some info from those of you who are more savvy than I.

This Friday at 8:15 AM, I'm flying to Michigan for my dad's 80th birthday. What time should I arrive at the airport in order to be sure of catching my plane? (I won't be checking any luggage; I'm just taking a carry-on bag.) I know that increased security measures since 9/11/01 are time-consuming, but am not sure about the current situation.

So, what time should I get to the S.F. airport to catch my Friday 8:15 AM flight?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Dixon
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    ThePhiant

Re: How early should I arrive at the airport?

don't worry, Deity's get priority seating!
    make sure you bring no hand baggage or you will get the latex glove treatment! LOL
    Last edited by Barry; 07-10-2007 at 08:23 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    Salima

get there no later than 6:30

S

4. TopTop #4
    HeyKim

Hey Dixon! Good for your Dad - making it to 80!!! Lucky you! Now the flight question. If you have a direct flight getting there to have about an hour in the airport - after parking (checking in, security, peeing, buying your flight allotment of water after you check in) should be enough time though it will be a scurry. 90 minutes will give you more ease and no rush.

It is funny that I, of all people, am advising on flying - but in the last three months of have been on 8 airplanes, strikes me as very funny but true!

Enjoy your trip, Kim :-)
    Last edited by Barry; 07-10-2007 at 08:24 PM.

5. TopTop #5
    Tecumseh

Hello Dixon,

My congratulations as well on your father's 80th, very nice that you will be attending!

The airlines typically want passengers to arrive approx. 2 hrs. before departure, so 6:30 as recommended would be adviseable.

If you are taking the airport express, be certain to have exact fare on you.

If you are being driven by family or friend, ask yourself if they are typically punctual and if their vehicle is in shape to make the drive without chance of a flat or breakdown.

Either way you may wish to give yourself a little extra time to allow for traffic conditions. (We'd rather be sitting comfortably early than stressing out by being delayed/late).

Best wishes for a safe trip and lots of fun in Michigan!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Folks;

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't fly much and need some info from those of you who are more savvy than I.

This Friday at 8:15 AM, I'm flying to Michigan for my dad's 80th birthday. What time should I arrive at the airport in order to be sure of catching my plane? (I won't be checking any luggage; I'm just taking a carry-on bag.) I know that increased security measures since 9/11/01 are time-consuming, but am not sure about the current situation.

So, what time should I get to the S.F. airport to catch my Friday 8:15 AM flight?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Dixon

6. TopTop #6
    mweaver
    Supporting Member

Hey Dixon, Planes board 1/2 hour before departing, so an hour is just fine if you already have your seat reserved. (1.5 hours is requested). You can log on to most airline websites and print out your boarding pass ahead of time to make things go faster for you.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY you need to know new rules about baggage. All liquids (and that includes deodorant (or are you too pure?) toothpaste, and other stuff in tubes must be in 3 oz containers or smaller and ALL of them must be collected together in a 1 qt or smaller zip lock bag and kept apart during security check). Last winter I thought I had a carry-on bag and turned out I needed to either check it or throw out my shampoo, toothpaste, etc. I opted to go back and check my bag as I had time to spare. That includes no water for carry on. Must purchase plastic bottled water after you check in at an airport shop or just drink what they offer you on plane. Hope this helps and have a wonderful family reunion....feel I know some of em from your poetry. Happy Bday to Dad! Melissa
    Last edited by Barry; 07-10-2007 at 08:24 PM.

7. TopTop #7
    ThePhiant

there you have it!
    you see, The Phiant warned you,
    no respect for anyone these days

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mweaver: View Post

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY you need to know new rules about baggage. All liquids (and that includes deodorant (or are you too pure?) toothpaste, and other stuff in tubes must be in 3 oz containers or smaller and ALL of them must be collected together in a 1 qt or smaller zip lock bag and kept apart during security check). Last winter I thought I had a carry-on bag and turned out I needed to either check it or throw out my shampoo, toothpaste, etc. I opted to go back and check my bag as I had time to spare. That includes no water for carry on. Must purchase plastic bottled water after you check in at an airport shop or just drink what they offer you on plane. Hope this helps and have a wonderful family reunion....feel I know some of em from your poetry. Happy Bday to Dad! Melissa
    Last edited by Barry; 07-10-2007 at 08:25 PM.

8. TopTop #8
    Tecumseh

So true!

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot about the 3 oz./ qt. bag restrictions on lotions, potions & liquids!

I carry my own water in a sport bottle kept in a hip pouch and drink it on the trip down, pour out any that's left down the sink in the men's room, then refill it from a water fountain after going through security.

A qt. baggie can actually hold quite a lot...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-10-2007 at 08:26 PM.

9. TopTop #9
    ThePhiant

I had a 3,2 oz container of toothpaste, but it was half empty!
    nearly missed my flight after I told him where he should put it
    Last edited by Barry; 07-10-2007 at 08:26 PM.

10. TopTop #10
    Tecumseh

Hmmmmm.... think there'd be enough room for it with his head all up in there like that???

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ThePhiant: View Post
    I had a 3,2 oz container of toothpaste, but it was half empty!
    nearly missed my flight after I told him where he should put it

11. TopTop #11
    ThePhiant

well, I figures, one of them brown-nosers can use a little polish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tecumseh: View Post
    Hmmmmm.... think there'd be enough room for it with his head all up in there like that???
    Last edited by Barry; 07-10-2007 at 08:27 PM.