Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    decterlove

Alzheimer's resources?

I'm trying to help my sister in New York find some resources to cope with my mom's slowly progressive alzheimer's. I'll google it but does anyone know of any exceptionally good national or east coast resources for this ailment.

Any National/online support resources for my sister would also be helpful.

Thanks!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    gypsey

Re: Alzheimer's resources?

Although my mother does not have alzheimers but rather mini-strokes the bottom line is she has dementia and has been in assisted living since 2002, approximately several years after she was diagnosed. The truth is "resources" are few but information, is plentiful. You can call the local Council on Aging in Petaluma and they can give you the New York link, I believe you are eligible for a free counselling session and I think that would be a good place to start . They can then give you other links and places to go both online and in New York. I would definitely go online at AARP and make sure that your sister gets a membership for your mother--lot's of info. Each state offers different support and services and some offer none. Also, financial eligibility is an issue. For example, with my mother she is "over income" and inelgible for state-funded services even though her income doesn't begin to meet her care needs. Welcome to California, and thank God for Medicare Rx program.
    Stuff to know: this is a progressive disease and will only get worse. Planning is the key to your sister's sanity. Consult a geriatric attorney if you are having difficulty getting Power of Attorney and Health Directives from your mother; denial and the loss of a sense of empowerment often prevent parents from ceding this to their children; but if you wait until she can't understand what she's signing it will be of course, too late. Your mother needs a full diagnostic workup and some prognosis so your sister and you can plan for her care. Hopefully your mother can afford assisted living. After many trials and tribulations I was able to find an affordable and caring situation for my mother. This was after I let go of my middle class ideas about decor and neighborhood and got real about what matters: caring employees and good management. Nevertheless it isn't easy and still requires my constant oversight and involvement.
    Sorry to ramble and I do hope this was helpful to you.
    Good luck!
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by decterlove: View Post
    I'm trying to help my sister in New York find some resources to cope with my mom's slowly progressive alzheimer's. I'll google it but does anyone know of any exceptionally good national or east coast resources for this ailment.

Any National/online support resources for my sister would also be helpful.

Thanks!

3. TopTop #3
    AlzheimersWineCNTRY

Re: Alzheimer's resources?

Try the Alzheimer's Association, www.Alz.org we are a nation wide organization.