Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Anna G

Petition the Santa Rosa City Council to Pass a Resolution to Impeach

The standards for impeachment of Bush and Cheney have been met, the action is appropriate and the need compelling ....

If you live in Santa Rosa, please consider signing this online petition to the Santa Rosa City Council for a Resolution to Impeach. And please forward to any Santa Rosa folks you think would want to sign it.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/295181065

Thanks!
    ~ Anna

for further information on the Resolution to Impeach Coalition and the effort to make Sonoma County an Impeachment County!, you can visit:

https://www.pdsonoma.org/article/ive...ition-now-what
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    "Mad" Miles

Re: Petition the Santa Rosa City Council to Pass a Resolution to Impeach

Hey Anna,

Not to rain on your parade, but, before you expend a lot of time and energy trying to get a majority of the SR City Council to vote for an impeachment resolution, you might consider the following factors.

They wouldn't vote to even DISCUSS a Living Wage Ordinance, nor a No Forced Spraying Resolution.

(Forced spraying for the Glassy Winged Sharpshooter a vector for the incurable wine grape vine Pierce's Disease. We were fortunate to negotiate a deal with the County Ag Commissioner and the Grapegrowers to overcome the impasse. No thanks to the conservative and reactive business interests that dominate the SR City Council.)

The council is dominated by the minions of the North Bay Builder's Exchange and the Chamber of Commerce. In other words, conservative developer interests have a lock on the council.

With the impending resignation of Mike Martini (one of the long standing council majority allied with the interests that I just mentioned) and his and the other three seats held by those same interests opening up for the '08 election, all bets are off and there's a chance for a shift to the left, with community, environmental, labor and other non-elite interests getting a shot at shifting the majority to ourselves.

But expect beaucoup bucks to be spent to keep the developer lock on power. And a nasty campaign in which any candidate that threatens that lock to be vilified and slandered at every opportunity.

So, I would advise working to elect solid and resilient people who represent every day people, like us, rather than the financial elite.

It will be hard, but only a council majority representing the people in general, and not the real estate development interests that have always dominated that government, will even consider an impeachment resolution.

Without that shift in power, your effort is guaranteed to be dismissed as "not the responsibility of local government, divisive and unpatriotic" even in this day of majority opposition to the debacle known as the War in Iraq (and let's not forget Afghanistan!).

Good luck with your resolution, it is an important and noble effort. But thirty-three years of organizing, and many such efforts such as yours already engaged in (sometimes even successfully!) tells me that what I've just written is an accurate, albeit a bit general and truncated, description of the lay of the land.

Peace and Social Justice,

"Mad" Miles

:fist:

3. TopTop #3
    Anna G

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    Hey Anna,

Not to rain on your parade, but, before you expend a lot of time and energy trying to get a majority of the SR City Council to vote for an impeachment resolution, you might consider the following factors.
    ________

Miles - thanks for your reply. Now, I'm sure that in those thirty three years, you have seen at least one result that was 'never' going to happen? We know that many times, that which will never happen ... has.

We are not unaware of the history and general makeup of the SR City Council. I do appreciate the bit of detail you have supplied. Nevertheless, that is what we have to work with. And we will.

If you are not familiar with this site - https://www.afterdowningstreet.org/ .... please, when you have a bit of time, check it out. MUCH detail there about the growing movement around the country for impeachment. As mentioned in the second link supplied in my first post, at least 80 cities, 16 State Democratic Parties and many unions and organizations have passed Resolutions for Impeachment. I think about 13 or so State Legislatures have had Resolutions for Impeachment introduced and Vermont has passed one in its Senate. I think there were at least a few of those which were 'never' going to happen.

As you probably agree, Impeachment or perhaps more precisely, NON Impeachment .... IS a local issue. We have a well written piece by Donna Norton, which is part of the package we'll present to members of the City Councils in the County. It Supports a local Resolution to Impeach. One version of it is posted here: https://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/21024

There is lots more at AfterDowningStreet .. including terrific writing by David Swanson and lots of information, perspecive and rebuttal to any argument against Impeachment ... even the typical City Council argument that it is not a local issue.

We are gathering MANY signatures on our hard copy petitions. Believe me, the people here want it. We have petitions and signatures for all the City Councils. Some cities are just waiting for a few folks to step up to take this on and make it happen in their city. And if anyone knows of an organization or group that might want to Endorse this effort, please contact me.

Miles, I don't feel like you rained on my parade. But I would like to ask that, if you know anyone who is a Santa Rosa resident, please pass on the link I sent and give those friends and associates the opportunity to petition their City Council to do the right thing, defend the Constitution and pass a Resolution to IMPEACH. We would appreciate it a lot!

In unity for a Government of, by and for the People,
    ~ Anna

Last edited by Barry; 07-01-2007 at 01:06 PM.

4. TopTop #4
    Anna G

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Anna G: View Post
    ________

Miles - thanks for your reply. Now, I'm sure that in those thirty three years, you have seen at least one result that was 'never' going to happen? We know that many times, that which will never happen ... has.

We are not unaware of the history and general makeup of the SR City Council. I do appreciate the bit of detail you have supplied. Nevertheless, that is what we have to work with. And we will.

If you are not familiar with this site - https://www.afterdowningstreet.org/ .... please, when you have a bit of time, check it out. MUCH detail there about the growing movement around the country for impeachment. As mentioned in the second link supplied in my first post, at least 80 cities, 16 State Democratic Parties and many unions and organizations have passed Resolutions for Impeachment. I think about 13 or so State Legislatures have had Resolutions for Impeachment introduced and Vermont has passed one in its Senate. I think there were at least a few of those which were 'never' going to happen.

As you probably agree, Impeachment or perhaps more precisely, NON Impeachment .... IS a local issue. We have a well written piece by Donna Norton, which is part of the package we'll present to members of the City Councils in the County. It Supports a local Resolution to Impeach. One version of it is posted here: https://www.afterdowningstreet.org/node/21024

There is lots more at AfterDowningStreet .. including terrific writing by David Swanson and lots of information, perspecive and rebuttal to any argument against Impeachment ... even the typical City Council argument that it is not a local issue.

We are gathering MANY signatures on our hard copy petitions. Believe me, the people here want it. We have petitions and signatures for all the City Councils. Some cities are just waiting for a few folks to step up to take this on and make it happen in their city. And if anyone knows of an organization or group that might want to Endorse this effort, please contact me.

Miles, I don't feel like you rained on my parade. But I would like to ask that, if you know anyone who is a Santa Rosa resident, please pass on the link I sent and give those friends and associates the opportunity to petition their City Council to do the right thing, defend the Constitution and pass a Resolution to IMPEACH. We would appreciate it a lot!

In unity for a Government of, by and for the People,
    ~ Anna

P.S. -- I agree that we need to get good candidates on the City Council, etc. We need to do both.

In the current emergency, we need to call 911 so that we can get ourselves to the hospital and receive the oxygen of elected representatives who act in the interest of the common good, and obtain the necessary treatments for the restoration of vitality to the ailing heart of a government of, by and for the people.

But first, we must act to restore the heartbeat of democracy. We must administer citizen CPR.

Every moment the Democracy Vampires remain in office is a moment of dire possibility and danger - to the Constitution, the planet, countless lives and indeed, to our very safety and well being in this County.

We are but a small part of the nationwide Impeachment movement. But, the fact that one of the City Councils in this County may be difficult to convince of the need for a Resolution to Impeach, does not absolve us of the duty to act. We believe we can each do something. One thing. Breathe, one-two-three .....

peace,
    ~ Anna