Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    bludogger

Recycling Batteries, AA type, not car

Any one know where to recycle batteries ? (not car batteries)
    Thanks!
    Karen
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    glenneth

Re: Recycling Batteries, AA type, not car

I believe Radio Shack used to offer this service. . Might be worth a call to see if they still do anyhow.

ARTfully, Sir Glenneth - from " the land of Cobb "

3. TopTop #3
    Lucky Girl

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bludogger: View Post
    Thanks!
    Karen
    There is a very comprehensive "A-Z REUSE & RECYCLING" section in the Sonoma Co. phone directory (AT & T). Generally, household batteries can be
    taken to the Household Toxics Facility, 500 Mecham Rd., Petaluma. Community Toxics Collections are held at various locations throughout the county at different dates, as well. Phone # for So. Co. Eco-Desk is 565-3375. Also www.recyclenow.org.

Linda

4. TopTop #4
    Dee Cope

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bludogger: View Post
    Thanks!
    Karen
    Contrary to what many people think, batteries - however small - are highly toxic and need to be disposed of properly. Ace Hardware in Sebastopol (I don't know if other Ace stores offer this service) will dispose of some batteries; otherwise, take them to the dump and make sure you get the right section for disposal. I keep my used AA, AAA batteries, etc. in a box until I get enough to make a trip worth my while.

As batteries are so toxic, and all too easy to toss, I would like to see the stores that sell batteries - Long's, Rite Aid, Target, etc. - have a "safe recycle policy" where used batteries can be returned for SAFE disposal. Wouldn't that be a great idea? Better than poisoning our drinking water with mercury and lead!!

Dee Cope

5. TopTop #5
    Tars

I dump my dry-cell batteries along with the scrap metal at the recycling center on the way into the county landfill. Since there are all sorts of metals in there, the batteries will be recycled properly at some point in the sorting/refining process.

6. TopTop #6
    happeemark

Karen,
    I highly applaud your interest in wanting to recycle the AA batteries , however in the future in order to not have 2 B concerned with recycling batteries, I would highly suggest purchasing a battery charger (multi sized) that can do AA, AAA, C & D batteries. When using rechargeable batteries, your helping the environment, keeping toxics out of the landfill and it feel really grrr888

Rechargeable batteries have come a long way & last a lot longer then the ones that first came out. If & when the nickel-metal hybride batteries die, Radio Shack and other places will take them.
    Helping the planet/environment one step at a time,
    In Peace & Harmony,
    Mark