Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    flygal

Help Save The Books!!

This weekend is the Friends of the Library Book Sale at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds. However, did you know that on Monday evening ALL OF THE BOOKS that were not purchased at the sale are just thrown into the dumpsters to become part of the landfill???

I know this because members of a local Boyscout Troop, which my son is a part of, are the ones who do all of the throwing away--as a community service project nonetheless!!

If you want to help "SAVE THE BOOKS", then let's get a dialogue going as to thinking of other ways to move the books. There has to be some group or organizations that could use these books. Will the Friends of the Library even allow this?

If nothing else, then it might be possible for you to show up late Monday evening and get your piles of books out of the dumpster!

Am I the only one who thinks this is a sad situation??
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    wildflower

Re: Help Save The Books!!

These books could be donated to the Prison Library Project.....
    PMB 128
    915-C W Foothill Blvd
    Claremont,Ca 91711-3356

You could box them (or Fof the Library could box them and contact the project for further instructions)...
    I called the head of this sale and he said they wouldn't do this anymore.
    maybe the local jail would want the books for their library.
    It is criminal to trash these old friends!
    This must stop!
    wildflower
    Last edited by Barry; 04-20-2007 at 01:08 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    markwjam

also, the library administration recently ordered thousands of books taken off the shelves and thrown away at the Coddingtown branch....employees were ordered to throw them in dumpsters...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by flygal: View Post
    This weekend is the Friends of the Library Book Sale at the Sonoma County Fairgrounds. However, did you know that on Monday evening ALL OF THE BOOKS that were not purchased at the sale are just thrown into the dumpsters to become part of the landfill???

I know this because members of a local Boyscout Troop, which my son is a part of, are the ones who do all of the throwing away--as a community service project nonetheless!!

If you want to help "SAVE THE BOOKS", then let's get a dialogue going as to thinking of other ways to move the books. There has to be some group or organizations that could use these books. Will the Friends of the Library even allow this?

If nothing else, then it might be possible for you to show up late Monday evening and get your piles of books out of the dumpster!

Am I the only one who thinks this is a sad situation??

4. TopTop #4
    Roland Jacopetti

Hi, People. Please, please, please...do NOT save the books! There are way more books in this world than are needed, and most of them are dreadful. No, no, don't throw them on landfill, otherwise we'll all be knee-deep in books. Books are NOT sacred objects! The vast majority of books that have been printed since the invention of movable type are unreadable, and should be put out of their misery. PLEASE don't waste valuable time trying to save books which NO ONE willever read. To give such books to prisons, hospitals, senior centers, rehab centers is insulting to those institutions. "Here - no one wants to read these awful old books, so you have them. You're underprivileged, and will accept anything that's printed." Unfair! I really hope those books can be recycled. If they can't, I hope someone figures out a way to recycle them. This is pollution that CAN be stopped! I could go on and on - as a matter of fact, I have gone on and on. And don't bring me any of those stupid books!

Roland Jacopetti

5. TopTop #5
    Tinque

I thank you for this information ! I am a teacher and a book lover and I will come salvage and donate to anyone who would be excited about a new book as I always am ! I found the most Beautiful Dictionary in a dumpster and I felt like I found the gold at the bottom of a rainbow !
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildflower: View Post
    These books could be donated to the Prison Library Project.....
    PMB 128
    915-C W Foothill Blvd
    Claremont,Ca 91711-3356

You could box them (or Fof the Library could box them and contact the project for further instructions)...
    I called the head of this sale and he said they wouldn't do this anymore.
    maybe the local jail would want the books for their library.
    It is criminal to trash these old friends!
    This must stop!
    wildflower

6. TopTop #6
    steven toth

Please post the hours of the sale so I can be there (and hopefully other people who want to stop this waste) to box up my share of the books for the prison population. Thanks
    Steven
    Last edited by Barry; 04-20-2007 at 10:04 AM.

7. TopTop #7
    flygal

Quote Posted in reply to the post by steven toth: View Post
    Please post the hours of the sale so I can be there (and hopefully other people who want to stop this waste) to box up my share of the books for the prison population. Thanks
    Steven
    The Hours are here and I copied them from the website. Here is a link to their site as well: https://www.sonoma.lib.ca.us/friends/SantaRosa_bk.html

SPRING 2007 BOOK FAIRE - April 20 - 23, 2007
    • Friday from 3 - 7:30 p.m. - Preview sale - $5 admission
    • Saturday from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    • Sunday from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. - Half Price day
    • Monday from 2 - 7 p.m. - Bag Day - all books $4 a bag
    Upcoming sales
    FALL 2007 - October 19 - 22, 2007
    SPRING 2008 - April 18 - 21, 2008
    FALL 2008 - October 17 - 20, 2008

8. TopTop #8
    Cat Swan

book lovers,

The library at El Camino High School in Cotati is practically empty of books. There are only computers. Perhaps they would want the books. I was taught that books should NEVER be thrown away! That makes me sad to hear that people are putting good books in the trash.
    Another group that distributes unwanted books is the Rotary Club.
    Good Luck!
    Cat Swan

9. TopTop #9
    Dynamique

At some point all books become obsolete or outdated and need to be retired in some way.

How about taking the covers off of the hardbound books and then depositing them at the recycling center? Global on Santa Rosa Ave. will take books (or at least they did a while ago). They are processed like magazines/catalogs or newspapers.

If all else fails, there's always an old-fashioned book-burning. Use them for kindling to get a neighborhood bbq/bonfire going. It would build espirit de corp and recover *some* of that embodied energy. There's an amazing amount of energy and material used in printing. It would be in everyone's best interest to find an alternative.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Roland: View Post
    Hi, People. Please, please, please...do NOT save the books! There are way more books in this world than are needed, and most of them are dreadful. No, no, don't throw them on landfill, otherwise we'll all be knee-deep in books. Books are NOT sacred objects! The vast majority of books that have been printed since the invention of movable type are unreadable, and should be put out of their misery. PLEASE don't waste valuable time trying to save books which NO ONE willever read. To give such books to prisons, hospitals, senior centers, rehab centers is insulting to those institutions. "Here - no one wants to read these awful old books, so you have them. You're underprivileged, and will accept anything that's printed." Unfair! I really hope those books can be recycled. If they can't, I hope someone figures out a way to recycle them. This is pollution that CAN be stopped! I could go on and on - as a matter of fact, I have gone on and on. And don't bring me any of those stupid books!

Roland Jacopetti

10. TopTop #10
    irecycle

Hi all,

If the hard back covers are removed, the debris boxes that Santa Rosa and Recycling donates for this Library fundraiser can be directed to their recycling recovery facility in Santa Rosa. All paper backs can be recycled with covers.

I wonder if the Friends of the Library could use some volunteers at their event? If so, perhaps those folks interested in donating specific genres of literature or reference books would be invited to take stuff for their favorite non- profit.

Pam
    Last edited by Barry; 04-22-2007 at 08:10 PM.

11. TopTop #11
    nicofrog

Help save the humans!

The good will and Salvation army throw away hundreds of tons of books every year,but if you think about it , It's the consumers who are discarding them, the tv takes up less space , and books need careful dry storage, a luxury to all but the rich.Computers can play games! Most people do not realize each goodwill spends about $10,000 a year on discards .(and the wont let you scrounge the dumpsters) For some bizarre reason paper recyclers will not recycle books??! However worms will eat them if you throw them in a hole in the back yard and cover them with hay. good compost in about 5 years.They can also be used as "Bricks "for natural building, a great insulator. And you can start fires with them if you care to sit there tearing them up!Paper STINKS when burnt in large quantities .I guess we should feel lucky there's no one with a machine gun making sure you don't try to rescue a book or two!
    Hey any rich grape barons want to donate a ware house for endless book storage?:-) I have some other stuff to! Nico [email protected]
    Last edited by Barry; 04-25-2007 at 12:30 PM.