It's that time of the year when us gardeners are getting the veggie & flower gardens ready for the warm months. I'm wondering what people are growing around here - what's their favorite variety - what's the most unusual item they're growing, how big's their garden, etc.

As with most, my favorite veggie is tomatoes. I love the variety of types, and my favorite warm-month dish is a tomato salad - slices of several different varieties with maybe a bit of sliced fresh garlic & a sprinkling of spices. I grow all different sizes & vatieties - this year I'm trying some seeds from a large green heirloom variety that I got at Whole foods. Hope it works out, those tomatoes are yummy! But at $4.99 a pound, they're an indulgence when purchased in the store.

I don't want to count the number of years where warm weather has tempted me to put starts in the ground, only to see the weather in April turn wet & cold. I usually lose most of those starts to snails or rabbits & have to start the whole thing over in May.

This year I'm going a different route, and I have all my veggie/flower starts in pots inside a big sunny window. They seem to all be growing fine. The tomato plants look to have some up to 2' tall, & hopefully even beginning to flower when I put them in the ground in May. If I'm lucky I should have some fruit in early June!

Tars