Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    "Mad" Miles

Hostile New Age Takeover of Yoga

Link precedes excerpted beginning of article:

https://www.slate.com/id/2162283

The Hostile New Age Takeover of Yoga

There's nothing worse than narcissism posing as humility.

By Ron Rosenbaum
    Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2007, at 4:37 PM ET
    Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against yoga—or Eastern disciplines in general. In fact, I've done tai chi exercises for many years.

No, it's the commodification and rhetorical dumbing-down of yoga culture that gets to me. The way something that once was—and still can be—pure and purifying has been larded with mystical schlock. Once a counterweight to our sweaty striving for ego gratification, yoga has become an unctuous adjunct to it.

There is the exploitative and ever-proliferating "yoga media." The advent of yoga fashion (the yoga mat, the yoga-mat carrier, and yoga-class ensembles). And worst of all, the yoga rhetoric, that soothing syrupy "yoga-speak" that we all know and loathe. (snip)

Last edited by Barry; 03-23-2007 at 02:45 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    ThePhiant

Re: Hostile New Age Takeover of Yoga

first Juggledude ( founding member)
    now you start complaining! (co creator)
    what kind of people is Barry hanging out with!

What's wrong with a bunch of slim, trim, fit and healthy women performing parlor tricks??????
    You may be a dancer. but would the circus hire YOU?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mad Miles: View Post
    Link precedes excerpted beginning of article:

https://www.slate.com/id/2162283

The Hostile New Age Takeover of Yoga

There's nothing worse than narcissism posing as humility.

By Ron Rosenbaum
    Posted Wednesday, March 21, 2007, at 4:37 PM ET
    Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against yoga—or Eastern disciplines in general. In fact, I've done tai chi exercises for many years.

No, it's the commodification and rhetorical dumbing-down of yoga culture that gets to me. The way something that once was—and still can be—pure and purifying has been larded with mystical schlock. Once a counterweight to our sweaty striving for ego gratification, yoga has become an unctuous adjunct to it.

There is the exploitative and ever-proliferating "yoga media." The advent of yoga fashion (the yoga mat, the yoga-mat carrier, and yoga-class ensembles). And worst of all, the yoga rhetoric, that soothing syrupy "yoga-speak" that we all know and loathe. (snip)

3. TopTop #3
    Dixon

(quoting an article) "...There is the exploitative and ever-proliferating "yoga media." The advent of yoga fashion (the yoga mat, the yoga-mat carrier, and yoga-class ensembles). And worst of all, the yoga rhetoric, that soothing syrupy "yoga-speak" that we all know and loathe." (snip)
    Yeah, and don't forget that most of these yoga magazine covers, such as the one you've attached, feature a gorgeous babe (and of course extreme flexibility can only make her more appealing!). I have no doubt that tits 'n' ass sells more yoga magazines, just like it sells everything else. But I miss the pictures of ugly old Indian yoga masters. I guess they have "no commercial appeal" (or as Frank Zappa used to say "Nullus prettii").

Ugly old white boy;
    Dixon

4. TopTop #4
    "Mad" Miles

Dixon My Man,

The picture was from the Slate.com article. It came over automatically when I copy/pasted the title and first three paragraphs.

I forwarded the article because I thought it made a useful and timely contribution to the science-skepticism vs. faith-supernatural debate that is endemic to this board (and every human society that I know of). It also echos some of the discussion about "The Secret", especially the comments about the commercialization of spiritual/mystical pursuits.

Everybody,

I just replied privately to "The Phiant". My email was emphatic but I do not think it violated the boundaries of respectful communication. And since I strongly believe in candor, upon further consideration I've decided to report it here.

The gist of my message was that I do not take anything he/she writes seriously and consider his/her contributions to this board to fit the definition of an internet trolls behavior.

I've held back my conclusion* about him/her from this board both publicly and privately, but when someone insults me, it is my practice to firmly respond. When someone consistently insults others, I note it, but leave it to them as rational, responsible, self-directed adults to defend themselves. Or to not defend themselves, as they choose.

* A conclusion I came to after only two or three of his/her first contributions quite a few months ago.

I've wondered about "The Phiant"s gender, but he/she has been very cagy about not revealing that information, as well as pretty much all other personal details about him/her-self. It has been an interesting thought exercise for me to idly ponder. And I've concluded that it really doesn't matter. In my fifty years of existence I've observed and/or experienced hostility by both men and women, as well as affection and comradery. So I see it as an example of how anyone can be a negative force on others. And Bog knows, I've been one at times. And a few more times I've been unjustly accused of being a jerk, or worse. So it's been a good opportunity for introspection as well.

There is one area of behaviour that I will compliment "The Phiant" on. That is his/her ability to stay consistently and carefully in the grey zone between satire and insult, between playful teasing and veiled demeaning. It is a true performance in the art of.... well, if I say what I think any more directly I would probably be guilty of violating the boundaries on this board that do not permit direct personal attacks. Perhaps I've already done so here, but if I have it is in defensive response, not by overt, unprovoked initiation of hostilities.

And should anyone conclude that anything I have written here is unacceptably hostile, I would like to note that if there were no limits on expression here, my response would be much more succinct, to the point and highly scatological. What you have just read from me represents a conscious exercise in self-control and diplomacy. And yes, I could probably work more on my skills as a non-violent activist and communicator. But that folks, is a much longer story.

"All we doin' is defenden"

Linton Kwesi Johnson, in a line from his song "The SPG is'a Murdarah"
    The SPG is short for the Special Patrol Group, Britain's tactical riot squads.

Have a good night!

"Mad" er than usual Miles
    Last edited by "Mad" Miles; 03-24-2007 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Clarification

5. TopTop #5
    ThePhiant

Dear Miles,

you mean to tell me I can be offensive to YOU without even trying???
    I had no idea it was YOU who really wanted to perform circus acts and parlor tricks.
    when I see the word "MAD" in somebody's name, I get all mushy inside and it make me shiver in my Wellingtons.

the bold lines below are mine, of course

Everybody,

I just replied privately to "The Phiant". My email was emphatic but I do not think it violated the boundaries of respectful communication. And since I strongly believe in candor, upon further consideration I've decided to report it here.
    Actually your email was pathetic and full of cowardice. if you have something to say, do it here. don't hide behind private emails to call somebody a name.

The gist of my message was that I do not take anything he/she writes seriously and consider his/her contributions to this board to fit the definition of an internet trolls behavior.

I've held back my conclusion* about him/her from this board both publicly and privately, but when someone insults me, it is my practice to firmly respond. and how exactly where you insulted to justify your strong, manly response??????????
    When someone consistently insults others, I note it, but leave it to them as rational, responsible, self-directed adults to defend themselves. Or to not defend themselves, as they choose.

* A conclusion I came to after only two or three of his/her first contributions quite a few months ago. this shows how clever you are!

I've wondered about "The Phiant"s gender, but he/she has been very cagy about not revealing that information, as well as pretty much all other personal details about him/her-self. It has been an interesting thought exercise for me to idly ponder. And I've concluded that it really doesn't matter. once again, this shows how clever you are
    In my fifty years of existence I've observed and/or experienced hostility by both men and women, as well as affection and comradery. So I see it as an example of how anyone can be a negative force on others. And Bog knows, I've been one at times. And a few more times I've been unjustly accused of being a jerk, or worse. So it's been a good opportunity for introspection as well.

There is one area of behaviour that I will compliment "The Phiant" on. flattery will get YOU nowhere, you silly MadMan That is his/her ability to stay consistently and carefully in the grey zone between satire and insult, between playful teasing and veiled demeaning. It is a true performance in the art of.... well, if I say what I think any more directly I would probably be guilty of violating the boundaries on this board that do not permit direct personal attacks. Perhaps I've already done so here, but if I have it is in defensive response, not by overt, unprovoked initiation of hostilities.I told, you, you are one clever MAN,
    and how, and what was it again that hurt your feelings, you silly MadMan?

And should anyone conclude that anything I have written here is unacceptably hostile, I would like to note that if there were no limits on expression here, my response would be much more succinct, to the point and highly scatological.
    Yep, a little self- knowledge doesn't hurt
    What you have just read from me represents a conscious exercise in self-control and diplomacy. And yes, I could probably work more on my skills as a non-violent activist and communicator. But that folks, is a much longer story.

"All we doin' is defenden"
    Uhm, what are you defending????
    I thought I should asks before I REALLY respond

love

Lulu
    (I am sorry, I looked it up, but my name is not a dutch swear word.
    it was a nice try by the ZenoPhobic professor)

Linton Kwesi Johnson, in a line from his song "The SPG is'a Murdarah"
    The SPG is short for the Special Patrol Group, Britain's tactical riot squads.

Have a good night!

"Mad" er than usual Miles[/quote]

6. TopTop #6
    Zeno Swijtink

Everybody,

DePhiant is in the rich tradition of the jester, fool, or narr. Every interesting bulletin board needs one I think.

https://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/640914.html

His 2nd level screen name is Lul DeGrote (Dutch for Giant Prick). Lul is now bastardized as Lulu, evoking the gender ambiguous character of the jester.

The quick wordplay on my name ZenoPhobia (litt. GodFearing) as a variant of Xenophobia suggests a way with words, characteristic of the jester.

PS Lul DeGrote has now officially changed his/her screenname to Lulu DeGrote further adding to the confusion (Lulu is the Dutch name of choice for an extremely seductive and elusive woman).

https://www.moviemeter.nl/images/covers/34000/34146.jpg

7. TopTop #7
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I have posted about ThePhiant's future involvement with Wacco here.

8. TopTop #8
    TayanaGirl37

Morning All,
    Sipping coffee and wandering around cyberland just because I can. I'm new to the area, new to the board and basically don't know any of you. So my investment in what does or doesn't happen here is pretty low at this time.

Background laid, I've gotta say this presented a really funny edge to me. Cyberland often seems to me like monkey mind, mindspin, mind chatter. I mean, it doesn't even really exist--okay sure, you could go to some computer and find the 0s and 1s if you really wanted to. However, in the most basic sense of having physical existence or choice or intention or awareness, it just ain't there (grammar selections on purpose).

And like most boards, we get into some stiff-legged, ancient-dog pissing contest over it. Over something that doesn't exist. Over a place where some people push boundaries they'd never touch in person. Yeah, some people will say exactly the same thing face-to-face; lots more wouldn't.

Yup, I have a warped sense of humor. This is an entertaining twist on being human, evolving to greater awareness, small community, and who knows what else. And communities have choice; that's all right as well. And get to choose to see the wavy, funny edge. Okay a newbie's said PLENTY. Have at it y'all.
    Last edited by TayanaGirl37; 03-25-2007 at 09:38 AM. Reason: typos

9. TopTop #9
    alanora

Welcome aboard!
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by TayanaGirl37: View Post
    Morning All,
    Sipping coffee and wandering around cyberland just because I can. I'm new the area, new to the board and basically don't know any of you. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 03-25-2007 at 10:22 AM.

10. TopTop #10
    TayanaGirl37

Quote Posted in reply to the post by alanora: View Post
    Welcome aboard!
    Thanks!

11. TopTop #11

Quote Posted in reply to the post by TayanaGirl37: View Post
    Cyberland often seems to me like monkey mind, mindspin, mind chatter. I mean, it doesn't even really exist--okay sure, you could go to some computer and find the 0s and 1s if you really wanted to. However, in the most basic sense of having physical existence or choice or intention or awareness, it just ain't there
    I beg to differ, it's a form of communication, not unlike the telephone. We havel choice, intention and sometimes awareness of our communication via the telephone, which is mostly satellite signals, but where do they exist in reality?

On the other hand, a fair case could be made that most human communication is just noise, no matter what the medium.

12. TopTop #12
    ThePhiant

Zeno

what a fine mess you got ME in now!
    didn't you know that the King always kills the Jester!!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    DePhiant is in the rich tradition of the jester, fool, or narr. Every interesting bulletin board needs one I think.

https://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/640914.html

His 2nd level screen name is Lul DeGrote (Dutch for Giant Prick). Lul is now bastardized as Lulu, evoking the gender ambiguous character of the jester.

The quick wordplay on my name ZenoPhobia (litt. GodFearing) as a variant of Xenophobia suggests a way with words, characteristic of the jester.

PS Lul DeGrote has now officially changed his/her screenname to Lulu DeGrote further adding to the confusion (Lulu is the Dutch name of choice for an extremely seductive and elusive woman).

https://www.moviemeter.nl/images/covers/34000/34146.jpg

13. TopTop #13
    alansky

On the other hand, a fair case could be made that most human communication is just noise, no matter what the medium.

This I agree with. Just look at YouTube. Occasionally informative or entertaining, yes. But also growing into the world's largest collection of useless junk. Looks to me like the internet is slowly sinking under the weight of the lowest common denominator, which (if the numbers get large enough) can never end up higher than a very low-level of mediocrity. What do you get if you put a million monkeys into the same box? A million monkeys drowning in their own excrement.