Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Meat Withdrawals - What to eat??

I have been meat free since Friday as a new years resolution, to quit eating meat all together. This is harder than I thought it would be, Cigerettes and drinking were a bit easy compared to the way I am feeling I think. I would love any ones comments of what I would do to stop the cravings and stay meat free. What do you eat and some easy quick fixes would be greatly appreciated! PEACE
    Last edited by Barry; 01-04-2007 at 02:47 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    rogue420

Re: Meat Withdrawals - What to eat??

The best advice I can give you from my life of experience is to indulge in meat as much as you want to. IF YOU CRAVE IT-YOUR BODY NEEDS IT! There has never been a shred of evidence showing that eating meat , like buffalo, even cow, is harmful to your body. Just make sure it is not polluted with pesticides or chemicals and is organic beef, you will be healthier for it. I don't care what all these vegan kooks say or do, they are the ones that are not healthy. Human bodies were created to survive and thrive WITH meat as part of their diet. The oils and fats in meat, (Not all meat, like crab and shrimp is not good for you, as well as pork is debatable- do your research, don't be stupid) are required by our bodies to function properly. Whoever sold you on meatless was a moron, sorry to tell you. The info you received about the health detriments of eating meat is felonious, at best, as most health conditions are caused by outside factors like chemicals poisoning your body. Only eat organic, period, and don't use chemicals to clean your home or brush your teeth with fluoride, ect ect. This is real stuff , not BS..... Why do you think they always say"This is bad for you and that is bad for you" then a year later, it all changes and so on? Chocolate is a powerful anti oxidant, cannabis kills cancer cells and pain and does NOT cause lung cancer, it prevents it, beef is good for you, fluoride and artificial sweeteners cause formaldehyde to form on your brain, and Johnson & Johnson Inc are your mortal enemies.... Expand your thinking... Don't be stupid and deny your body what it needs, animal fat.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-05-2007 at 10:16 AM.

3. TopTop #3
    AnneCatherine

I am only sharing my experience - not trying to get into a moral/ethical debate about to eat meat or not to eat meat. It's a very personal descion - geez how do you spell descion? Huh...oh well....it's very personal.

I've been a vegetarian for 28 years now. I grew up with meat at all three meals every day for 25 years of my life. It was hard to stop eating meat, so I can empathize with the cravings. I remember that I would allow myself to have BBQ spare ribs once a month for as long as I needed to eat them while I was changing my eating habits.

All I can suggest is that if you decide this is what you really want to do for yourself - that this is what is right for you - that you stick with it like you stuck with quitting smoking and drinking.

Not much help here, I guess.. I think I just wanted to post because I am envious that you found quitting smoking easier than quitting eating meat,as I have tried to quit smoking about 15 times now.

Good for you and good luck.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-05-2007 at 10:17 AM.

4. TopTop #4
    Cleansing Ministries

When the colon gets cleaned out a lot of cravings go away and you start wanting vegetables. My business is Cleansing Ministries. I do colon hydrotherapy with a gravity-fed colema board. I use coffee to help the liver detox. I use microcurrent to help the whole body release toxins and get moving again.

I also have vibrational and naturepathic remedies to aid in drainage, toning the lymph, cleaning the blood, and more.

I specialize in parasites. It is amazing how as they die off cravings go away and so do nightmares.

If you are interested give me a call: Karen at 707-545-4569
    Last edited by Barry; 01-05-2007 at 10:17 AM.

5. TopTop #5
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Thank you guyz; Jason u crazy dude, Karen you scare the hell out of me lady!!! Cathrine we should meet!
    Last edited by Barry; 01-05-2007 at 10:15 AM.

6. TopTop #6
    Intuitive One

Re: Meat Withdraws what to eat??

Hi,

I've been a strict vegetarian for 18 years. I did crave meat, too, but there are so many meat substitutes on the market that, if you incorporate them into your diet, I think they'll fill that void. here are some of my meal suggestions:

Yves turkey ground round (it's vegetarian) can be used in a pasta sauce.

Trader Joe's has frozen veggie meatballs that I really like.

Yves burger burgers and boca burgers taste similar to the real thing. put your condiments on them and you can barely tell the difference. if you have a big appetite, use two patties.

Make a stir-fry with mushrooms, scallions and seitan and serve over rice.

If you like chili, there are a lot of canned veggie chilis. I'm not a fan but they do fill you up.

Whole Foods deli section make a lot of veggie entrees. they're expensive but try some and, if you like them, create your own at home.

I love veggie tostadas and burritos and they fill you up.

if you like my suggestions, I'd be happy to provide you with more.

Stick with it. It's worth it. I know this sounds macabre, but what stops me from eating meat is hearing the animals screaming in the slaughterhouses (and they do). Once I read how animals are raised, transported and slaughtered, I swore off meat for good and never looked back, but I do love the smell of meat cooking.

Carol

7. TopTop #7
    Intuitive One

Hi,

I'm not sure why you're so angry toward vegetarians, but this lifestyle has been around for centuries and there are millions of us who are healthy and very happy with our food choices. Not every body needs or craves meat and to tell someone who's trying to quit a lifestyle that has most likely existed since birth, is unhealthy. Of course this person is having withdrawls -- he's been eating meat his whole life. I don't want to get into the health benefits of a meat-free diet because there are countless books on the subject, written by doctors, nutritionists and health care providers. If you want to eat meat, good for you and it seems like eating organic and pesticide-free is wise, but don't condemn us vegetarians as a group of stupid, ill-advised and unhealthy people. It couldn't be farther from the truth.

Carol

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rogue420:
    The best advice I can give you from my life of experience is to indulge in meat as much as you want to. IF YOU CRAVE IT-YOUR BODY NEEDS IT! There has never been a shred of evidence showing that eating meat , like buffalo, even cow, is harmful to your body. Just make sure it is not polluted with pesticides or chemicals and is organic beef, you will be healthier for it. I don't care what all these vegan kooks say or do, they are the ones that are not healthy. Human bodies were created to survive and thrive WITH meat as part of their diet. The oils and fats in meat, (Not all meat, like crab and shrimp is not good for you, as well as pork is debatable- do your research, don't be stupid) are required by our bodies to function properly. Whoever sold you on meatless was a moron, sorry to tell you. The info you received about the health detriments of eating meat is felonious, at best, as most health conditions are caused by outside factors like chemicals poisoning your body. Only eat organic, period, and don't use chemicals to clean your home or brush your teeth with fluoride, ect ect. This is real stuff , not BS..... Why do you think they always say"This is bad for you and that is bad for you" then a year later, it all changes and so on? Chocolate is a powerful anti oxidant, cannabis kills cancer cells and pain and does NOT cause lung cancer, it prevents it, beef is good for you, fluoride and artificial sweeteners cause formaldehyde to form on your brain, and Johnson & Johnson Inc are your mortal enemies.... Expand your thinking... Don't be stupid and deny your body what it needs, animal fat.

8. TopTop #8
    Si'paz

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mykil:
    I have been meat free since Friday as a new years resolution, to quit eating meat all together. This is harder than I thought it would be, Cigerettes and drinking were a bit easy compared to the way I am feeling I think. I would love any ones comments of what I would do to stop the cravings and stay meat free. What do you eat and some easy quick fixes would be greatly appreciated! PEACE
    eat fruit! :coach: www.foodnsport.com

9. TopTop #9
    rogue420

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Natural Pages Gal:
    Hi,

I've been a strict vegetarian for 18 years. I did crave meat, too, but there are so many meat substitutes on the market that, if you incorporate them into your diet, I think they'll fill that void. here are some of my meal suggestions:

Yves turkey ground round (it's vegetarian) can be used in a pasta sauce.

Trader Joe's has frozen veggie meatballs that I really like.

Carol
    Blah Blah Blah --- YUK! That crap tastes like, well, crap...

It is VERY obvious to me that you veg heads out there are FOoLING YOURSELF but more sadly you are fooling or trying to fool your own body into thinking that it is eating meat when it is fact not. Your body does not lie toyou, you lie to yourself. If your body is craving meat, it is because IT NEEDS MEAT! There is no substitute for the real thing, period. If you did not need it, you would not crave it, hence all the "meatless wonder" products out there that try so hard to taste like meat, just so you can try to fool your body , that is bullshit. You are only stressing your body out more by depriving it of meat.Every vegetarian I know gets sick 10 times more often than I do and generally dont look very healthy at all, especially vegans, they look like death walking, skin taught over their body frames, lacking the true nutrition they need. The oils that are in meat is needed by our bodies in order to lubricate our joints and ligaments, otherwise you cannot get this with just eating veggies.Our whole digestive system and body is setup and designed to devour meat AND veggies and chocolate.mmmmm chocolate....

10. TopTop #10
    taishon

Do it gradually... over the course of, say, 15 years.

During years 1-5, give up red meat and pork.

Years 5-10, give up poultry.

Years 10-15, cut out fish and seafood.

I read this in a book somewhere and it worked for me. I started giving up meat 16 years ago and just recently made the leap to an all-vegetarian diet (it helps that there are other vegetarians in the family).

Good luck! :shades:
    (taishon's wife)

11. TopTop #11
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rogue420:
    Blah Blah Blah --- YUK! That crap tastes like, well, crap...

If you did not need it, you would not crave it, hence all the "meatless wonder" products out there that try so hard to taste like meat, just so you can try to fool your body , that is bullshit.
    Hello "Rogue",

You appear to be living up to your name (although I can't speak to the 420, but perhaps that's involved too). While I disagree with your point of view it is welcome it here. However I have more of a problem with how you are expressing your view.

One of the main guidelines here is to treat each other with respect. Your comments here, as well as on the volcano thread, appear somewhat less than respectful. Please be more mindful of how you "speak" to others here.

Thank you,
    Barry

12. TopTop #12
    carmen ferraz

Just make sure you get protein in your diet thru fish and eggs and cheese and milk and food combinations that make complete proteins, can't remember what the combos are but you could look it up, it's something like pasta and cheese, or beans with rice, nutritionists can help, look on the internet. Good for you for making the decision, one by one we can change the world, it all starts with our own choices. The earth would be served much better if we all humans would not eat meat, or so much meat that it tilts the earth's resources out of balance. Not to mention the cruelty inherent most of the meat industry. It's hard to be 100% meat, cruelty, and pesticide free, but we're on the journey towards that.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by r3miracles:
    Hi,

I stopped eating beef, poultry and pork at the end of October. I still eat fish and eggs, but do hope to eliminate them from my diet soon. I have found that as long as whatever it is I'm eating has flavor and texture (I love hot, spicy, flavorful and crunchy food!) - I'm good to go. I've tried to look at what it is that I received from eating the meats I've mentioned above, and for me, I believe it's the craving for fat and the texture. I've also found it interesting to look at my relationship with food, and most especially with the foods I choose to put in my mouth. There are many vegetarian alternatives on the market, but often I have found many of them to be loaded with sodium and ingredients I can barely manage to speak, let alone spell! For me, creativity is key, along with a healthy dose of being kind and gentle with myself. Nuts, seeds and peanut butter have worked well for me as snacks - along with any fruit or vegetable that's fresh, crisp and crunchy. If it's too challenging to cut meat out of your diet completely, maybe eliminate one item at a time. I can't resist recommending... but if you're ever in SF or Berkeley, try Cafe Gratitude. (I have only been to the Berkeley location, so my recommendation is based on my experiences there.) The food is delicious - I love the food! The atmosphere is the best! You can check them out at www.cafegratitude.com. Good luck on your journey!

13. TopTop #13
    miz editor

I sympathize -- handfuls of nuts or if that's too bland, trail mix with nuts; lots and lots of oil on your food, the healthy kinds like olive, hemp, flax, walnut, and esp. coconut oil (the solid kind, organic, unrefined) -- put it on things you ordinarily wouldn;'t put oil on, like try spreading lots of coconut oil on your toast before the peanut butter or jam, it's incredibly good. Or if having a bean burrito, drizzle it with olive oil. Heavy foods like veggie lasagna, pizza, burritos, etc.
    I sympathize -- eating a meat-meal gets me thru the day, a non-meat meal and I'm hungry in a couple of hours and end up nibbling all day. Unfortunately, I tend to gain weight as a veggie/vegan, and lose when I eat meat. I too am looking for fixes for this, as for ethical reasons I'd love to quit meat -- despite numerous chinese drs. telling me I shouldn't. I think there's a way to do it right. And I don't like nuts!! Are you trying for vegan or just veggie? If not vegan, lots of cheese and yoghurt might help. Best of luck and keep us posted.

14. TopTop #14
    Si'paz

or you can quit killing yourself with high fats and eat mostly fruit, bananas this time of year, like i have for 5+ years and ill challenge any of you to a fitness or any health test.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by miz editor:
    I sympathize -- handfuls of nuts or if that's too bland, trail mix with nuts; lots and lots of oil on your food, the healthy kinds like olive, hemp, flax, walnut, and esp. coconut oil (the solid kind, organic, unrefined) -- put it on things you ordinarily wouldn;'t put oil on, like try spreading lots of coconut oil on your toast before the peanut butter or jam, it's incredibly good. Or if having a bean burrito, drizzle it with olive oil. Heavy foods like veggie lasagna, pizza, burritos, etc.
    I sympathize -- eating a meat-meal gets me thru the day, a non-meat meal and I'm hungry in a couple of hours and end up nibbling all day. Unfortunately, I tend to gain weight as a veggie/vegan, and lose when I eat meat. I too am looking for fixes for this, as for ethical reasons I'd love to quit meat -- despite numerous chinese drs. telling me I shouldn't. I think there's a way to do it right. And I don't like nuts!! Are you trying for vegan or just veggie? If not vegan, lots of cheese and yoghurt might help. Best of luck and keep us posted.

15. TopTop #15
    Edddddd

I am a serious carnivore. sometime I do a cleansing for anywhere from 1 to 12 months, no meat or fish is a big part of it. It is good to mix different kinds of beans and lentils, milk and cheese will help if you are still doing dairy, add a grain called Quinoa to everything possible and add a little olive oil or even some more exotic oils like Flax, Hemp, and so on to stuff and dont forget the Braggs spray bottle everyehere you go.

Peace and good luck Ed
    Last edited by Barry; 02-10-2007 at 01:16 PM.

16. TopTop #16
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

What I did was substitute TVP (textured vegetable protein) for meat in all of my favorite meat recipes. This is a soy product (same as they use in the veggie burgers, etc.) and is available at Community Market in various sizes and shapes, to mimic ground meat, chicken chunks, etc. This way I was getting plenty of protein, and didn't feel deprived at all. There's a little characteristic taste to the TVP, so it was best in more highly seasoned recipes (spaghetti, taco filling, and the like), but still was fine in any dish usually made with meat. Alas, I only lasted for about a year and a half; my downfall was giving in to a craving for bacon & tomato sandwiches with my home-grown tomatoes, but I don't believe I was ever healthier than that year or so, Best wishes!
    lladro

17. TopTop #17
    mykil
    A Really Cute Guy

Well it's been Two Months and no worries

I have been meat free for a whole two months know and I really don't seem to have any problems what-so-ever with the whole meat free diet thingy at all. I am an excellent cook so this helps. As far as what I have been eating, this has been changing on a daily basis. I have learned a few new tricks and am having a great time preparing meals finally. It was a bit challanging to begin with, but I believe I am over it completely at this point. Yves is by far the best meat susitute I have found to date! Although I don't use a lot of those products at all. I geneally eat Vegatables in a sauce form over something like Spaggetti or rice.

Thank you for all the great advice from the Peanut Gallary. [the wonderful community we live and breath in], and I am still open to new recipes and advice to make my transistion a little sounder and flavorsome!
    Last edited by mykil; 03-12-2007 at 10:01 AM.

18. TopTop #18
    Intuitive One

How wonderful to read that you're doing great without meat! I've been a strict veggie for over 17 years and I feel great. I just started taking powdered barley grass because it's very high in protein and nutrients and I like knowing that I'm getting enough of both. I recently tried a fake chicken made by the co. that makes Soyrizo. It was quite good. I wish you continued success in living a more cruelty-free lifestyle!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by mykil: View Post
    Well it's been Two Months and no worries
    Last edited by Barry; 03-04-2007 at 09:37 AM.