Hello Waccoites:

My name is Laura Edwards and I am coordinating the logistics for the 2007 homeless count that will be happening at the end of January. Federal regulations require that every region receiving federal funds to help the homeless must now count homeless people every two years. If we don't report, we risk losing up to $2M in annual federal funding for housing, shelters, and supportive services.

I am looking for volunteers and donations. We need people to help count the homeless and we need donations of things homeless people use during the cold winter months. Jackets, blankets, sleeping bags, personal hygiene products, etc.

We are working with churches, service agencies, local governments and the County of Sonoma, and interested individuals. We are also working with local police departments to suspend any planned sweeps of the homeless and to help us locate, interview, and connect people with existing services.

If you have something to donate, if you are interested in helping to solicit donations and/or you would like to get involved in counting the homeless, please contact me.

Laura Edwards, Logistics Coordinator
Sonoma County Task Force for the Homeless
707-578-4161
[email protected]