Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Laura Hagar Rush

What to do about the growth of Qnon in progressive circles?

A friend called me yesterday because another progressive, west county friend of hers has been absorbed in the national delusion known as QAnon. I hear that the Sebastopol Nextdoor is struggling suddenly with a proliferation of Q talk as well. What’s going on? My friend is thinking about some kind of community response – though she’s not sure what kind. Any ideas?

Just a heads up that I have kicked off this discussion on Townsy Cafe, if you would like to join in there:

https://www.townsycafe-westcounty.com/t/what-to-do-about-q-in-progressive-west-county/376

Last edited by Barry; 02-04-2021 at 10:28 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Goat Rock Ukulele

Re: What to do about the growth of Qnon in progressive circles?

As the virus gets under control the madness of Q will fade, at least to a tolerable level. Most of this stuff comes directly from Alex Jones radio show. He has a podcast. Every once in a while I listen to it to see where these people are coming from. He is making a lot of money spewing so it isn't going to stop.

Conspiracy has always been with us and always will be. This is not something new. Many on the left are convinced George Bush took the Twin Towers down and how it could not collapse by fire and must have been controlled demolition. KPFA was pumping that one. That is on par with many of the Q conspiracies.

I don't think you can do much about it when someone gloms on to a crazy notion other than with an open heart call it into question.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Laura Hagar Rush: View Post

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    M/M

Re: What to do about the growth of Qnon in progressive circles?

In line with: 'If we don't learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it.' I think this topic needs great care and consciousness around it. All our thinking is being influenced in various ways - ways we may be conscious of and ways we may not be. The very fact that a friend raises concern - seemingly 'right on schedule' - rather illustrates this.

While not an optimal article - consider: The Q-Word: Weapon of Choice for Smearing Opponents
    https://consortiumnews.com/2021/02/0...ing-opponents/

Quote But for the past few months on social media and cable TV, there has been a dramatic uptick of pundits and shady online operatives turning Q accusations into modern-day Salem witch trials. Q is now a talking point, and painting someone with that brush can completely discredit them — even those who are innocent of the allegation.

On some days, it seems that America has entered the sort of dystopia Aldous Huxley described in his classic novel Brave New World. If this doesn’t give you pause, it should.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Laura Hagar Rush: View Post

6. Gratitude expressed by: