Hello Sonoma County community!

My name is Seed and I am a queer, non-binary trans educator and artist and I'm excited to be offering an outdoor mentorship program for queer teens and allies this spring! You can find out about the Metamorph Mentorship Spring 2021 Cohort below. If you're interested please send me an email at [email protected] for more information!

Program Overview:
The goal of the Metamorph Mentorship program is to create a fun, safe opportunity for queer teens and allies to be outside learning and growing with their peers. This program will be offered once a week, outside, with masks, keeping distance as much as possible. Since it is a childcare program it is considered an essential service. I have experience running outdoor programs while implementing COVID protocols. We can chat more about those protocols if you have questions.

Weekly sessions will focus on community building, nature connection, wilderness skills, art, movement, reflection, and rites of passage activities. Activities will be determined based on the interests and access needs of the youth and may include the following:
hiking*, stewardship, ethical wildcrafting of invasive or extremely abundant plants, herbal medicine making, magic, fire-by-friction, shelter building, camouflage, animal tracking, poetry, writing, photography, watercolor, natural dye, archery, creative writing, storytelling, natural sculpture building, knife safety and carving, games, and music-making.

*We will be hiking on rough terrain, both on trails and off trails, on rocks and fallen trees. The distance and challenge of the hikes will depend on the needs of the group. This program unfortunately will not be accessible by wheelchair users at this time. I value access and strive to make this program as accessible as it can be given it's setting. If there are ways I can make this offering more accessible to the youth in your life, please reach out by email.

In addition to the weekly program (and COVID depending), there could be one camping or backpacking trip around spring break and one camping or backpacking trip in May or June. At the conclusion of the program, there will be a community-supported rites of passage celebration cocreated with and for the youth to honor the ways in which they've grown individually and collectively over the course of the program.

Dates: One day per week (TBD by participants) March-June
Location: One cohort in Sonoma County and One cohort in the East Bay. Exact locations TBD based on needs of participants.
Cost: Sliding scale $100-$200/day, additional costs for optional COVID depending camping/backpacking trips. Scholarships and Work-trade options available for adults (i.e. website design/promotion/materials sourcing), No One Turned Away for Lack of Funds!

About Seed:
I have a decade of experience as an educator, most recently as a middle school and elementary school garden teacher and outdoor education program leader. I'm passionate about learning and continuing my own education. I am trained in trauma-informed teaching, non-violent communication, mentorship, and rites of passage. I value safety and am a Certified Wilderness First Responder as well as CPR and Epinephrine Certified. Outside I love hiking, biking, camping, backpacking, carpentry projects, surfing, and making nature art. Inside, I love writing poetry and fiction, making collages, cooking, playing music, and cuddling with my cat.

I look forward to connecting with you and the youth in your life!