Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Zeno Swijtink

"Why Aren’t We Wearing Better Masks?"

Where can we get locally these better masks?? - Zeno

The Atalantic posted an article today, Why Aren’t We Wearing Better Masks? – Cloth masks are better than nothing, but they were supposed to be a stopgap measure.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-masks/617656/

"America is swamped with fraudulent medical-grade masks, some of which are only 1 percent effective. Many masks do not have labels clearly indicating their manufacturer. Some official mask-testing methods are inappropriate, including the use of far higher pressure than normal breathing exerts. No reasonable certification is available for the most useful masks generally available to the public. All of this means that everyone has to somehow figure out for themselves which masks are effective."

They say that fixing this problem is "more urgent now that a new variant of the coronavirus, known as the B.1.1.7 lineage, is making its way around the world. This variant is believed to be about 50 to 70 percent more transmissible than earlier strains of the virus."
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    podfish

Re: "Why Aren’t We Wearing Better Masks?"

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    Why Aren’t We Wearing Better Masks? – Cloth masks are better than nothing, but they were supposed to be a stopgap measure.
    too many squirrels to chase. The Trump administration didn't care to get involved, anyway, but so much energy was spent and dispersed around whether to do them at all, that it was inevitable.
    A rational response, where early on the need for masks would be accepted, and energy could have been directed to maximizing production of PPE, was decided against. First you go for quantity, then you improve quality. But the free market doesn't shape it that way, and pitted battles with people who think the whole thing is bogus also got in the way.

Some things (like, electric cars) develop organically and slowly, with their value being questioned all the time. That's why they're not here yet. Some would say that's an appropriate way to deal with the pandemic too. Guess we're finding out!

3. TopTop #3
    geomancer

Re: "Why Aren’t We Wearing Better Masks?"

Since the new variant starting to take over, i have moved to wearing five-layer KN-95 masks when I'm in a store. They have a nice tight fit. I use the 3-layer masks when I'm out in the open.

You can get KN-95 masks at Ace for about $2.50 each (pack of 2). I got 40 of them on Amazon for $55.99. I let them sit for a day or so after each use.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Zeno Swijtink: View Post
    Where can we get locally these better masks?? - Zeno

4. Gratitude expressed by: