Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

How does it help to follow COVID 19 statistics?

I'm just wondering how it actually helps to know the numbers. Do you feel more fearful or less? How does knowing these numbers affect you?

I don't follow them myself. Can anyone tell me why I should? I don't understand how it will help me. Maybe you can share how it helps you.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    rossmen

Re: How does it help to follow COVID 19 statistics?

It helps me feel less fear. Numbers are numbers. We all interpret them different ways. The media uses them to incite fear. So when I hear and see news reports which play the numbers for fear I check out a wider context of statistics for reassurance that it's not as bad as reported. The reporting on Sweden is a good example of the disparity of calculated to alarm vs what's really going on.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post

4. TopTop #3
    cw707

I follow the numbers so that I get a sense of where we are as a county. It doesn't make me fearful, just more careful because I work with the public as an essential employee. The rising numbers remind me to be extra careful, makes me more aware of safety at work, for myself, coworkers and customers.
    It also reminds me of the loss of lives in our community, in community's all over the country, and the grief for their family's. I feel humbled by these losses, saddened, grieving in my own way for such losses. Maybe reading the numbers each day just helps me feel connected to all of our community.....
    Your question is much appreciated. Thank you.

5. TopTop #4
    Finell
    Supporting Member

I follow the local numbers closely. For me, it has nothing to do with mood or emotion. It is important to know about a dangerous, widespread health risk that affects my household and my neighborhood—and, in the case of COVID-19, far beyond my neighborhood. Having that knowledge informs the precautions that my wife and I follow to preserve our health.

My wife and I are healthy and reasonably fit, but we are in our 70s, so we know that a case of COVID-19 would pose a greater risk to us than to younger people. While the mortality rate is low even in our age bracket, we would have a greater risk of serious case, with severe discomfort, hospitalization, respiratory problems, and possible long-term lung or other organ damage.

Therefore, we are very cautious. We minimize contact with others. Most of the time, we stay home. We are fortunate that we can conduct our businesses from our home.

When we are out walking, we stay more than 6 feet (preferably 9 feet) away from others, and we go nowhere near anyone without a mask. When restaurants and some stores briefly reopened—with disastrous results for the community—we stayed home.

We have postponed non-essential health and dental care, and no visits to the barber or hair salon. We shop in person for groceries at stores follow cautious practices, such as Costco and Trader Joe's. Pacific Market is also cautious, so we bought special treats there 3 times. We will get flu vaccinations at Kaiser; we see that Kaiser is following extremely cautious practices. We also buy occasional take-out meals at restaurants, either for delivery or pick-up; we pay in advance, so we avoid person-to-person contact.

We have had several outdoor visits with three other couples
    but only one couple at a time—who are around our age and are also being careful, but we still stay at least 6 feet away. As the whether gets colder, we will have to reconsider visiting with these friends indoors. Indoors is much riskier that outdoors.

6. TopTop #5

It affects how careful i am out in the world. I do go out regularly, but I am extemly cautious, since both my wife and I have co-morbities (not sure I knew that word a year ago). I am glad that I am retired and don't have to choose between the risk of dying or starving. When there was less Covid in the county, I was less worried. Now I am that much more careful.