Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    CITIZENS COALITION

santa rosa citizens: stand your ground start watering your home with hoses

santa rosa citizens: stand your ground start watering you home with hoses
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    sealwatcher
    Supporting member

Re: santa rosa citizens: stand your ground start watering your home with hoses

A little late to organize neighborhoods but trust the work is already ongoing. Get the neighborhood together in some way and structure it to be sure each person is considered for what their needs are and what they can bring to the group. Here at Burbank Heights & Orchards in Sebastopol - Luther's experiment farm - we have someone in each building of our thirteen acres who calls to see how we are and what our plans are if we have to evacuate (again). We've an active emergency coordination group - it makes a positive difference if we can count on each other.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by CITIZENS COALITION: View Post
    "santa rosa citizens: stand your ground start watering you home with hoses "

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    wildinspired
    Supporting Member

The county is recommending people don't water down their homes because it takes water supply away from firefighters. That's what I saw in news...simply sharing and I imagine some might have a different take on this when it's your home you are defending!

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #4
    EmeraldMatra

For folks who can, consider storing rainwater, as much as possible, and set it up to sprinklers on the roof of the house. No one can complain (or regulate) if you water your house with water that you have collected yourself.

Wet Homes Don't Burn
    youtu.be/8BMOYC4qjH4

A better way to help Californians survive wildfires: Focus on homes, not trees
    https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-09-22/wildfire-safety-strategy

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildinspired: View Post

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    wildinspired
    Supporting Member

Great idea! let's hope there's some rain to collect; I believe that's part of the problem. May there be abundant rain to collect.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by EmeraldMatra: View Post

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    Jude Iam

YES!!!

Going forward:
    Mandating gray water systems for new construction and retrofitting existing structures would not only save precious water and save energy with vegetative 'insulation' but ALSO PROVIDE WET SURROUNDINGS to buildings.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by CITIZENS COALITION: View Post

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #7
    Glia

Another way to collect "free" water for the landscape and significantly reduce the fire danger for a home/structure: install a metal roof.
    Even a light fog or cool dewy night will generate enough water condensation on a metal roof to help keep a small area of ground or 1-2 shrubs moistened.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildinspired: View Post

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #8
    Moon

Re: santa rosa citizens: stand your ground; start watering your home with hoses

For four years I've had a little garden patch that I've successfully watered with grey water, which food particles make nutrient-rich. Also, starting 7/1 each year, I put each day's excess grey water into large containers, and late in the afternoon of July 4 I soak the ground touching my apartment building, especially the areas right under first-floor apartment windows.

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: