Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Karl Frederick

On the Eve of What??

Tonight I read two commentaries by immigrant writers who are very alarmed by recent trends in the United States. They claim to have been where we are now, and both are trying to shake us awake. An intro paragraph follows each title. Click the title to read the whole article. I want to believe both writers are functioning as prophets whose main contribution is to announce what they see and to motivate others to take the actions which will change the course of history and render the prophecy moot:

I Lived Through Collapse. America Is Already There

I lived through the end of a civil war. Do you know what it was like for me? Quite normal. I went to work, I went out, I dated. This is what Americans don’t understand. They’re waiting to get personally punched in the face while ash falls from the sky. That’s not how it happens.

We Don’t Know How to Warn You Any Harder. America is Dying.

We Survivors of Authoritarianism Have a Message America Needs to Hear: This is Exactly How it Happens, and It’s Happening Here.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

3. TopTop #2
    podfish

Re: On the Eve of What??

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Karl Frederick: View Post
    excellent finds, thanks. I agree.. the first article's descriptions of the social decay he saw all around him is different only in quantity, not quality, from the homelessness, unemployment, and imprisonment we have in our own society. I try to point this out once in a while -- when people make the argument "we can't afford to give everyone medical coverage" or "we can't afford to provide housing" we are tacitly endorsing the kind of world he describes in Sri Lanka. Because we're on our way there. Trump doesn't care, and those who find the Democrats not radical enough -- well, they're right because the dems won't go as far as necessary to 'fix' these issues. Sadly, I don't think anyone ever will, though. Can you point me at anywhere on earth or in history where a robust effort was made at solving social ills like these? I mean damn, even Christ, for Christ's sake, gave up and said "the poor will always be with us".
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: