Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Redirection
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    terryjones

Redirection

Hi Barry
    When I click on the button to go to forums I’m being redirected to weird sites. Don’t know if it’s to do with your site or my phone. Thanks for your help
    Terry
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    socoexpat

Re: Redirection

Same same. A little more info-

Never had this problem on my old macbook air. Charger recenly broke so been on iphone 6s- updated. Tech savvy and security concious...

Maybe 35% of the time- either at the main url or the first forum I click on- redirected to a bs “dating” or vpn site. This happens across multiple browsers

This is the ONLY site I have this problem

3. TopTop #3
    socoexpat

Quote Posted in reply to the post by terryjones: View Post
    When I click on the button to go to forums I’m being redirected to weird sites. Don’t know if it’s to do with your site or my phone.
    fyi- the redirection is to unafeed dot c o m
    Last edited by Barry; 10-12-2020 at 12:39 PM.

4. TopTop #4
    terryjones

I don’t understand why it would do that. I don’t like it and have stopped looking at Wacco for the most part. I worry it’s a virus or whatever.

5. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

When I click on the button to go to forums I’m being redirected to weird sites.
    Please describe exactly what button you are clicking on. Are you starting from the digest? It's best if you can include a screenshot.

6. TopTop #6
    socoexpat

Here’s a screenshot of the page I get redirected to.

Sometimes happens when opening the main page, more often when clicking on one of the forums.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-13-2020 at 11:47 AM.

7. TopTop #7
    socoexpat

The full url (i changed unafeed to xyz snd inserted a space so it’s not clickable. https: //xyz.com/click.php?key=0gel2225dfwbs6g3wymy&zone=not_found

8. TopTop #8
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Please tell me what you were clicking on to get to the spam site.
    Not where it takes you but how are you got there.

Is anybody else getting taken to spammy site when
    clicking on a system link on the WaccoBB website?
    Last edited by Barry; 10-13-2020 at 11:50 AM.

9. TopTop #9
    socoexpat

So, this happens across multiple browsers- all of which are up to date and set in private/incognito mode, with cookies and history wiped.

Sometimes i am redirected there when i first open waccobb.net. Sometimes more frequently it happens when I click on one of the forum categories (does not seem to matter which one, although I want to say it only happens on the first one I click. )

Once it has occurred it does not happen again in that session.

It has never happened clicking one of the topics within a forum category.

And as I said previously this is not happening on any other websites.

10. TopTop #10
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by socoexpat: View Post
    Sometimes i am redirected there when i first open waccobb.net
    How do you first open Waccobb.net? Do you type it in to your browser? Do you click on the shortcut in your browser? Are you going from an email? What browsers are you using?

Quote Sometimes more frequently it happens when I click on one of the forum categories
    So this happens when you are working at the WaccoBB homepage in your browser and you click on one of the category titles?

11. TopTop #11
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Does this is only happen on your phone? What mobile operating system are you using? What computer operating system are you using?

12. TopTop #12
    terryjones

This is the same redirect that I get. I am usually using iPhone to open and don’t know if it makes a difference but it’s iPhone 7

13. TopTop #13
    terryjones

Happens when clicking any button or sometimes when I click the wacco button in the email. It appears to happen on anything I click at random.

14. TopTop #14
    socoexpat

So let’s see. Iphone 6s, ios 14.0.1. It has occurred in safari, chrome, brave, and at least one other browser I had downloaded to check fresh. (All browsers kept updated)

When it happens accessing the main page, yes- I’ve typed the main url in manually, and it happens with cookies/cache/history all cleared.

15. TopTop #15
    socoexpat

A new behavior (and redirect URL) today that might help.

For the first time today when viewing the national politics category, when i clicked back in my browser I got the normal redirect. I’m not sure of the exact next series of events- I went back to my browsers start page, back to wacco by typing the url, and then, after an action or two when hitting back i get redirected to the page again, but this time it was malformed- no images, and a different URL- https://affiliates.natifico221. com/click?pid=1276&offer_id=2188&sub1=1276_waccobb_e6831 (spaces inserted to break link)

16. TopTop #16
    terryjones

On iPhone, clicked on wacco bb to go to forums from the daily newsletter. This is the screenshot:
    when I try to upload the screenshot it has error saying wrong file extension but it’s the same screenshot the other guy shows

17. TopTop #17
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I tried clicking on the wacco logo in the digest and the rectangular box in the upper right in the digest, both on my iphone, to get to the website and it works fine for me.

I could refer you to programmer who might be able to debug it if you let her inspect your phone remotely. If it turns out to be a Wacco issue, I'll pickup her bill. If not, it's yours

18. TopTop #18
    marv3lls
    0xc0de

If anything, it sounds like Javascript or even just HTML injection. The first thing that comes to mind is some weird DNS stuff... especially if it's cross-device.

19. TopTop #19
    socoexpat

^^^ yes- it looks like basic malvertising... seems likely it is coming from affiliate advertising, or even “legit” advertising from a small local web firm that doesen’t realize they were compromised.
    Maybe less likely, but possible in theory... i’ve never looked to see if waccobb is on a dedicated or shared server- if shared it is, at least remotely possible that compromised ads on another site on the shared server are impacting all sites on the server.

And Barry- I’ll take your challenge. I’m 100% positive this is happening on server side- not the end users. And fwiw- i recreated it on a brand new, never used Iphone 6, with waccobb being the ONLY website it had ever visited.

20. Gratitude expressed by:

21. TopTop #20
    marv3lls
    0xc0de

Quote Posted in reply to the post by socoexpat: View Post
    We run all our own hosting... I'm testing it on my iPhone XR right now on LTE... it loaded the mobile site fine. Links work fine... Hmmmm... IDK.

22. TopTop #21
    Howard

It’s been happening to me for about a month now. I click on a video link in the daily digest which takes me to Safari but it redirects me to a unafeed site asking me if I wanted to meet some lonely women.

For instance, I clicked on one of the SNL links in today’s digest and it sent me to: https://unafeed.com/click.php?key=0g...er-4UFfD0HIhv4

I delete the tab, go back to the digest and click again on the link. Works fine.

IPad Air 5, software version 12.4.8, home network, sonic fiber

Howard

Quote Posted in reply to the post by marv3lls: View Post

23. Gratitude expressed by:

24. TopTop #22
    marv3lls
    0xc0de

What skin do you use? Is it every time? How long does it take? We're trying to chase it down today!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Howard: View Post

25. TopTop #23
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by marv3lls: View Post
    What skin did you use?
    On mobile devices we support the standard desktop interface skin:

Or the mobile interface skin:

Which let me know which you are using when the problem happens.

26. TopTop #24
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Howard: View Post
    IPad Air 5, software version 12.4.8, home network, sonic fiber
    you left off the malware version numbers... :)

27. TopTop #25
    socoexpat

There’s a new redirect happening... didn’t record the urls (another affiliate forwarding to a truncated url) for “downloading free movies”.

I’m retired from the game... but maybe next weekend I can get access to sandboxed/emulated computers. If so I’ll contact for how to send the files.

28. Gratitude expressed by:

29. TopTop #26
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

I've gotten enough reports now (thanks!) that it seems the problem may be on our site, but it could also be a widely distributed malware issue in the wild, since we've only gotten limited reports of it.

My programmer has seen this once but we can not reproduce it.

We need to be able to reproduce it to fix it. If you can reproduce the issue reliably please let me know asap by posting to this thread. We'll try to access your device remotely and see if we can see what is going on.

Thanks for your patience and assistance!

Barry

30. TopTop #27
    Finell
    Supporting Member

I did not get redirected. I received an email with a copy of Barry's message in this thread posted today at 5.35 p.m. My email client is Outlook for Microsoft 365 (16.0.13231.20372) 64-bit under Windows 10 v. 2004 on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I clicked the Website/Reply button which linked to Barry's message at https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showthread.php?134646-Redirection&p=238580#post238580.

I
    put this URL in the address bar of
    Microsoft Edge and Firefox. Both browsers took me to Barry's message with no problem.

If the individuals who suffered the redirect could provide a more detailed description of exactly how the redirect occurred, it might be possible to correct it. See if you can reproduce the error while you write down each step.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post

31. Gratitude expressed by:

32. TopTop #28
    Howard

Happened again after a month or so of relief. It only happens when I try to click on a video link from the daily digest email. The “Give Your Concession Speech” link posted by Barry on November 13 redirected me to the link below. I delete the redirected tab and go back to the email containing the daily digest. I click again and it works fine.

https://unafeed.com/click.php?key=0gel2225dfwbs6g3wymy&zone=not_found#video-player-cQ9__8UJSc4

33. Gratitude expressed by: