Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    hellohello

thank you soco supervisors for spending 100s of millions $ on police while we burn up

thank you soco supervisors for spending 100s of millions $ on police while we burn up
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    socoexpat

Re: thank you soco supervisors for spending 100s of millions $ on police while we burn up

Your post, as pretty much all your others- both makes no sense and is not based on anything resembling facts.

Let's start with the Sheriffs budget. Like all county budgets- it is set for a fiscal year- the BOS doesen't have control over daily, monthly, or quarterly spending by government agencies.
    The total budget for the Sheriffs office was roughly $180 million. A little under a half million a day. While these are huge numbers, one needs to keep in mind this covers both the "law enforcement" aspect - sheriffs, their vehicles, search and rescue, the water rescue division and it's boats, the Henry 1 helicopter, offices, equipment and uniforms, the list goes on. I should also mention the Sheriffs office is also responsible for law enforcement in both Windsor and Sonoma- and I am not sure how of if these towns reimburse the county or if they simply rely on the county rather than funding their own police force.

Then there's the Detentions side. 2 facilities that house prisoners- which of course includes their clothing, feeding, and medical care as well as drug treatment programs, mental health treatment, and GED program. I believe it also covers transport of prisoners.

The Sheriffs office also an Administrative division, which deals with the bureaucracy of running the other divisions, and I believe also deals with aspects such as pensions, insurance, healthcare, etc.

Then there is the communications division, responsible for the radio and telecom networks that operate everything from the emergency lines and dispatchers to the infrastructure to keep Sheriffs and other emergency personnel connected in the field.

A few other things worth noting here. One- the county budget was $1.94 BILLION. Two- slightly less then half of the Sheriffs budget comes from the general fund, with slightly more then half coming from what the Sheriffs office brings in. Third - the Sheriffs office has been asked to cut something like 13% of it's budget - far and away the largest of any agency as the county tries to make up a 2.4% budget gap.

As to "spending during the fires" - both corrections and administrative go on as normal. The Sheriffs office - both the law enforcement side and the telecommunications side- have been crucial in warning people of the need to evacuate, trying to make evacuations as orderly as possible, and trying to prevent looting in evacuated areas- among other tasks. Worth noting that Henry 1 - one of the proposed budget cuts, was also responsible for rescuing 2 firefighters trapped by the fires on the coast.

If you want to have an honest and logical discussion about police funding, that's a whole other discussion, and one worth having. But don't couch it in BS and nonsense. And realize that much of the discussion will not mean much in the way of savings- it means putting many of the jobs that ultimately have more to do with social services and public welfare onto other agencies that are better suited to handle them, and letting the police do the jobs they are trained for.

3. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

4. TopTop #3
    OldGranddad

Re: thank you soco supervisors for spending 100s of millions $ on police while we burn up

Another unthinking post. HelloHello, the only thing I have to say to you is, Goodbye Goodbye.

Old Granddad

Quote Posted in reply to the post by socoexpat: View Post

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    tommy

Barry,
    Why do you continue to post the repeated one liner inflammatory posts from "Hellohello"?

The posts are always provocative, never contain any facts, & seem designed to reactivate readers. They never respond to comments, and don't engage in discussion, as far as I know.

I think they may be a speechwriter for our President... as they are designed to provoke people, & sometimes use all caps, like our dear one.

7. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Imagery

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    I believe he's deciding whether or not this person is developmentally challenged, or an anarchist.
    Or both. I'm of the opinion that he's a troll, and nothing that he's chosen to post has changed that opinion. Even others that have posted vitriolic hate speech have calmed down and are showing empathy.
    We've already had this discussion - in multiple threads. He's too late to join the party.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    Gene

This person HelloHello has all the attributes of a bot. The Russians alone have 150,000 A.I. bots working 24/7 to cause anger between Americans. It seems obvious to me. Posting on bulletin boards, newspapers, social media likes and dis-likes, re-tweets and such are all being used to disrupt our communities. The aim here is destroy Wacco as a tool for our neighbors to come together and create positive change.
    My solution, and please chime in with your own solutions, is to require proof of residency in Sonoma, Marin or Mendocino Counties in order to post on Wacco. All others could access but not post. Perhaps Barry could comment on what it would take to protect us in this way or suggest alternate solutions. By the way attacks on Barry are unforgivable. There would be no Wacco without his tireless energy and dedication. So HelloHello may be a bot or not. If they are not we are certainly open to their opinion even if it is based on fake facts and bot BS.

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #7
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Tommy:
    Barry,
    Why do you continue to post the repeated one liner inflammatory posts from "Hellohello"?

The posts are always provocative, never contain any facts, & seem designed to reactivate readers. They never respond to comments, and don't engage in discussion, as far as I know....
    At first I let "them" (the user profile is marked as an "organization") post because I thought it might be useful to stimulate discussion, but seeing how's its played out I have now banned them.

FYI, they appear to be a real person and not a bot, as far as I can tell, with a San Francisco zip code.

We now resume with our regularly scheduled programming...

13. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

14. TopTop #8
    rossmen

The sherrif budget is 184 mil. Last year it was 178. The projected need to continue existing services was 198. So the cut, if you want to call it that, 16 mil. Of course most of the 20 mil increase to keep it rolling is due to increasing retirement contribution requirements. First thing essick needs to cut is the pr flack he hired.

15. TopTop #9
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    ·First thing essick needs to cut is the pr flack he hired.
    from Essick's point of view, that guy's paying off bigtime. Look at the reaction he got from the helicopter episode: the cool video, and the threat that it'll be cut if he's not given his full funding. That's pretty effective PR - check the PD's letter sections recently.

16. TopTop #10
    Fortunecookie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    from Essick's point of view, that guy's paying off bigtime. Look at the reaction he got from the helicopter episode: the cool video, and the threat that it'll be cut if he's not given his full funding. That's pretty effective PR - check the PD's letter sections recently.
    I'd like to know how 2 seasoned firefighters from marin got put out there into that situation where they needed to be airlifted out ?? Video looks staged to me..

17. TopTop #11
    socoexpat

^^^^ Many years ago, before our recent spate of firestorms, one of my best friends was one of the top Forest Service "Hot Shot" fire crew people. He survived once only because of the personal protective shelters they have. And he told me many, many other stories.

Fire, as much as these professionals know them, can do very, very weird things. And anyone who has spent time at the coast can attest the weather, and the winds, can change on a dime.

Let's not start conspiracy theories here, and understand that even professionals can be overwhelmed by Mother Nature.

18. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

19. TopTop #12
    rossmen

Nice change of subject. I thought we were commenting about the sherrif budget. Who are u?, your new, and I suspect ur a former county employee concerned about ur retirement income. Correct me if I'm wrong.

20. TopTop #13
    socoexpat

@Rossmen - you stand corrected then. I have never worked for any government agency nor any group that receives any funds from any form of government agency- whether local, state, or federal.

I think I did a fairly thorough job of addressing the budget issues a few posts up- and was simply responding to the "Conspiracy theories" type post about the firefighters rescue.

As to being "new here"... I was a member for a long time, years ago when the site was more vibrant and diverse. I left Sonoma County some years ago because I was sick of what was happening there on so many levels. Work kept me in California for a bit- then Covid runes my plans to finally get out of this state. I came back mainly because of the fires... and well, with Covid many of us have few social outlets.