Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Woody

Action Alert: Hwy 12 / Llano Rd. Gas Station proposal is back!

Hi All,

I hope you all doing well amid our trials and turmoil.

With all of the pressing needs for our community, and community security, one thing we don't need is another gas station perpetuating the climate crisis. Yet here we are with a virtual public hearing scheduled for July 2 and a deadline for comments of June 26 for a gas station, minimart, carwash, and RV storage yard at at Llano Rd. along Hwy 12.

Please see the attached notice from the county and visit our new website con-gas.org and click on the ACTION ALERT on the home page for the details. We are doing our best to keep a complicated matter simple and easy for those who want to engage.

Thank you,
    Stay safe & healthy,
    -Woody
    www.con-gas.org
    Attached Files
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    OldGranddad

Re: Action Alert: Hwy 12 / Llano Rd. Gas Station proposal is back!

Gas stations do not perpetuate the climate crisis, people do. While I applaud your willingness to take action, let me suggest other activities that might reduce pollution and also help in other areas. The most important, of course in my opinion, is education. Teaching America's children to think and solve problems would make our lives better in many ways. Our present system of education stinks. What about getting money out of politics? That would free our legislators to think about what's good for the country rather than their donors. How about limiting the number of children people could have with heavy financial penalties and forced sterilization for those who don't obey the laws?

Another point to consider is that there are so many problems that even if we would all take up arms against them we would make no progress. Instead of fighting the myriad of small battles, can you imagine what might happen if we all agreed to tackle a few big ones and focused our energy to accomplish meaningful change? The power structure is happy to have us fighting the small battles because it keeps us busy and lets them do whatever they want. It's just another Roman Circus all over again. If a major portion of the population would march in the same direction, the power elite would shit blue bricks.

Think about it.

Old Granddad
    Last edited by Barry; 06-08-2020 at 11:52 AM.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Woody

Thank you for the good suggestions Old Granddad,

Although I am not a proponent of forced sterilization and and do not plan to take up arms (I imagine you meant that figuratively), I can't agree more about how important good, science- and social justice-based education is. And I also agree about getting money out of politics. And addressing the big picture. Good stuff.

This effort to stop the construction of new gas stations is our small part in addressing the global crisis in the spirit of "think globally, act locally," in that we must stop the expansion of fossil energy infrastructure now, right now, if we are to ever hope to bring about the changes we need to see in the world. This is about the question: what investments should we, the Sonoma County public and private community, be making right now for our future? We at CONGAS assert that new gas stations in 2020 are a clear step in the wrong direction, and that is why we choose to take action on the matter.

I hope you will join us on June 18, and in urging our County decision-makers to reject this proposal.

Best Regards,
    Woody Hastings
    Co-coordinator, Coalition Opposing New Gas Stations

Quote Posted in reply to the post by OldGranddad: View Post
    Gas stations do not perpetuate the climate crisis, people do. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-08-2020 at 11:40 AM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    tommy

I applaud you Woody, for taking on these terrible interests.

That corner of Llano & 12 is beautiful the way it is. It's places like that, that make this a beautiful place to live. Thank you for your good work in preserving rural Sonoma County.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Woody: View Post
    ...one thing we don't need is another gas station perpetuating the climate crisis. ...
    www.con-gas.org
    Last edited by Barry; 06-09-2020 at 11:17 AM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: