Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    John Eder
    Former Seb City Council Member

Sonoma County Sheriff defies local health order

If you are outraged by the sheriff’s trumpian position of selectively enforcing our laws, then I suggest that you follow Sheriffs deputies when possible and film all of their encounters with citizens- you know, the people who pay them in return for protection- even from disease. Let them know that they are being watched in their efforts on behalf of their clown of a boss. Perhaps Sheriff Assick has given all of his deputies an honorary medical degree... The sheriff needs to go- now, through a recall, or later, in the next election. Can you imagine if this ahole had been in charge during the fires?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Sonoma County Sheriff defies local health order

Quote Posted in reply to the post by John Eder: View Post
    If you are outraged by the sheriff’s trumpian position of selectively enforcing our laws,...
    Apparently he's had a change of heart. More info here:

Sonoma County sheriff reverses course, will enforce local coronavirus public health order, board chairwoman says

4. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

For more background about this, see the Sheriff's original letter about refusing to the stay-at-home order and Supervisor Lynda Hopkins response here:

County sheriff says his department will no longer enforce county health orders

5. TopTop #4
    John Eder

Yes, it appears that the coward has recanted his rogue position. Who does he think he is? I believe that, while we cautiously accepted his ascension to the position of Sonoma County Sheriff, and he put out a good line of dung about changes in policing, he has divulged his true colors in this act. His recall should seriously be considered, even after his capitulation. Do we really want this trump wannabe directing a law enforcement agency in our county? He works for the citizens of Sonoma County- we pay his salary (and bloated retirement pension forever...). He has apparently forgotten who his boss is.

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

7. TopTop #5
    Goat Rock Ukulele

Sheriff has to be a very high stress job especially during a pandemic. It sounds like it would be a good idea if the Sheriff took some time off and let second in command take over for a while.

8. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

9. TopTop #6
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Since I posted the link above, the Sheriff has had yet another change of heart, and now says "“I’m not following this f--king health order, and my original statement that we’re done on June 1 stands until Dr. Mase is able to provide me with enough information that we’re on the right path”.

The PD story above has been updated to reflect this. I highly recommend reading the article.

My : Regardless, of what the right policy is, the sheriff is way outside his lane, IMO. I'm also uncomfortably with the public health officer being able to dictate public policy, since there are inevitable trade offs to be made. Those are political decisions, not medical decisions. In this case Mase's orders have been affirmed by our elected board of Supervisors, so, at least from a process point of view, I'm happy and I think the order should be followed.

Also, I think the Supervisors and Sheriff should come to understanding about what enforcement looks like, and that should be published. And if the Sheriff can't agree, he should be replaced.

10. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

11. TopTop #7
    gypsey

I am in agreement that Essick is a jerk with delusions of grandeur, but lets be sure while we are keeping watch on deputies actions, to show them respect and remember that their "leader's" decisions do not necessarily reflect their own. If so, imagine how it feels to be in their shoes.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by John Eder: View Post
    If you are outraged by the sheriff’s trumpian position of selectively enforcing our laws, then I suggest that you follow Sheriffs deputies when possible and film all of their encounters with citizens- ...
    Last edited by Barry; 05-31-2020 at 09:10 AM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

13. TopTop #8
    rossmen

Essick is who the deputies wanted, and once he got gordianos endorsement his election was a cake walk. It was a frietas bait and switch. This is a public approved endorsement of continuing police culture supporting existing power. Essick knows what he's doing and who he's talking too. Sure he's stressed, who isn't? The rich, through law, control the world. What are window dressing politicians supposed to do? Defund the police? Ain't gonna happen.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-31-2020 at 09:48 AM.

14. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

15. TopTop #9
    Barrie
    Supporting member

If there are any efforts to recall Essick I would like to help. He made an enemy out of me by the violent evacuation order last fall, a 2AM extremely loud siren and amplified voice from a sheriff's vehicle driving through our neighborhood which was in NO danger of fire. Many elderly people live in this neighborhood, it is amazing there were no heart attacks, etc. When we got to the freeway it was a barely moving traffic jam, when we got to Petaluma there was no shelter space available. My elderly tenant and a friend with dementia had no money to rent a motel room & I couldn't afford to cover us all. I later learned that a neighbor had to drive all the way to South San Francisco to find a room that would take her small dogs. There was no shelter space for animals.

He seems very hot headed and reactive, not what we need in a public safety crisis.

Barrie Mason

16. TopTop #10
    Valley Oak

Essick needs to go. He is, by definition, a politician because he was elected to public office----SoCo Sheriff. In a very real sense, Essick is saying, among other things, "My boss is my electorate, not the SoCo's Board of Supervisors. I'm rebelling against orders because I have strong, conservative political ambitions."

If and when Essick runs for another public office in the future (be it Board of Sups, SR city hall, State Senate, State Assembly, House of Representatives, etc.), he will say that he demonstrated undeniable conservative values in a notoriously lib county, which is Sonoma. He will run on his conservative rebellion and hope to win future re-election as Sheriff or another public post.

Removing Essick from his position as top cop in the county is essential. And if he makes it to the next elections for Sheriff, we have to make sure he is voted out of office because of his poor performance during the pandemic. He will also tout his administration as Sheriff with anything else of significance that has happened, whether it is fires, blackouts, and so on.

Remove Essick, vote Essick out. Cut short his political ambitions and his reckless and selfish work as our county's sheriff. In some ways, Essick is the Sonoman Trump (a title he would probably be proud of, unfortunately). That might go down well with some voters here in Sonoma County, but not the majority.

Get out and vote in *all* elections!

17. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

18. TopTop #11
    John Eder

Here is the text of an email I sent today to the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors, County Administrator and County District Attorney, as well as local media:

Dear Chairperson Gorin,

As a former elected official, I, like you, am appalled by the recent actions of Sheriff Mark Essick. Without getting into all of the peripheral issues that his actions evoke, I want to deliver a simple message. Sheriff Essick is currently subordinate to the County Health Officer, as codified in law. He is BREAKING that law. You have lost the participation and support of a critical component in the County's effort to control Covid-19 and minimize infections and hospitalizations from it. We are far from being able to reduce our vigilance, as Sheriff Essick would suggest by his actions. I spoke to a local Public Health official yesterday who indicated that only about 19% of Sonoma County's ICU beds were available at present. Those that are occupied are, in many cases, done so by younger patients.

The Sheriff's position is madness. I realize that he is an elected official, like yourselves, and therefore is unable to be removed from his position by the Board. I would strongly suggest that the Board of Supervisors seek an immediate INJUNCTION prohibiting the Sheriff from pursuing his reckless agenda. He is a "lone wolf" in this, as none of the cities or other law enforcement agencies within Sonoma County have shown any support for his actions. He is out on a plank by himself, and looks like a fool.

The people of Sonoma County have worked hard to control this disease- we deserve and expect professional behavior from our elected officials, not temper tantrums. I personally have been SIP from the beginning, as have many of my friends and acquaintances, at great sacrifice. Sheriff Essick, with his incomprehensible actions, is throwing away all of the hard work of your constituents.

STOP HIM NOW.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.

Best regards,

John Eder

If you are as pissed off as I am about our local "mini-trump" Sheriff, let the following people know in your loudest and most frequent voice:

Sonoma County Supervisors

District 1 – Susan Gorin : [email protected]
    District Director: [email protected]
    District 2 – David Rabbitt: [email protected]
    District 3 – Shirlee Zane: [email protected]
    District 4 – James Gore: [email protected]
    District 5 – Lynda Hopkins: [email protected]

Sonoma County Administrator- Sheryl Bratton: [email protected]
    Sonoma County District Attorney- Jill Ravitch: [email protected]

It is up to us to stop the madness.

19. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

20. TopTop #12
    John Eder

Found online this evening, attributed to the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.:

"A man dies when he refuses to stand up for that which is right. A man dies when he refuses to stand up for justice. A man dies when he refuses to take a stand for that which is true."

Think about that. Stand up.

21. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

22. TopTop #13
    John Eder

I STILL DO NOT TRUST THE SHERIFF.

This just in-

Joint Statement with BOS Chair Susan Gorin and Sheriff Mark Essick

Dear Friends,

We truly value hearing your opinions during this challenging time and have appreciated the hundreds of emails and calls we've received.

The Board of Supervisors, the Public Health Officer, and Sheriff Essick have been working together to resolve the differences in communications and perspective. We are pleased to have agreed to come together and move forward collaboratively, and today released the attached statement.

We will have a more transparent and open process going forward, and we are glad that the Sheriff has committed to enforcing health orders.

Linked here is a new data chart available to track our re-opening progress. Below is the full text of the joint statement.

If you have additional comments, or if your specific question has not been answered, please reply via email. We are working to balance fast response to all of you while also addressing all concerns.

Joint Statement from Susan Gorin, Chair of the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors, and Mark Essick, Sonoma County Sheriff/Coroner

excerpt:

...Under such a transparent and open process, Sheriff Essick is committed to enforcing health orders.

The existing orders issued by the Health Officer to delay this phase of re-opening until Monday, June 8 remain in effect. As Sheriff Essick recently announced, the Sheriff’s Office will – as it has since the inception of the order – continue to use its discretion to emphasize education over punitive action as we create a path forward together in an ever-changing environment.

More info on the Press Democrat here
    Last edited by Barry; 06-02-2020 at 02:06 PM.

23. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

24. TopTop #14
    luke32

I searched for something along the lines of, "Sheriff Essick is currently subordinate to the County Health Officer, as codified in law." but was unsuccessful. Could you point me to it? Thanks.

25. Gratitude expressed by:

26. TopTop #15
    John Eder

Quote Posted in reply to the post by luke32: View Post
    I searched for something along the lines of, "Sheriff Essick is currently subordinate to the County Health Officer, as codified in law." but was unsuccessful. Could you point me to it? Thanks.
    Here you go-

From the California Peace Officers' Association:

The Health & Safety Code authorizes health officers to take necessary steps to prevent the spread of infectious disease. (See Health & Safety Code § 120175). The Government Code makes provision for both county and municipal law enforcement to execute the orders of the local health officer for the purpose of preventing the spread of communicable disease. This authority for a Sheriff is found in Government Code section 26602. Similarly, Government Code section 41601 vests in municipal Police Chiefs the equivalent general law powers conferred upon Sheriffs.

Consistent with these provisions, Health & Safety Code section 101029 also grants to the Sheriff of a county the authority to enforce within the county all orders of the health officer for the same purpose of preventing the spread of contagious disease. The section also extends that authority to municipal peace officers within their jurisdiction.

Here is the ironic part:

Health & Safety Code section 131082. Neglect of or refusal to perform duty as misdemeanor: Every person charged with the performance of any duty under the laws of this state relating to the preservation of the public health, who willfully neglects or refuses to perform the same, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

Book em', Danno...

27. Gratitude expressed by 6 members: