Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Democrats are engaging in the propaganda war

This makes me uncomfortable... fighting fire with fire?

Technology once used to combat ISIS propaganda is enlisted by Democratic group to counter Trump’s coronavirus messaging

By
    Isaac Stanley-Becker
    May 1, 2020 at 4:53 p.m. PDT

A new Democratic-aligned political action committee advised by retired Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the former head of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, is planning to deploy technology originally developed to counter Islamic State propaganda in service of a domestic political goal — to combat online efforts to promote President Trump’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

The group, Defeat Disinfo, will use artificial intelligence and network analysis to map discussion of the president’s claims on social media. It will seek to intervene by identifying the most popular counter-narratives and boosting them through a network of more than 3.4 million influencers across the country — in some cases paying users with large followings to take sides against the president.

The initiative reflects fears within the Democratic Party that Trump’s unwavering digital army may help sustain him through the pandemic, as it has through past controversies, even as the economy craters, tens of thousands have died, and Trump suffers in the polls.

“It’s often said campaigns are a battle of ideas, but they’re really a battle of narratives,” said David Eichenbaum, a Democratic media consultant who is a senior adviser to the PAC. “Today those narratives spread quickly online.”

The initiative is run by Curtis Hougland, who received initial funding for the technology from DARPA, the Pentagon’s research arm, as part of an effort to combat extremism overseas. He insists Democrats are ill-prepared for the looming battle over information and attention, which is bound to play an outsize role in November.

Hougland cites as an example Trump’s suggestion last week that injecting bleach or other household disinfectants could be a treatment for the novel coronavirus — a moment that appeared unequivocally damaging to the president but was less clear-cut as it unfolded on social media. Although the episode was associated with a spike in Twitter engagement about Trump, especially in swing states such as Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, according to Hougland’s analysis, four of the top six tweets about Trump and disinfectant came from accounts partial to the president, boosting the notion that he had not really suggested the bogus cure.

Continues Here

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Hotspring 44

Re: Democrats are engaging in the propaganda war

That reminds me of another recent thread.
    https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showt...=&goto=newpost

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Hotspring 44

Oh, BTW, FWIW, that link, (to WP), is another one that sells your information like the video on "surveillance Capitalism" describes.
    How do I know, you may ask... ...Because how much is required for you to do to view their content. It is more than a simple add-blocker white-list. It is the whole 9 yards of it in your browser!
    No thanks, not me.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Last edited by Barry; 05-03-2020 at 03:04 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    podfish

'propaganda' isn't necessarily fake news. There needs to be a good fact-based publicity campaign to reach those who are more persuaded by that, but it doesn't work on everyone -- maybe not on the majority, and maybe not always on anyone. I don't have a problem with using marketing tools to convince people who don't respond otherwise. It's a potentially dangerous tool, but so are welders, and I want my bridges welded. Don't use it at a weenie roast, but in its place, it's the right tool for the job.

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #5
    laughingrobin

Speaking of propaganda....My husband and I wonder and are curious about what kind of propaganda/info are all these SIP protesters across the country getting exposed to: I am assuming it's mostly from News and on line? but from where? and who? Why are all these people acting so carelessly, what or who is influencing them, firing them up and and making them feel willing to be reckless and like getting back to business and returning to 'normal life' are more important than staying alive? do these people know about all the deaths, the sad situations in hospitals?

I mean I understand the sense of impatience and the desire to return to normal, the need for work, wages, food, etc. but the message seems to me from where I am SIP to sound like, "life be damned, money is what makes the world turn so damn the frail and weak, the sad and dying".

I feel so lucky to live in a community that for the most part seems to be thoughtful and concerned and willing to make some sacrifice to get through this as whole as possible.

Thanks to all for doing their best to stand together, to help and support, to be critical thinkers and compassionate hearts.Robin

Last edited by Barry; 05-05-2020 at 01:01 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: