Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Star Man

Engaging with Trumpsters

I am very grateful to Barry for having come up with a solution worthy of Solomon. He's placed Cyb...Anv and his ilk in their own thread. Thankfully. I would never look at Fox news and I will never visit "Engaging with Trumpsters." That is for the same reason I would never choose to enter a dope house. The Trumpsters have their own "echo chamber" now and they can "Own the libs" all they want. I appreciate that I will not be called names any more or be subjected to specious logic. Bravo, Barry.

Star Man
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    gypsey

Re: Engaging with Trumpsters

I too am grateful, but I see that non-trumpsters can be very biased too, and espouse various conspiracy theories, false cures, etc. some of this is still slipping by...But, appreciate the effort, Barry!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Star Man: View Post
    I am very grateful to Barry for having come up with a solution worthy of Solomon. He's placed Cyb...Anv and his ilk in their own thread. Thankfully. I would never look at Fox news and I will never visit "Engaging with Trumpsters." That is for the same reason I would never choose to enter a dope house. The Trumpsters have their own "echo chamber" now and they can "Own the libs" all they want. I appreciate that I will not be called names any more or be subjected to specious logic. Bravo, Barry.

Star Man

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #3
    occihoff

Take an objective look at your own post, Star Man! Is it only the Trumpsters that cling to their own "echo chamber?" And you are calling them names!

Star Man

6. TopTop #4
    Star Man

Quote Posted in reply to the post by occihoff: View Post
    Take an objective look at your own post, Star Man! Is it only the Trumpsters that cling to their own "echo chamber?" And you are calling them names!
    Oh Occihoff. I totally disagree that I am calling the Trumpsters names. I said that I disliked being called names. I had to block Cyb...Anv because he continued to call me names. You will have to give me a very specific citation if you expect me to understand what you mean when you say I am calling them names and that I have my own echo chamber. Please tell me exactly how I have called the Trumpsters names. Please explain how I have my own echo chamber. Provide examples. Thanks.

Star Man

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    occihoff

Your post:

Echo chamber: "I would never look at Fox News and I will never visit "Engaging with Trumpsters." Well, I might not do those specific things myself, but it's a perfect example of staying in our own echo chambers. It's just that, as you can see from my posts here, I am more open to engaging with non-liberals in order to try to establish human contact and understanding.

As for calling people names, Cyberanvil and his "ilk" is clearly derogatory, as is the analogizing of engaging with Trumpsters with entering a "dope house." Being "subjected to specious logic" is tantamount to saying that the right wingers are incapable of logical thinking.

You may not be blatantly calling the Trumpsters names like "jerk" or "idiot," but how extreme do you have to be to be considered name-calling?

By the way, what were the names Cyberanvil called you? I missed it.

Oh Occihoff. I totally disagree that I am calling the Trumpsters names. I said that I disliked being called names. I had to block Cyb...Anv because he continued to call me names. You will have to give me a very specific citation if you expect me to understand what you mean when you say I am calling them names and that I have my own echo chamber. Please tell me exactly how I have called the Trumpsters names. Please explain how I have my own echo chamber. Provide examples. Thanks.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-30-2020 at 11:26 AM.

9. TopTop #6
    Star Man

Your post:

Echo chamber: "I would never look at Fox News and I will never visit "Engaging with Trumpsters." Well, I might not do those specific things myself, but it's a perfect example of staying in our own echo chambers. It's just that, as you can see from my posts here, I am more open to engaging with non-liberals in order to try to establish human contact and understanding..
    I am a psychotherapist. I have observed that there is a class of human being that maintains contact with others by arguing. I trace this back to their childhood experiences of maintaining contact with parents by constantly questioning and complaining. Having read over period of time the comments of the people relegated to their own list I came to realize they were stuck in an old pattern that they were never going to change. No amount of debate or accumulations of facts were going to alter them. So, I do not engage. You said I was stuck in an echo chamber because I said I wouldn't willingly go into a dope house. People in dope houses are stuck in an old behavioral pattern. If I enter the dope house I am exposing myself. There is no human contact or understanding possible. If and when they have a moment of clarity and come to a 12-step meeting or a treatment program I will welcome them and establish human contact and give them understanding and will do all I can to help them change.

Star Man

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #7
    occihoff

Thanks for the free professional analysis, Star Man!

I am a psychotherapist. I have observed that there is a class of human being that maintains contact with others by arguing. I trace this back to their childhood experiences of maintaining contact with parents by constantly questioning and complaining. Having read over period of time the comments of the people relegated to their own list I came to realize they were stuck in an old pattern that they were never going to change. No amount of debate or accumulations of facts were going to alter them. So, I do not engage. You said I was stuck in an echo chamber because I said I wouldn't willingly go into a dope house. People in dope houses are stuck in an old behavioral pattern. If I enter the dope house I am exposing myself. There is no human contact or understanding possible. If and when they have a moment of clarity and come to a 12-step meeting or a treatment program I will welcome them and establish human contact and give them understanding and will do all I can to help them change.

Star Man

12. TopTop #8
    Star Man

Thanks for the free professional analysis, Star Man!
    My Briggs-Myers-Jung type is ENFJ meaning "The Teacher" I am always attempting to teach. I offered an analysis of the psychodynamics of the conflict occurring on the discussion thread. I was teaching. In these times it has gotten increasingly difficult to know if you are being snarky with your rejoinder or genuinely appreciative. I hope it's the later. I am hoping this brouhaha blows itself out soon.

Star Man

13. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

14. TopTop #9
    occihoff

No, Star Man, I was being snarky.

My Briggs-Myers-Jung type is ENFJ meaning "The Teacher" I am always attempting to teach. I offered an analysis of the psychodynamics of the conflict occurring on the discussion thread. I was teaching. In these times it has gotten increasingly difficult to know if you are being snarky with your rejoinder or genuinely appreciative. I hope it's the later. I am hoping this brouhaha blows itself out soon.

Star Man

15. TopTop #10
    Star Man

So, how's that working out for you, Occihoff? Does snark bring you closer to others or does it distance you from them?

Star Man

16. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

17. TopTop #11
    wisewomn

It's sad to see you adopting cyber-ray's MO, Occi. Seriously.

18. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

19. TopTop #12
    occihoff

I sincerely apologize for my snarky indulgence. Sometimes I just can't resist.

So let me speak frankly. Star Man, you come across to me as a person who takes the defensive stance of the "professional expert" who analyzes away criticism, as you did with me in the post I regrettably responded to so sarcastically. If I criticized you it surely must be my problem because of hangups lingering from my treatment as a child. I certainly agree that we all have such hangups, but you don't seem inclined to look into yourself to see if you too harbor hangups that enter into your relationships. Could there be a grain of truth there?

In the past I was struck by your admirably frank post that explained why you were no longer interested in close relationships with women, because you could never find any who were up to your level of self awareness and ability to have healthy relationships. My reaction--for better or worse--was, boy, this guy needs to get a little humility and deal with his own emotional hangups!

So that's where I was coming from, Star Man. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

So, how's that working out for you, Occihoff? Does snark bring you closer to others or does it distance you from them?

Star Man

20. Gratitude expressed by:

21. TopTop #13
    Star Man

So let me speak frankly. Star Man, you come across to me as a person who takes the defensive stance of the "professional expert" who analyzes away criticism, as you did with me in the post I regrettably responded to so sarcastically. If I criticized you it surely must be my problem because of hangups lingering from my treatment as a child. My reaction--for better or worse--was, boy, this guy needs to get a little humility and deal with his own emotional hangups!

I want to be quite clear publicly inasmuch as you are posting for all to see. I am just fine with my level of humility. I totally hear you saying that I come across to you as defensive. I prefer to say that I am protective. I protect myself from interactions and relationships that I believe are negative or unproductive. I am choosing not to engage with you any further because I am protecting myself. I do not have to analyze you to protect myself. I hear that you believe I need to deal with my own emotional hangups. That is your perception. I have a psychotherapist who is very good to help me. I would not turn to a lay person for help. I work hard to deal with my own emotional challenges--I will not use your word "hangups." I will not be baited into taking your inventory. I am just fine with myself. So, I wish you well. I really am done.

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #14
    sealwatcher
    Supporting member

My friendship with Star Man, based on shared understanding and sympathy, suggests that when you're wrong, occihoff, you're wrong.

So let me speak frankly. Star Man,...

So that's where I was coming from, Star Man. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

24. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: