Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #91
    Goat Rock Ukulele

Re: Sonoma County Covid-19 The Numbers

May 11

21 New Cases last night. Says May 12 but these numbers are from last night.

More testing = more cases detected. Sonoma County has added more metrics to their Covid-19 information page. https://socoemergency.org/emergency/...navirus-cases/
    Hispanics are being hit hardest. Only 18% of our cases are from community transmission. That says to me if you are doing the right things your chances of being infected are fairly low.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49398[/ATTACH]
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #92
    Goat Rock Ukulele

May 13

4 New Cases last night.

Seems like the pressure to reopen is becoming too great to resist. Hopefully we don't get in trouble.
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/1...s-seek-broader

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49406[/ATTACH]

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #93
    Finell
    Supporting Member

Yesterday was a good day, after a few earlier not-so-good days. Yes, I know, I am the one who said that the daily fluctuations are meaningless. My rational mind still knows that. But I am also human. I am hoping for more good days and, eventually, a long-term solution. Meanwhile, the fact that recoveries so substantially exceed active case and deaths, and that the ratio of recoveries to active cases is steadily increasing, are positive indicators for the future course of this disease in our county.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-15-2020 at 10:07 AM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #94
    Goat Rock Ukulele

May 16

9 New Cases Tonight

I missed posting on the 15th. There were 13 cases that day. For me the days seen to all run together at this point. Latinos are bearing the brunt of this virus in Sonoma County. In the last week infections of Latinos has gone from a little over 48%% to tonight 61% of all cases. Hispanics are 25% of the population in Sonoma County. I have read that Latinos are taking this more seriously than any other ethnic groups but I have also been told by friends that fewer precautions have been observed in the Roseland area. I don't know if the county is able to contact trace and put infected in hotel rooms at this point. They will not be able to bring this under control if they are not able to do that. West County diagnosed cases has been steady at 20 for many days.

Stay Strong, Stay Safe, Stay in the West County

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49436[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by Barry; 05-17-2020 at 11:46 AM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #95
    rossmen

West county is a temporary haven for old white people. Of course Latinx are getting it worse, still have to work.
    Look around the world. The data comes in everyday. Containment, not happening. Mitigation, defined by slowing the spread so severely infected will die under medical care, yeah, around here. Contract tracing is now an excuse for lifting restrictions. Our medical system gave it up in early march. So restrictions are now being lifted, in soco numbers are steady with more testing, but in us and cali daily cases and death are going up, except in ny. Get the picture?
    Last edited by Barry; 05-18-2020 at 12:03 PM.

10. TopTop #96
    Goat Rock Ukulele

May 17

14 New Cases reported last night. We seem to be seeing a small but rise in new cases. It could be increased testing. West County unchanged at 20 cases.

The experimental vaccine made by Moderna generates immune response. https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/18/...mune-response/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49441[/ATTACH]

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #97
    Goat Rock Ukulele

May 17

4 New Cases last night. Only 10 tests reported.

Mecrury News: No deaths in the SF Bay Area for 2 consecutive days. A first since March

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49445[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by Barry; 05-20-2020 at 12:44 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #98
    Goat Rock Ukulele

May 19

20 New cases last night.

Active cases rising in Sonoma County. No new cases in West County

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49453[/ATTACH]

15. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

16. TopTop #99
    Goat Rock Ukulele

May 20th

22 reported new cases in Sonoma County.

Many Bay Area Counties case numbers are in decline Unfortunately Sonoma, Marin and Alameda are going in the wrong direction. We are starting from a fairly low number so most of our rise might be explained by increased testing. Still no new cases reported in West County. The SF Chronicle has very good graphs and stats on Bay Area cases https://projects.sfchronicle.com/2020/coronavirus-map/

California had it's worst day with 132 dead. As business begin reopening and the weather is great don't let your guard down. The risk of becoming infected will only rise for a while.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49456[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by Barry; 05-21-2020 at 12:52 PM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

18. TopTop #100
    Goat Rock Ukulele

May 22

2 New Cases Reported in Sonoma County Tonight.

They have changed their format so the charts look different. We are seeing a very steady increase in cases.
    1 of the 23 reported tonight was a West County resident.
    66% of cases are in the Hispanic Community. This percentage has been increasing. Most of those infected have no underlying conditions. 8% have been hospitalized.
    See all the County's charts here https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...?views=view_26

Last edited by Barry; 05-23-2020 at 10:36 AM.

19. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

20. TopTop #101

West County. Do we know where in West County? I would like to know.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Goat Rock Ukulele: View Post
    ...1 of the 23 reported tonight was a West County resident....
    Last edited by Barry; 05-24-2020 at 02:39 PM.

21. TopTop #102
    Goat Rock Ukulele

No, at this point they don't report by town or address.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by titanblue: View Post
    West County. Do we know where in West County? I would like to know.

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #103
    Goat Rock Ukulele

May 23

15 New Cases reported in Sonoma County

5 of those cases were in West County residents. Even though we are opening up (what ever that means) Covid 19 is not letting up . I expect we will see a rise in cases here in Sonoma County and around the country. We will be doing good if the County can contact trace, test and isolate.

CDC says fairly low rate of transmission from surfaces. Doesn't mean to stop washing your hands and start touching your face. Keep doing that. It does mean that inhalation of the virus is by far the way most people become infected. We need cooperation from everyone to wear masks in public. It has not been helpful that the president seems to be igniting a New Anti Mask League among his followers. Same stupid arguments were made by the 1918 Anti Mask League.

24. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

25. TopTop #104
    seedavelee

I was at Sebastopol's farmers market yesterday and although most people were wearing masks and keeping the distancing there were small groups that weren't. I was part of one of the groups that weren't (although I was) and became aware of mostly women in this group that decided not to, IE., proactive in coming into another's space without a mask, hugging, etc.
    I couldn't believe it and my story was, they must be deprived of touch/ connection and well...off with these precautions!

26. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

27. TopTop #105
    sealwatcher
    Supporting member

First, want to express gratitude to Goat Rock Ukelele for keeping us up to date daily with posts on our county's now growing number of cases.

I too was at the farm market yesterday and while I didn't see what seedavelee saw, now seems a good time to remind that you can order and pick up from the farm market, avoiding people acting thoughtlessly.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by seedavelee: View Post
    I was at Sebastopol's farmers market yesterday and ...

28. Gratitude expressed by:

29. TopTop #106
    Goat Rock Ukulele

It sounds more like they are deprived of brains. Studies show that mask wearing can cut infection rates by up to 75% with Covid-19. If a drug was discovered that could do that the stock value of that company would surge 600%. It would be world news for a month.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by seedavelee: View Post
    I was at Sebastopol's farmers market yesterday ... they must be deprived of touch/ connection and well...off with these precautions!

30. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

31. TopTop #107
    Jon Jackson

The impression I'm getting, all over the country, is that people have basically decided to switch from Shelter-In-Place to the Herd Immunity model, consequences be damned. It's exactly what happened in 1918, including the refusal to wear masks because it's an infringement on "freedom." I feel sad for what's about to happen. As a physician, I've worked hard all this time to find accurate information and make practical recommendations. I feel now like all I can do is sit back and watch Chapter Two, with a deep sigh and a welcome glass of wine.

32. TopTop #108
    Goat Rock Ukulele

May 24

18 New Cases reported in Sonoma County

70% of the people who have been infected in Sonoma County have no preexisting conditions.

It is possible to get the R naught under 1 with mask wearing in public and physical distancing alone. The Asian countries have all been able to do this. If we are unable because of our culture perhaps we should change that part of our culture at least during pandemics. The Governor of North Dakota was moved to tears while defending people who were being ridiculed and pushed around for WEARING a mask. Mask wearing has somehow become hugely political. That is so sad because it will cost many US citizens their lives.

33. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

34. TopTop #109
    wildinspired
    Supporting Member

I finally got up my courage and went for a walk with a friend the other day. I've been strictly sheltered in place since end of February. I wore my mask and my friend did too, until we were well on our way. I was then asked if it would be ok for the mask to be removed and I said yes...I believe I responded out of fear of being judged, of being perceived as too careful, or paranoid.

I regret that I wasn't able to maintain my "no" in that moment. I feel angry at myself for this! I am clear about the value of masks. I appreciate this post as very supportive to my sensibilities. I'm resetting my inner and outer boundaries around asking for what I feel is important and caring behavior for my situation, as an older woman with underlying health conditions. I feel this mask wearing to be an action that is about caring for ourselves and for others, for caring about the health of our communities. I see it as a responsibility of care.

35. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

36. TopTop #110
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildinspired: View Post
    I finally got up my courage and went for a walk with a friend the other day...
    My understanding is that if you are outside and keeping a 6 foot distance, there if very little risk (but above zero) of being with others not wearing a mask. I'll venture to say that your risk at that point of experiencing a health issue from that is comparable from having a "health issue" due to driving to your hike.

37. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

38. TopTop #111
    wildinspired
    Supporting Member

Thanks for your response Barry. I understand what you are saying here. But, there is still so little known about this virus, and the safety precaution suggestions are changing all the time. So I don't entirely trust what we are being told...plus I understand that the aerosol from our breath, even when talking, can travel way farther than 6 feet. I see also that the cases are rising in Sonoma County. Plus, I am in a high risk group! Call me overreacting...but I need, and we all do, to take care of ourselves and each other as we see fit.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    My understanding is that if you are outside and keeping a 6 foot distance, there if very little risk (but above zero) ...

39. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

40. TopTop #112
    gypsey

Everyone learns in different ways and for a large percentage, only direct results that affect them personally will be a "teachable moment." This is what happened in 1918 and thus the lethal second wave.

too was at the farm market yesterday and while I didn't see what seedavelee saw, now seems a good time to remind that you can order and pick up from the farm market, avoiding people acting thoughtlessly.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-26-2020 at 01:54 PM.

41. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

42. TopTop #113
    wildinspired
    Supporting Member

I'd much appreciate to know how to order ahead and pick up at the market?
    Thanks
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    ... now seems a good time to remind that you can order and pick up from the farm market...
    Last edited by Barry; 05-26-2020 at 10:43 AM.

43. TopTop #114
    sealwatcher
    Supporting member

I'll be contacting the farm market this week to find out how to do this. On Sunday I saw a number of packages ready to be delivered curbside. I'll go to the website for the Sebastopol farm market and find out how to do this. I suggest you do the same. Avoid the crowding and keep our local farmers going!
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildinspired: View Post
    I'd much appreciate to know how to order ahead and pick up at the market?
    Last edited by Barry; 05-26-2020 at 10:44 AM.

44. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

45. TopTop #115
    Goat Rock Ukulele

May 26

9 New Cases Tonight, I took a day off yesterday there were 15 cases on the 25th. The virus never sleeps.
    After that burst of 5 cases in West County there were none on the 25th or tonight.

The percentage of Hispanics who have contracted the virus in our county is now up to 70% of all cases. The hispanic population of the county tends to be much younger and have few added risk factors so outcomes are generally better with fewer hospitalizations.

Open it all up........not so fast says our health officer Dr Mase. Our health officials are seeing some things they don't like. https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/1...h-officer-puts
    Last edited by Barry; 05-27-2020 at 02:25 PM.

46. Gratitude expressed by:

47. TopTop #116
    Goat Rock Ukulele

May 27

6 New cases tonight. None were in West County.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-28-2020 at 09:39 AM.

48. TopTop #117
    Finell
    Supporting Member

Thank you for continuing to report the latest Sonoma County COVID-19 statistics.

Yesterday's numbers are crazy. The county reports that, in the last 24 hours, the number of recovered cases declined by 200. How is that possible? What does that even mean?

The cumulative total of COVID-19 cases should be the sum of active cases (304), recovered cases (22), and deaths (4). That sum is 330. But Sonoma County reports the total cases as 530. If you disregard the inexplicable, impossible reduction of recovered cases by 200, that brings the recovered cases to 222. And voila! 304 active cases, plus 222 recovered cases, plus 4 deaths, equals the reported total of 530 cases.

What is going on here??
    Last edited by Barry; 05-28-2020 at 09:40 AM.

49. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

50. TopTop #118
    seedavelee

I've been suspicious of the numbers being "fudged" on a national level with the country reopening and well, here is some proof from Politico.

51. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

52. TopTop #119
    Goat Rock Ukulele

As you can see from the chart. They must have made an error on the number of recovered. Most likely a keyboard error. These folks are working long hours.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Finell: View Post
    ...Yesterday's numbers are crazy. ...What is going on here??

53. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

54. TopTop #120
    Goat Rock Ukulele

May 28

1 New Case Tonight.

After a a week of higher case numbers it's good to only have a single case in Sonoma County reported. Case was not in the West County.

They seem to have taken the cases in the last 24 hours off the dashboard below. And it says 3 deaths in the last 24 hours but the total deaths has not changed. The other place I look at does not show any additional deaths, nor do local news sources. I hope that is a reporting error.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-29-2020 at 11:43 AM.

55. Gratitude expressed by: