Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    cyberanvil

Coronavirus Mask and Personal Protective Equipment

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    while i appreciate the intent of this thread, our main focus immediately needs to be prevention. Unproved theories will not stop a pandemic. For instance Canada is able to supply its citizens with surgical masks and gloves, yet we don't have them!!. Why is that? And no, your hardware store mask will not repel microbes.

During the 1918-19 flu pandemic, people died b/c they in desperation followed unproven medicines and theories.
    As for now, no cure in colloidal silver or anything else, even if true, will be found or distributed in a few weeks. Only precautions will repel the virus so please, how about a thread that shares and cares how we are staying safe and helping each other?
    Are masks really in short supply?
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/tech-billionaires-including-tim-cook-105741518.html

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    M/M

Re: Coronavirus Mask and Personal Protective Equipment

And no, your hardware store mask will not repel microbes.
    re: hardware store masks - this is an older article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3373043//
    Also gives directions for making very unstylish masks... LOL

Many who sew are making these or similar masks for patients at request of local RNs who have asked for help. The masks do not have to be exactly like the ones in the video but they do need to have the filter pocket.
    https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/diy-homemade-mask-protect-virus-coronavirus/

Quote it is unlikely that these masks will be hospital approved or able to be used by nurses. I do believe this nurse who reached out to me wants to use them for the people who have to visit the hospital for daily treatments, chemotherapy, dialysis, etc... I also found out there is a need for first responders. We do not want anyone dropping masks off at the hospital! Please drop off completed masks at Village Sewing Center. We will contact the nurses for pick up.

Village Sewing Center
    506 Lewis Road
    Santa Rosa CA 95404
    (707) 544-7529
    www.villagesewing.com

Note: masks can be made even more effective - listen to Trinity Ava's section of herbal symposium for some
    dilute essential oils that can be put on cotton or tissue and placed inside a mask.

There are other herb ally suggestions throughout the discussion as well.

Also health care workers' masks in certain states are being re-used: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/h...sks-reuse.html

Quote Ultraviolet light is being used to decontaminate medical supplies at the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha. Staff began using the first decontaminated gear on Thursday. ...“The data is very clear that you can kill and inactivate viruses with UV germicidal irradiation,” he said. “It is also very clear that you will not damage the respirators.”

The alternative, Dr. Lowe said, would be to ask health care workers to carefully store their masks and reuse them without cleaning them. Handling a mask repeatedly also increases the chances that it will be contaminated.

“We bring in large UV lamps, hit ‘start’ and leave the room,” Dr. Lowe said. “We let it shine for three to five minutes. It disinfects anywhere it can shine.”

As for N95 masks, the kind used by health care workers, “there are really good data that it can decontaminate and that it doesn’t degrade the masks a significant amount,” Dr. Lowe said.
    During the 1918-19 flu pandemic, people died b/c they in desperation followed unproven medicines and theories.
    As for now, no cure in colloidal silver or anything else, even if true, will be found or distributed in a few weeks. Only precautions will repel the virus so please
    Actually millions died because there was no immunity to virus; they continued working or returned to work too soon; they were very Vitamin D deficient and their own immune systems over-reacted in attempting to kill virus - overproducing cytokines.. One factory in PA lost no workers... All were given - free of charge - an herb tincture to take several times a day by an Eclectic MD.

3. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

4. TopTop #3
    M/M

Speaking of masks, and the crazy-making doublespeak or lies, from supposed leaders/health professionals - who have proven themselves not worthy of trust in their office such as US Surgeon General.

A clear message to save the too few masks for healthcare and other workers on the front lines - like those in our grocery stores, etc - could have sufficed. Whether public heeded that request or not is beside the point.

These Two Graphics Show Why New York City Is the Virus Epicenter in the U.S.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Quote Posted in reply to the post by cyberanvil: View Post
    Are masks really in short supply?
    Yes- they actually are. Hospital workers here, in Seattle, and I can only presume elsewhere are currently being advised on how to clean and reuse masks.

The governors of multiple states are asking the Feds for their stockpile of masks- which *are* being distributed- albeit slowly. Likewise one of the things Trump has done is gotten several companies to greatly increase production- though this will take time.

A couple things you have to understand. First- in a medical setting a mask should be disposed of after every interaction with an infected/possibly infected patient. Even if this is only a 3 minute interaction. Do the math- you can understand how many masks can be gone through in a single day.

Second- the masks everyone from Apple to construction companies are donating are NOT produced to the same standards medical masks are. What the government did was remove the liability from masks produced for industrial use. IE- the companies that make them for industrial rather then medical use can no longer be sued for them not being medical quality. They may be better then the currently available alternatives but...

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    cyberanvil

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SonomaPatientsCoop: View Post
    Second- the masks everyone from Apple to construction companies are donating are NOT produced to the same standards medical masks are. ...
    They may not be FDA approved, but N95 is N95 and that's why they were given a waver and are being used and donated.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    Shandi

I'm wondering if most people know how to actually use these masks. My roommate's son brought two for us, and gave a demonstration of how to put them on, and create a necessary "seal". I've had N95 masks since the fires, but never knew how to properly use them. How about you?

I went to YouTube, and found many demonstrations. This is just one of them.

Last edited by Barry; 03-25-2020 at 03:46 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #7
    cyberanvil

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SonomaPatientsCoop: View Post

Second- the masks everyone from Apple to construction companies are donating are NOT produced to the same standards medical masks are. What the government did was remove the liability from masks produced for industrial use. IE- the companies that make them for industrial rather then medical use can no longer be sued for them not being medical quality. They may be better then the currently available alternatives but...
    I believe they are.

Surgical N95 and industrial N95 respirators
    Respirators are designed to seal the respirator to the face and pass a fit test. Under Respiratory Protection Standard 29 CFR 1910.134, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration requires the wearer of a respirator to be fit tested before he or she can use the respirator in a contaminated environment. OSHA also requires the wearer to perform user seal checks on the respirator before each use, as well as comply with the other elements of a comprehensive respiratory protection program in accordance with 29 CFR 1910.134.

https://ohsonline.com/Articles/2014/...ry.aspx?Page=1

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #8
    M/M

Quote Posted in reply to the post by M/M: View Post
    re: hardware store masks - this is an older article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3373043//
    Also gives directions for making very unstylish masks... LOL

Many who sew are making these or similar masks for patients at request of local RNs who have asked for help. The masks do not have to be exactly like the ones in the video but they do need to have the filter pocket.
    https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...s-coronavirus/
    Village Sewing has an update re: home sewn masks:
    Quote The demand has been overwhelming for face masks. We have already sent out hundreds of masks to health care workers. Thank you to everyone who has contributed. Please keep them coming!!!

We have been overwhelmed with phone calls. There is only three of us here and we are getting hundreds of phone calls a day. I want to answer a few questions we are getting called for.

1st. Yes we are still collecting face masks 10-4 M-F

2nd. You do not need come come in the store to drop them off. You can leave them at the door.

3rd. Nowhere has elastic. We recommend making fabric strap that can be tied behind the head.

4th. The wire for the nose can be made out of different materials or left out all together. Some people are using floral wire (just fold over the ends so it does not poke through), twist ties, paperclips, etc...

5th. The filter can left out of the mask, but should have a pocket for a filter. If you want to make a diy filter I would recommend looking up information online. I did have a lady donate ground cover fabric which is suppose to made a great filter, who ever wants some can come by and get some for free.

6th. There is not set pattern for the masks. You can find a pattern online or look on our facebook page.

7th. If you are a health care worker you are welcome to come by a pick up masks.

I want to clear up some rumors we are hearing and getting calls about. It is not the hospitals who are calling us asking for masks. It is nurses who are asking for these masks. These are not hospital approved masks but the need is real and are being used. We have nurses from Memorial, Sutter, and Kaiser collecting masks. These masks are going to people on the front lines who really need them.

Please stop calling the hospitals, we are over whelmed with calls here. I can't imagine the call volume the hospitals are getting. We are getting calls from people who are saying "my family member works for a health care provider and they will not except these masks." I don't know your family member but I do know the nurses who are at our door for these masks and they are collecting them as fast as we get them in.

15. TopTop #9
    Goat Rock Ukulele

N95 is rated to block 95% @ .3 microns. if you can get a perfect seal which is difficult.
    What about the other 5%? I never wore N95 when working with hazardous products, always N100 which are not perfect but will block 99.97%
    You would never think of using an N95 around a dangerous product like asbestos, silica etc.
    I have to wonder if healthcare workers are well enough protected with N95
    Certainly you would never use a N95 in a bio containment lab.

If I was a healthcare worker here in Sonoma County treating only Covid-19 patients I might go down to BWS on Piner Rd by the railroad tracks and see if they could set you up with something. The powered units are very expensive but the most comfortable. I see them using some of these units when they are taking swabs at the drive-throughs.

16. Gratitude expressed by:

M/M
  17. TopTop #10
    patnicholson
    Supporting Member

I'm still looking for real info on how folks get de-contaminated after being exposed to the virus. Folks such as emts , nurses, lab techs, cleaners, anyone else who encounters live virus as part of their jobs.

thx, pat
    Last edited by Barry; 04-01-2020 at 12:48 PM.

18. TopTop #11
    M/M

Countries, cities, and health authorities all over the world are reconsidering their coronavirus advice that most people don't need to wear masks
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-countries-rethink-advice-masks-facial-coverings-2020-4

Experts Tell White House Coronavirus Can Spread Through Talking Or Even Just Breathing

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/04/02/experts-coronavirus-spread-talking-breathing/
    Last edited by Barry; 04-04-2020 at 11:42 AM.

19. Gratitude expressed by:

20. TopTop #12
    cyberanvil

Quote Posted in reply to the post by M/M: View Post
    Countries, cities, and health authorities all over the world are reconsidering their coronavirus advice that most people don't need to wear masks...
    Great! Now instead of being short 20 million masks, we will be short 300 million masks.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-04-2020 at 11:40 AM.

21. TopTop #13
    patnicholson
    Supporting Member

So, I don't know the answer to this . Hope you do.

could we become a little more detailed. .? We've learned that not all masks are alike. And, is my n-95 mask from last year's fires , still provides a physical barrier, slows the spread of the virus, effective? As effective as a new one? I believe if the purpose of the mask is effective-ness , then it matters.

to address the question of massive mask production , how many of that 20m, 300m needs to be produced new.? ( don't know, interested in answer )

paper/plastics n95 masks can be sterilized for re-use. That's new stuff, yes? sterilizing masks for re-use. They can be printed. In Jan.2020 ,how many masks were avail( right now, just the n95) ? On arpril 3,2020 , how many are avail?( Betcha a lot more)

Then there is the cloth-type mask. It can be made at home( ok, if you have a "printing press" you can turn out masks as well as other ppe products, I have no idea the rate at which these would be produced, or the cost)
    taking all this into account, what level of mask production would be needed? (Your answer ....clock is ticking!)
    cloth masks are washable.

which leaves ,how many cloth masks are needed?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by cyberanvil: View Post
    Great! Now instead of being short 20 million masks, we will be short 300 million masks.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-04-2020 at 11:40 AM.

22. Gratitude expressed by:

23. TopTop #14

A doctor explains how to make the safest mask, using HEPA vacuum filter, pipecleaner and e

Subject: Fwd: A doctor explains how to make the safest mask, using HEPA vacuum filter, pipecleaner and elastic.

Date: April 5, 2020 at 7:49:47 PM PDT

Hi everyone,
    Sending y’all lots of Love and Kindness, (as well as the link to the video)!

It would be great if folks could make these and supply the hospitals etc.!

This mask is made using a HEPA vacuum filter.
    Do not go out to buy materials to make this mask; use what you have at home.

Do NOT use pins at all, during the process, because the pins puncture the fabric (and the pin holes create leaks in the mask).

Also stated in the following video:

Best to wear a mask while you make the mask, and be sure to first wash your hands.
    If making for others, DO NOT try on yourself—or you will contaminate the mask.

Last edited by Barry; 04-06-2020 at 11:42 AM.

24. TopTop #15

Re: A doctor explains how to make the safest mask, using HEPA vacuum filter, pipecleaner a

Oh no!
    Anyone have an educated opinion about this?

The guy in video (see link below) says there’s fiberglass in the HEPA filters…I can’t really tell who he is, but I know the woman who sent me this. It seems like the doctor would have thought of this,...

Love and apologies,
    Dusty

Dusty,According to this, using these filters is a bad idea. Check it out.
    Judy

Last edited by Barry; 04-06-2020 at 11:43 AM.

25. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: