Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: We've Got You
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Scott McKeown

We've Got You

This is a beautiful time for us to step up and express the love we have for others in our community.

We don't want any of our elders, especially any of the vulnerable among us because of underlying heath issues, having to go to local grocery stores and walk around exposing themselves to risk just because nobody else will do their shopping for them.

I am not over 65 and I do not have an underlying condition. If you are elderly, and particularly if you are elderly with an underlying health condition, and you do not feel comfortable going to the local stores to do shopping or run errands, I will volunteer do some shopping for you for free after regular weekday work hours and on weekends (as long as I don't have symptoms). I will also take precautions by wearing gloves while handling your shopping items.

I will be gone for the next few days but I will be back this coming weekend. Barry Chertov, the founder of this website, is a long time friend of mine who will verify my character. My cell phone number is 707-799-3311.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: We've Got You

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Scott McKeown: View Post
    ...Barry Chertov, the founder of this website, is a long time friend of mine who will verify my character.
    Scott who? Scott is a mensh's mensch, and he's demonstrating it again. Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Scott. I'm guessing there are other menshches (and menschettes) out there that would be willing to help out those that are most vulnerable.

So if you are over 65 or have an underlying health issue and are self quarantining and would like some help with shopping for essentials please start a new thread in General Community with information about your situation, need and neighborhood location. Hopefully some community members will step forward in service.

I also notice that while Whole Foods in Sebastopol offers delivery there is a notice on the site that says "Inventory and delivery maybe temporarily unavailable due to increased demand. Confirm availability at check out." Seems like it worth a try and may be a good resource for the rest of us as well.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    John Eder
    Former Seb City Council Member

Definition: A mensch is a particularly good person with the qualities one would hope for in a dear friend or trusted colleague; a gentleman.

Scott definitely seems to fit the definition...

As an adjunct to this, as time goes on, some of our friends and neighbors may be required to leave their home- for hospitalization, more support (especially seniors/high risk), etc. I read an article recently regarding the pets that were left behind in Wuhan, China. Many of their owners never came back, for various reasons. Groups there are now breaking into apartments, etc. to save these pets. Given the security concerns regarding strangers entering your home, this is a matter likely best resolved between neighbors or close friends. If you have a pet (or anything else that depends on you), please consider requesting that a friend take responsibility for it/them in the event that you can no longer do so.

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Scott McKeown

Okay, I am back. Please tell me, dear person who is extra vulnerable to the coronavirus, if I can do your shopping for you. I can do shopping for you after my normal work hours after 5:30 PM Monday through Friday. I can do more expanded hours on weekends. I want you to feel that others in your community care about your health and well being. Which we do.

8. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

9. TopTop #5
    Scott McKeown

It appears that COVID-19 has arrived in my community of Sebastopol. The Ruin Cocktail Bar on Main Street has reported on their Facebook page that one of their staff members has tested positive for the coronavirus.

I applaud The Ruin Bar for self reporting because the County of Sonoma has a strange policy (not practiced in many other places) of refusing to give any details whatsoever about infections and deaths in the county. Apparently that policy might change when the number of infections reach 50.

While doing a little shopping today I saw a frail elderly man struggling to walk down the aisles to do his shopping. I wanted to go up to him and offer to do his shopping for him but I didn't. We should not have these vulnerable seniors among us having to do their own shopping and expose themselves to risk. We can do better. But how? Nobody has yet called me to do their shopping for them. How do we get the word out to the most vulnerable among us that We've Got You!?

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #6
    terryjones

Maybe try posting on Waco Elders or at the senior community center, just a thought.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-22-2020 at 12:51 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

13. TopTop #7
    FrederickW

Quote Posted in reply to the post by terryjones: View Post
    Maybe try posting on Waco Elders or at the senior community center,  just a thought.

I appreciate your concerns Scott about your elderly neighbor - and I feel you would have been completely appropriate in expressing your concern and offer of assistance to your neighbor -- the man in the aisle on his own

Perhaps this virus will erode our manufactured social norms and allow us to be totally humane and befriending to one another.

We have fallen into a trap of individualism, when in reality none of us are alone - we just do not approach one another with a question or an offer

14. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

15. TopTop #8
    cyberanvil

Many people are using NextDoor the neighborhood hub to communicate and offer help to Seniors as well as others. It would be nice if more people used it.

https://nextdoor.com/neighborhood/se...ebastopol--ca/

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: