Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

Cash carries germs; It may be better to use debit/credit cards as a preventative measure

I thought about this yesterday, and realize that whenever we handle cash, we're exposed to a high number of germs, so I'm going to be using my cards instead. My main bank card doesn't even need me to put in a pin number, so I don't have to touch the pad, which is also full of bacteria.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Re: Cash carries germs; It may be better to use debit/credit cards as a preventative measu

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    I thought about this yesterday, and realize that whenever we handle cash, we're exposed to a high number of germs,...
    So is every door handle. If you are concerned at this level, then it's best to wear gloves when you leave the house... and don't touch your face with your gloves!

3. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

4. TopTop #3
    Shandi

Re: Cash carries germs; It may be better to use debit/credit cards as a preventative measu

Using my card instead of cash is just one small step in prevention. In one list I saw, it did recommend not touching door handles with our hands, but instead using our elbow or knuckle or a tissue. I'm not paranoid, but cautious. I did pick up a pair of loose fitting plastic gloves for grocery shopping, and putting gas in my car. I'll keep these in my purse. I don't use ATMs, which are another potential source of bacteria. Think about people who never wash their hands after using the bathroom, and then use the ATM or pump gas.

Being more aware isn't something to sneeze at~
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    So is every door handle. If you are concerned at this level, then it's best to wear gloves when you leave the house... and don't touch your face with your gloves!

5. TopTop #4
    Stargazer

What happens when there is a power outage from a solar flare or any kind of a power outage? If one does not have cash on hand, how is anyone going to buy anything they need? So now we are going to get rid cash? Are you ready for a chip in your head or your hand? If a criminal wants to rob you, it will not be your wallet, it will be your head or your hand, not your wallet.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Using my card instead of cash is just one small step in prevention....
    Last edited by Barry; 03-09-2020 at 12:32 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #5
    SonomaPatientsCoop

I find this line of thinking kind of dangerous actually...

While we still don't know a lot about the coronavirus, it does seem that just like the flu and common cold- transmission is mostly person to person. And like the cold and flu- transmission from surfaces seem to be far more likely from hard surfaces than soft surfaces. (FWIW- while there is no real answer at the moment the general consensus from experts seems to be is that the virus can live on solid surfaces for between 2-9 hours).

So... if you're paying with a card you may or may not have to hand it to another person. Either way you're likely to have interact with a terminal- buttons and or a "pen" - a hard plastic surface that countless other people have handled over the preceding hours. And if not a terminal you're going to be handed a piece a paper and a pen- a pen which many others have also handled.

I fail to see how this is somehow safer?

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: