Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Glia

Medicare for All (MFA) price tag

"I just feel Bernie is not being fully truthful. Seems to me that I'm getting conned. His website lists more details than he is willing to mention in interviews. I'm not comfortable when he won't state specifics of his tax increases and just where 100T is coming from. "It will be cheaper" doesn't cut it for me. Increased taxes are going to save me money? Sorry Bernie, I'll need more specifics before I buy that bridge." - cyberanvil

There's much more to the story than just your tax bill.

As presidential candidates continue to discuss Medicare for All, John Oliver of Last Week Tonight explores how much it might cost, what it will change, and who it will help. (posted 21 Feb 2020)

https://portside.org/video/2020-02-21/medicare-all

22 Studies Agree: 'Medicare for All' Saves Money
    https://portside.org/2020-02-26/22-s...ll-saves-money
    published February 24, 2020 in The Hill
    The evidence abounds: A "Medicare for All" single-payer system would guarantee comprehensive coverage to everyone in America and save money. Every single study, regardless of ideological orientation, predicted that it would yield net savings.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    cyberanvil

Re: Medicare for All (MFA) price tag

I don't believe MFA is a slam dunk of an idea.

Would ‘Medicare for All’ Save Billions or Cost Billions?

"After Mr. Sanders’s presidential campaign released a tax proposal in 2016, the Urban Institute tried to calculate the effects on different groups. But it found that the proposed taxes would pay for only about half of the increased federal bill. That means that a real financing proposal would probably need to raise a lot more in taxes. How those are spread across the population would change who would be better or worse off under Medicare for all."

Last edited by Barry; 03-03-2020 at 10:51 AM.

4. TopTop #3
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Re: Medicare for All (MFA) price tag

Well, I find this a bit of a moot conversation as there is zero chance "Medicare for all" is going to pass congress.

I started a much longer post but I'll try to keep this short...

Yes- MFA can cut costs somewhat. Because the government can "negotiate" lower drug costs and lower fees from hospitals and doctors. And by "negotiate" I mean bargain with the threat of regulation...or under Bernie... nationalization.

Lwt's think about something for a moment- Bernie loves to point to Denmark and Finland. Socialized medicine has never been tried in a country the size of the US. I doubt there is a single country with the population and GDP of even CA or TX...much less the US

Bernie has refused to include even a moderate co-pay... even though the evidence from multiple countries is that a modest ( ~$20 co-pay) keeps people from running to the doctor for ever perceived ache, pain or sniffle- which has over-burdened many systems and drivien up the cost. (Warren proposes a small co-pay).

While the US lags in day to day care- it leads the world in complex surgery, complex health care, and drug development. All of these are likely to collapse under Bernies plan. With no profit incentive people are not going into the high stress world...

From traditional GP's to naturopaths, to Chinese/herbal medicine, to accupuncture, osteopaths... pretty much none of the doctors I know take insurance. What will happen to them under Bernies MFA? Is it going to be a pointless system where we all have to pay for others while still having to pay for our own healthcare? Or will all these doctors be driven out? (and our healthcare along with it)

And, as I've said time and time again- I don't trust the federal government to provide healthcare. Will women's healthcare. abortion, contraception be covered? How about addiction treatment? Transgender hormones/surgery? Treatments for Sicle cell anemia and other genetic diseases that mostly affect minorities? Will this recovered under dems but not repubs? Will it be covered when this can change every two years?

And finally... after Bernie released his plan one of the think tanks that helped him come up with it came out and said it would require increased taxes on the middle class.

Personally- I think the blueprint of Obamacare is better. Subsidies for those who need it. Regulations and negotiations to lower costs. Incentives to employers. Most of America should be able to afford basic healthcare. And we should be able to make it work for the more advanced needs without harming the upper level of care available in the US.

And sorry... but maybe many of us need to cut back on our cars. Our Whole Paycheck shopping. Our Kauai/Costa Rica/Europe/Thailand trips, Our Yoga classes. Our $500 burning man outfits. Our excessive lifestyles- including housing that is well beyond our needs. And maybe pay our way rather then expect "them" to pay for it.

5. Gratitude expressed by: