Yay! Or...not so much. I'm not quite sure if this is just Bernie promising people the sky (yet again) to get votes...or if it is Bernie (again) not understanding what he can actually deliver...

Let's look at this a little..

Yes, per my understanding, the president does have broad powers to reschedule (or remove from scheduling) a substance under the Controlled Substances Act . But again, my understanding is this would also take actions from multiple agencies- whose heads would be appointed by the president but would not be in place on day one- and less this is his litmus test for an appointment (bad choice IMHO) there's no guarantee they would go along with it.

Regardless- Sanders would have no power to override STATE laws on prohibitions. It may no longer be Schedule I federally- but nothing would change in many states. Indeed- many states would resent this move and likely slow the progress being made.

He also made some broad, sweeping...and hollow statements about keeping the industry from being swallowed by big business. HELLO... earth to Sanders... Federal legalization on day one...with no sets of laws passed by congress to regulate, will simply open up interstate transactions. IE: the big players who already have massive infrastructure will suddenly be allowed to move/sell product to any state that already has medical/recreational laws. Indeed- one of the smaller but healthier publicly traded cannabis companies already has a deal inked with one of the major international corporations to be purchased for 1 billion dollars the day federal legalization happens.

If you just close your eyes, and get past the fact his voice sounds eerily like Nixons... he's the left's Trump. A bull in the china shop. All these grandiose promises that sound great to his base....stroke their fears and desires but....