Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

PD Editorial: Lynda Hopkins has earned a second term

My comments:

1) Interesting that this should come out on Christmas eve. Conspiracy theories anybody?

2) I agree!

3) Note that 4 years ago most of you were supporting Noreen. Lynda was seen as in the pocket of moneyed interests. My sense was that Lynda's heart was in the right place... and I think that has be shown to be true.

Not long after winning, Lynda plunged in to the Guerneville homeless problem and dug deep. Frankly, I didn't follow the details but it sounded like she made an earnest attempt to understand the many dimensions of the problem. Sounds like she took so actions that are helping. She has brought that experience to the JRT problem and has shown leadership on that issue, in addition to helping us through the ensuing calamities, as well as being a strong advocate for local climate change actions.

Plus she gives good facebook feed!

It's clear she deserves our enthusiastic support!

I think Lynda is a promising young political talent with a bright future, and we are honored to have her represent us.

Barry

THE EDITORIAL BOARD
    December 24, 2019, 12:05AM

Four years ago, no contest on the Sonoma County ballot produced as much conflict and intensity as the west county seat on the Board of Supervisors.

Lynda Hopkins, relatively unknown and largely untested when she entered the race, finished first by a small margin in a five-way primary, then defeated a more experienced rival, former state Sen. Noreen Evans, in the general election.

As a candidate, Hopkins promised a break from the factionalism that defined local politics in Sonoma County for so long. She also promised to create new avenues for 5th District residents to influence county policy.

As a county supervisor, Hopkins has kept her word.

Her politics are unabashedly progressive, but she’s a results-oriented elected official. She listens to business and agriculture interests, refuses to sign pledges for any interest group (“I hate litmus tests”) and works to ensure that more of the tax dollars collected in the west county are spent there on road maintenance and other services for her constituents.

Maybe that’s why her district is shaping up as the least combative of the three supervisorial contests to be decided on the March 3 ballot, even though the west county has been under one disaster declaration or another for more than 90% of Hopkins’ tenure.

“It has been floods, fires, floods, fires,” she told the editorial board, “punctuated by the power shutoffs, smoke in the skies, threats to our local schools.”

And homelessness.

When the tent city popped up on the Joe Rodota Trail this year, Hopkins pressed her board colleagues to find alternatives. On Monday, the supervisors appropriated $11.6 million for housing, drug treatment and the county’s first sanctioned encampments.

As a newly elected board member, Hopkins inherited a tumultuous conflict over shelter and services in Guerneville, complete with protest signs reading “not in my hometown.”

She didn’t shy away from the controversy, hosting town hall meetings and naming advocates and critics to a committee that evaluated proposals for addressing homeless along the lower Russian River.

Three years later, she says, homeless in river communities “has started to tilt downward.”

Hopkins employed a similar model to give her constituents input on other issues, establishing municipal advisory committees with members selected by local residents and public meetings streamed on social media.

Her lone opponent in the March 3 primary, Mike Hilber of Santa Rosa, describes himself as a taxpayer advocate. Hilber has some interesting ideas, including construction of a warehouse-sized homeless shelter. He also favors construction of apartments for county employees on the Chanate Road hospital property rather than selling it to a private developer.

But he doesn’t make a compelling case for unseating Hopkins or for how he would persuade the rest of the board to follow his lead.

Outside Sebastopol and a portion of west Santa Rosa, the 5th District is entirely unincorporated territory, governed by the Board of Supervisors. The district has pockets of high unemployment, aging infrastructure and conflicting views about winery events, vacation rentals and marijuana farming that demand leadership from the local supervisor.

Lynda Hopkins is providing that leadership, and The Press Democrat recommends her for reelection in the 5th District.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-25-2019 at 10:23 AM.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

3. TopTop #2
    rossmen

Re: PD Editorial: Lynda Hopkins has earned a second term

1) the pd is controlled by local mainstream demo powerbrokers, ie the man. An endorsement from this source would be refused by an honest representative of the people.

2) lynda Hopkins has demonstrated true political talent, sure she crashed and burned in her gurneville homeless efforts, but she makes us feel good right now about the rodota encampment, and gets the other supevisors to pledge millions. Definitely gets things done!

3) whatever my evolution of support for Hopkins, my hope is she follows her ambition and talent to bigger pastures. She will be reelected, and I will vote for the other guy. Lynda is really good at working with the status quo. She doesn't rock the boat. She sits in the oarsman chair, beats the drum, and shouts stroke, stroke, stroke.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    My comments:

1) Interesting that this should come out on Christmas eve. Conspiracy theories anybody?

2) I agree!

3) Note that 4 years ago most of you were supporting Noreen. Lynda was seen as in the pocket of moneyed interests. My sense was that Lynda's heart was in the right place... and I think that has be shown to be true.

Not long after winning, Lynda plunged in to the Guerneville homeless problem and dug deep. Frankly, I didn't follow the details but it sounded like she made an earnest attempt to understand the many dimensions of the problem. Sounds like she took so actions that are helping. She has brought that experience to the JRT problem and has shown leadership on that issue, in addition to helping us through the ensuing calamities, as well as being a strong advocate for local climate change actions.

Plus she gives good facebook feed!

It's clear she deserves our enthusiastic support!

I think Lynda is a promising young political talent with a bright future, and we are honored to have her represent us.

Barry

THE EDITORIAL BOARD
    December 24, 2019, 12:05AM

Four years ago, no contest on the Sonoma County ballot produced as much conflict and intensity as the west county seat on the Board of Supervisors.

Lynda Hopkins, relatively unknown and largely untested when she entered the race, finished first by a small margin in a five-way primary, then defeated a more experienced rival, former state Sen. Noreen Evans, in the general election.

As a candidate, Hopkins promised a break from the factionalism that defined local politics in Sonoma County for so long. She also promised to create new avenues for 5th District residents to influence county policy.

As a county supervisor, Hopkins has kept her word.

Her politics are unabashedly progressive, but she’s a results-oriented elected official. She listens to business and agriculture interests, refuses to sign pledges for any interest group (“I hate litmus tests”) and works to ensure that more of the tax dollars collected in the west county are spent there on road maintenance and other services for her constituents.

Maybe that’s why her district is shaping up as the least combative of the three supervisorial contests to be decided on the March 3 ballot, even though the west county has been under one disaster declaration or another for more than 90% of Hopkins’ tenure.

“It has been floods, fires, floods, fires,” she told the editorial board, “punctuated by the power shutoffs, smoke in the skies, threats to our local schools.”

And homelessness.

When the tent city popped up on the Joe Rodota Trail this year, Hopkins pressed her board colleagues to find alternatives. On Monday, the supervisors appropriated $11.6 million for housing, drug treatment and the county’s first sanctioned encampments.

As a newly elected board member, Hopkins inherited a tumultuous conflict over shelter and services in Guerneville, complete with protest signs reading “not in my hometown.”

She didn’t shy away from the controversy, hosting town hall meetings and naming advocates and critics to a committee that evaluated proposals for addressing homeless along the lower Russian River.

Three years later, she says, homeless in river communities “has started to tilt downward.”

Hopkins employed a similar model to give her constituents input on other issues, establishing municipal advisory committees with members selected by local residents and public meetings streamed on social media.

Her lone opponent in the March 3 primary, Mike Hilber of Santa Rosa, describes himself as a taxpayer advocate. Hilber has some interesting ideas, including construction of a warehouse-sized homeless shelter. He also favors construction of apartments for county employees on the Chanate Road hospital property rather than selling it to a private developer.

But he doesn’t make a compelling case for unseating Hopkins or for how he would persuade the rest of the board to follow his lead.

Outside Sebastopol and a portion of west Santa Rosa, the 5th District is entirely unincorporated territory, governed by the Board of Supervisors. The district has pockets of high unemployment, aging infrastructure and conflicting views about winery events, vacation rentals and marijuana farming that demand leadership from the local supervisor.

Lynda Hopkins is providing that leadership, and The Press Democrat recommends her for reelection in the 5th District.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-26-2019 at 08:41 AM.

4. TopTop #3
    Imagery

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    3) whatever my evolution of support for Hopkins, my hope is she follows her ambition and talent to bigger pastures.
    As ridiculous as this sounds, I'm writing her name in for the 2nd most #Dirtyjob in the United States: she would be a force that would completely disrupt the paradigm of corruption that exists.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Debrah E

Lynda Hopkins has more than earned a second term. The last several years in our county have been more challenging than one can ever recall. I was a supporter of Noreen Evans and quite skeptical of Lynda. However she has proven herself to be a hardworking advocate for the needs of our county.

7. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Jon Jackson

I agree. I was also a supporter of Noreen Evans. But, Lynda has really stepped up to the plate for us.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Debrah E: View Post
    Lynda Hopkins has more than earned a second term. The last several years in our county have been more challenging than one can ever recall. I was a supporter of Noreen Evans and quite skeptical of Lynda. However she has proven herself to be a hardworking advocate for the needs of our county.

9. Gratitude expressed by 5 members: