Discover how to Cat Proof the Christmas Tree: The Ultimate Guide

If you don't want to read this, at least know that tinsel or any kind of garland can be DEADLY and COSTLY if ingested, because it will wrap around your cat's organs and the cat will most likely die. It happens every year.

https://kitty-scratch.com/blog/holidays/cat-proof-christmas-tree

A second answer with more information: reposted from Quora-

Megan Horton, former Kitty Foster Mama, Animal Savior, Vet Assistant

A “Ssscat” motion activated deterrent is what I have used for the last 11 years and it works so well I haven't even had to turn it on for a good portion of those years. I just set it near where I don't want the cats or dog to go and they avoid it like the plague! It is just canned air with a motion sensor that sprays a burst of noisy air when the cat (or dog) is within 3 (mine seems to reach farther) feet of it. It scares even the most docile cats. It works better than just about any other training method because you do not have to be around for it to work. Cats are smart and quickly figure out they won't get squirted with a spray bottle etc. when you're not around so they just wait for you to leave! I have the same sensors that I purchased all those years ago so durability is fantastic and you can get cheap canned air at your local store for refills vs buying the expensive name brand refills.

***I want to add: NEVER decorate with tinsel when you have cats! They will play with and eat it which can cause tears in the intestines and, unfortunately, death. If your cat has ingested tinsel and has any hanging out from his/her anus do NOT pull it out as it can be tangled in the intestines and cause tearing. Take your cat to the vet for help.***