Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valet Posting Service
    WaccoBB Valet Posting Service

Beloved Copperfield's seeks place to call home

Dear Copperfield’s Books Community - gofundme campaign

We opened our first store right here in Sebastopol, in 1981, excited to become the town’s first full-service bookstore. As Sonoma County booklovers started visiting our store, it only took two years for us to outgrow our original 725 sq. ft. location. We then moved into this historic building on Main Street, which is our current location, pictured above.

After renting this building for the past 37 years, and not being able to agree on a new lease with the landlord, Copperfield’s Books has been given the opportunity to purchase the building. This 97-year-old building, which used to be the Analy Five & Dime store, not only houses our bookstore downstairs but is also the location of our company headquarters, where an additional 15 people work on the upper level. We are the perfect user for this building and are excited for the opportunity to become an even more permanent anchor in downtown Sebastopol and the greater West County community. We are proud of our commitment to creating a community spirit whose legacy we hope to continue for future generations.

We invite you, our amazingly supportive community, to help us in purchasing the building by contributing whatever amount (no donation is too small) for the required down payment. The down payment is approximately $200,000 of the $1.75M purchase price, and we will be grateful for any amount generated from this GoFund Me campaign. Our lease expires December 31st this year and we hope to finalize the purchase by January 1st 2020.

A bookstore is more than just a retail business. A bookstore is a magnet around which culture and conversation gathers. Bookstores inspire, delight, and spark the imagination. They foster relationships, great conversations and personal and collective growth. Even in our age of dizzying technological advances, a good, nurturing bookstore is an irreplaceable and integral part of a community.

Thank you for your unwavering support and consideration, and we look forward to serving our community for many years to come.

With much gratitude,
    Paul Jaffe, Co-owner & Founder
    And the entire, amazing Copperfield’s Books Family

See gofundme campaign here

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Re: Beloved Copperfield's seeks place to call home

This just truly disturbs me. No long established business... with three locations...should have to be begging for money to move forward.

But... I think this pretty well sums up the reality of Sonoma County...and doing business in CA in general.

4. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

5. TopTop #3
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SonomaPatientsCoop: View Post
    This just truly disturbs me. No long established business... with three locations...should have to be begging for money to move forward.

But... I think this pretty well sums up the reality of Sonoma County...and doing business in CA in general.
    I'm sure there are legal reasons why it's hard, and I'm sure they've been thinking along these lines, but when things like this come up I always wonder why they can't offer to sell some sort of intangibles or deferred benefit. I guess that's what stocks are supposed to do, but other than offering a share of ownership, is there something?

6. TopTop #4

I agree. It's really sad that Copperfields has to do this and I hope some big pocket donors are able to step up quickly. And small ones, too. I was in there today buying some Christmas presents and the store was packed with goodies and customers purchasing them. May it continue. Lilith. Oh and mannnnny long years ago I worked behind the counter there part time. Enjoyed it.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SonomaPatientsCoop: View Post
    This just truly disturbs me. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 12-14-2019 at 02:54 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5

And it really saddens me to see so many closed shops along Main St. now. Esp. missing the uniqueness ofWild Things. Sigh. Lilith
    Last edited by Barry; 12-14-2019 at 02:35 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6
    sealwatcher
    Supporting member

I'm going in today to thank Maureen for all she brought us during her thirty years with her shop Wild Things. She's retiring and let's wish her a good one! And for the others, well, along came the Barlow! Brought to us by our city council and city planners!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lilith Rogers: View Post
    And it really saddens me to see so many closed shops along Main St. now. Esp. missing the uniqueness ofWild Things. Sigh. Lilith

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    Imagery

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    I'm going in today to thank Maureen for all she brought us during her thirty years with her shop Wild Things. She's retiring and let's wish her a good one! And for the others, well, along came the Barlow! Brought to us by our city council and city planners!
    But the parking (and charging) spaces for my electric submarine are so limited!

13. TopTop #8
    rossmen

The price is too high. 1.75 mil for 100yr old downtown building? These kind of deals are hard to negotiate. Copperfield's could call their bluff by staying put and waiting till the property is really put on the market. Their lease terms are a main determination of the building value. And community love would help them get in escrow at a probably greatly reduced price.

14. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: