Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Lynda Hopkins video in Washington Post connects the fires to climate change

"In Northern California, the Kincaid Fire caused unprecedented evacuations and power outages. Sonoma County’s Fifth District Supervisor Lynda Hopkins calls it ground zero for climate change. " - Washington Post.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Re: Lynda Hopkins video in Washington Post connects the fires to climate change

Hmm. While I agree to an extent...we've also built communities in areas ripe for wildfires. And chosen, ahem, *cheap* electricity rather then making the hard choice of burying the cables and paying the cost.

I remember years ago when I realized just why they call CA the "Golden State"... it's not because of its Gold Rush history, but because the hills all turn gold in early summer- dry grass ripe for raging fires.

On a side note- this is why I ignored the "mandatory evacuation orders" for West County. Being near Occidental... I would have evacuated if the fire jumped 101. But.. if it did....with the vineyards and the larger trees... the fire would not race like the Tubbs fire which spread quickly due to winds and grass.

It's ironic. Over the years I've heard so many people...moan.... over taxpayers paying for people to rebuild in the hurricane, tornado, and flood zones in this country. Are we any different?

And I'm sorry- I have a lot of respect for Lynda Hopkins. But to dumb this down to "Climate Change" rather then take a hard look at ourselves... well... this sees to be where we are at as a country I guess...

4. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SonomaPatientsCoop: View Post
    ....with the vineyards and the larger trees... the fire would not race like the Tubbs fire which spread quickly due to winds and grass. ...
    Turns out that fire can spread through tree tops rather quickly, called a crown fire.

Vineyards, OTOH, do slow down a fire's progress.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Turns out that fire can spread through tree tops rather quickly, called a crown fire.

Vineyards, OTOH, do slow down a fire's progress.

Yes... I''m well aware of that... part of my decision making. One of my best friends from Grateful Dead tour days was part of the forest service "hot shot" fire crews... and I learned a lot about fires (I also got given access to a lot of the absolutely amazing fire lookout towers. ).

I made an educated decision. Partially based on the fact that I could I be on the beaches in little time...maybe loose my car but... And partially because the other evacuations... the choke points of the roads was almost a bigger threat then the fires...

I was reminded of the Libertarian Presidential candidate and former Mew Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson on "wait wait, don't tell me". He was asked what does it mean to be a Libertarian". He said something like " you know, you're out on these rural highways at night. You come to a red light. You stop. Look both ways. You go on through. "

It's like the walk signals. I don't need someone to tell me when it's safe to cross the street. Or go through the intersection. Or flee.

I can make my own %$*^ decision. And live...or die.. with that choice. I don't expect "government" to make that decision for me... nor to save me if I make the wrong decision. I guess I'm in the minority here....

8. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: