Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Glia

The American dream is dying and everyone knows it

From Andrew Yang

The reason I’m running for president is because politicians in DC are not up to solving the problems of the 21st century.
    Why? Because most of them barely understand the problems of the 21st century.

The numbers say you have a 50-50 chance of doing better than your parents if you are a millennial. That same number was 90% if you were born in the 1940s or 50s. The American dream is dying -- and everyone knows it. It’s why people are feeling that sinking sense of despair. We need to wake politicians up from politics as usual and to the problems of this era.

And it’s going to take a campaign like this one -- outsider, non-politician, completely funded by the people with grassroots donations -- to wake them up.

This is a revolution of humanity and reason. We are tired of the infighting, the nonsense, the solutions that will never touch our lives. We have to evolve our economy to one that puts humanity first -- real people -- instead of GDP and corporate profits.

I didn’t grow up dreaming of running for president. I’m in this race to help solve problems that are making it harder and harder for us to leave our children more than we had. It’s going to be very, very difficult, but I think we can do it if enough of us get together and do the work.

A year ago, many laughed at this campaign. I can tell you firsthand from the campaign trail -- they are not laughing now.

This campaign wasn’t built by big donors or the establishment media -- it was built in spite of those things. And we must remember that it will take an extraordinary effort to take on the other candidates who will have these winds at their backs.

-Andrew Yang
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Moon

Re: The American dream is dying and everyone knows it

Andrew, I agree with your statements and feel sure of your sincerity in making them, though I'd do better with something more specific. Here's the thing: I think only an experienced politician will be able to get the refugee children's camps shut down and facilitate US progress toward, say, environmental rescue, lasting peace and global material sufficiency. Sanders is an experienced politician, and I think he would do all of the above--especially closing the camps--in the least time possible. I also think we need to avoid splitting the vote in the primary, so unless we can get the DNC to use Ranked Choice Voting by then, we'd better stick with Sanders.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-30-2019 at 02:51 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Re: The American dream is dying and everyone knows it

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Moon: View Post
    I think only an experienced politician will be able to get the refugee children's camps shut down and facilitate US progress toward, say, environmental rescue, lasting peace and global material sufficiency. Sanders is an experienced politician, >snip

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "experienced" . It is true Sanders is one of the longest serving members of congress. But it is also true that during that time he has gotten a whopping 6? bills passed - one extending benefits for Veterans, one or two dealing with public lands in VT and the rest dealing with post offices in VT. He ranks at the very bottom of congress critters in terms of getting co-sponsors for bills or getting support for his bills.

I simply can not see a world where Sanders can get anything through congress. Especially as it is likely the R's will hold the Senate and may or may not win the House (and, I would argue, there are at least a couple dozen D's in the House that would never vote for Sanders' proposals). Then there's the reality that we have a Federal court system- all the way to the Supreme Court, that is now full of Trump appointees...

If Sanders became president I force another 4 years of little real legislation being passed. A continuation of the expansion of executive power - with things only getting done by executive order or rule changes, and everything being tied up in the courts as Sanders rips apart the Democratic Party as Trump did the Republican Party, and the nations divide growing larger and larger.

And...as to the OP... I think the late, great Hunter S Thompson declared "the American Dream" dead a good 15 years or so ago. The idea that the children born today would be better off then their parents... that's a dream long gone. But now where being offered empty promises that the government will take care of us if we *only* put *them* into a position of power....
    Last edited by Barry; 11-05-2019 at 01:43 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by: