Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    DivineLightBeing

Re: Homeless Encampment on Highway 12

Thanks for your input Barbara, this is what I just wrote on the Homeless encampment along the Joe Rodota Trail thread........I was at their meeting last Wednesday at 6pm and I met some pretty amazing people who want to help and make a difference, from food prep to whatever. The porto potty issue is in the works. Adrienne from Homeless Action is working on it. Mountain Fresh Spring water located in Cotati I believe just donated 100 5GL water containers which are brought 5 at the time on site. They are committed to sanitize and reuse these containers to provide needed potable water to the residents. Sanitation is a big issue and the trail residents are being rallied to keep trail clean and safe for the general public use. This is what I wrote on the post:

“Thanks for the information about how the general public can step in and contribute in their capacity. I started getting involved while the fire shut down most of all local businesses etc....and brought food cooked in my tiny RV home. Now I am more motivated to help because I realized that while some people are working on more permanent solutions, I can help with the organizing of the distribution of much needed supplies.

A new Facebook page has been started last Sunday by Rochelle called “Sonoma County Acts of Kindness”.

This is the list of what is urgently needed hopefully before the rain:

Tarps or plastic sheeting that can be grommeted and used to keep dry.
    Tents for people sleeping on crates without cover
    Hand sanitizers, wet ones or body wipes
    Men jackets
    Blankets
    Garbage cans with wheels
    Hand warmers
    Storage bins with tops (Rodent proof)

These items can be deposited and distributed by Reyvon Hill (trail resident and organizer) near entrance by Goodwill store. Cell: 707-757-4567[email protected] Please contact her to find out how you can help even if all you can do is a load of laundry or whatever...

I am providing her with chargeable battery packs for her and other residents cell phones for open communication.

To get informed: Homeless Action meeting every Monday (9:30 -11) Methodist Church 1551 Montgomery Dr, Santa Rosa McMullen Room Coordinator Adrienne Lauby [email protected]

Local meetings at the trail by entrance: Sundays 11 AM and Wednesdays 6 PM.

Next Board of Supervisor Meeting: Mon 11/18 at 8:30 (575 Administration Drive, SR, room 102A

I can organize donation pick up, please text me at 707-334-3490.”
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barbara Harris: View Post
    I have written to 5th District Supervisor Lynda Hopkins twice in the past 6 weeks, requesting her involvement and resources to secure public toilets and trash cans within the homeless encampment alongside Highway 12. As yet, unfortunately, there has been no response from her office. ...
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #32
    RochelleR

Thanks Marie!! Yes if anyone would like to join our group to help come together and organize help with no judgment or negativity please feel free! It really has become such a great group of compassionate people!

Facebook Group: Sonoma County Acts of Kindness - Click to join!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by DivineLightBeing: View Post
    Thanks for your input Barbara, ...

A new Facebook page has been started last Sunday by Rochelle called “Sonoma County Acts of Kindness”.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-15-2019 at 11:11 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #33
    pamelaL

Re: Homeless encampments along the Joe Rodota Trail

There is a large property along I believe, Ludwig road that has a chain-link fence around it. does anyone know who owns it? Someone told me once that the Feds were going to put an airport there or something like that, but it is a large, flat area with this security fence around it. I do not know anything more about it other than it seems curious to have such a fence around such a large area where there is nothing but a field and a couple of trees.

6. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

7. TopTop #34
    pamelaL

I also noted for two recent cold nights, smoke from campfires from under those tinder dry trees...

8. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

9. TopTop #35
    RochelleR

Hi! They also have meetings at the trail. There’s one this Sunday at 11 am. A rep from the homeless action group will be there. Adrienne cannot make it that day but someone will be there and I will be live streaming it on My fb page Rochelle Roberts and on our group page. Please keep in mind if you want to join our group it for folks that want to help with no judgment or negativity. I found we needed a safe place to do so because some people get very angry about people helping them. Here’s the link if anyone would like it
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/4055...480/?ref=share Thanks!

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #36
    Barbara Harris

Thank you for your thoughtful response and support.
    The list of items that are needed is very helpful and can be easily circulated in asking for specific assistance.
    As are the resources on-site as well as within the community.
    Thanks for your input Barbara, this is what I just wrote on the Homeless encampment along the Joe Rodota Trail thread..........
    Last edited by Barry; 11-17-2019 at 10:39 AM.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #37
    Sawmill

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pamelaL: View Post
    There is a large property along I believe, Ludwig road that has a chain-link fence around it. does anyone know who owns it? ...
    I remember being told it is an old National Guard airfield.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-17-2019 at 10:39 AM.

14. TopTop #38
    Stiles

I remember there being some old army barracks out there off of Wright Rd.
    The entire area closed off with barbed wire fence.....maybe there was once, or meant to be, a small airport there.
    Also a bomb shelter.
    Cold War era stuff.
    Probably asbestos and lead laden.
    If the feds would only use vacant lands like this to build housing for our homeless !
    Not saying to put them in the toxic barracks though.
    And let's get these people therapy and drug treatment, already !
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by pamelaL: View Post
    There is a large property along I believe, Ludwig road that has a chain-link fence around it. does anyone know who owns it?
    Last edited by Barry; 11-17-2019 at 10:40 AM.

15. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

16. TopTop #39
    Dustyg

yes, there was an airport there and if I remember it was an old army post.

17. TopTop #40
    Cynthia Poten

Is the area you're talking about 3840 Finley Avenue? If so, Barracks 33 is privately owned by Julian Billote. who renovated the building and is renting out several art studio spaces there. I don't know if he owns the rest of the property. The barracks across the way from him has also been renovated and is being used by artists.

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #41
    Meinvelt

Thanks for your input Barbara, this is what I just wrote on the Homeless encampment along the Joe Rodota Trail thread...........
    This all sounds wonderful, any suggestions for the substance abuse component? Approximately %95 of the homeless people I've encountered have meth and alcohol related issues. Often enough they are receiving an income from the government (SSI, Social Security) however are choosing to use the money to buy drugs...I'm not kidding. They're not interested in renting a room or getting treatment.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-17-2019 at 08:32 PM.

20. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

21. TopTop #42
    Stiles

Yes, it's upsetting how drugs can hijack a person's entire being.
    It breaks my heart !
    How to subvert the power of these substances ?????

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Meinvelt: View Post
    This all sounds wonderful, any suggestions for the substance abuse component? ....

22. TopTop #43
    Stiles

I believe you're right about Finley Ave. I remember looking into living there in the 90s and decided no. OK, so then what's on Ludvig (the street someone else indicated) ? Perhaps more of the same.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Cynthia Poten: View Post
    Is the area you're talking about 3840 Finley Avenue? If so, Barracks 33 is privately owned by Julian Billote. who renovated the building and is renting out several art studio spaces there. I don't know if he owns the rest of the property. The barracks across the way from him has also been renovated and is being used by artists.

23. TopTop #44
    Thad

Vocational Academy with a campground and a Nightclub, no kidding, A very loose woven makers space that develops a community garage club. Simple as that.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Stiles: View Post
    It breaks my heart !

24. TopTop #45
    patnicholson
    Supporting Member

The "Finley" property has several bldgs w/different owners. One owner has a property which has a radio station, I think, which was made available for a homeless encampment. The state made almost $.5 mil. for the creation of a camp, I think, with the goal of allowing the bike path, and other homeless, shelter for the winter, at least.

The property owner, kbbk( I think) reneged on their offer, I don't know why. This leaves 7weeks to find a replacement site or the available money goes away

The grant to find, create and monitor the "campsite " was given to the Homeless Action! group. They are
    actively looking for a replacement.

Adrienne Lauby is a co-founder. [email protected]. If that email is wrong, I'll provide another one that works, maybe another Wacco-ite can provide additional contact info for the group
    Last edited by Barry; 11-18-2019 at 09:51 PM.

25. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

26. TopTop #46
    Dustyg

Radio Station was, for years, KBBF....probably still is...
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by patnicholson: View Post
    ...The property owner, kbbk( I think) reneged on their offer, I don't know why. ...

27. Gratitude expressed by:

28. TopTop #47
    BEE KIND

I have known some substance abusers in the past, most of them are no longer alive. In my experience, no one else can help them until they decide to do it themselves. Giving them money or anything they can sell, will only enable their bad habits. They will steal from their own family and friends. Sorry to say that, but it’s the truth. They will not stop until they are forced to.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Stiles: View Post
    It breaks my heart !

29. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

30. TopTop #48
    nicofrog

I live a marginal lifestyle(below tax rate income worker /artist) and have all my life
    I am homeless (homefree)but have many good friends who happily house me .Lucky I am ,blessed ,and a bit crazy.

I care deeply for the home-free situation please keep in mind for many years there were more home free people world wide than those with houses .and in a way the MOST homeless people are renters ,homeless and moneyless!

That being said .I just want to take a calming effect on the rhetoric here.
    I saw the camp,so I got on my bike in my bike dude duds with helmet and all and took about an hour to amble along ,do a little pick up of trash,and meet homeless folks along the trail
    Everyone was nice and polite, courteous and respectful .
    It was not too messy . and I enjoyed a beautiful day (the smoke was a bit thick second day of the fire ) no one had evacuated from that area .
    Most of Roseland was business as usual.
    I think too much money has been spent on studies ,etc and not enough on actually caring for people.

TINY HOUSES should be distinguished from TINY SHELTERS .Tiny houses as we know them Locally are on WHEELS requiring a strong and fairly expensive trailer as foundation .requiring a relationship with DMV ,and LAND to hook up on and are as illegal as any other house trailer in Sonoma county accept on agricultural zoned land with real septic hook up . all this adds up$.

a tiny shelter can be part of a complex of same must be insignificantly small 10 by 12? and being considered temporary can possibly slip under building code restrictions or city or county can make exceptions
    unfortunately this is where you run into huge politics "not in MY back yard "syndrome . and landowners protecting property rights . An ugly mess. In santa rosa the ONY place acceptable for a person with no home in on the side walk ,WITHOUT a tent (not blocking the sidewalk) in the bushes no no no , in a car no no no and you can get dead . on a mattress NO.
    there are approximately 20 to 30 LARGE business buildings on Santa Rosa Ave alone that have been sitting EMPTY for 15 years .some have realty signs on them I have called those realtors they NEVER return the call.
    what are these TAX write-offs? equipped with porta potties and running water they could home the homeless in about 1 week
    In Spain there is a rule if you own a building and do not use it someone else can just move in and use it as long as the keep it in as good or better condition than they find it !

a simple LAW like that could revolutionise this near Ghost town atmosphere on S. Santa Rosa ave .

there are a bunch of HUGE emptys in the industrial park area in s, Roseland. ?? why what are they for?gaint new expensive cement monoliths . Ghost town.

what kind of humans are we anyway?how does this make sense .what gives PRIVATE property owners so much power over the stewardship of these un-commens and why?
    count up the EMPTY dairy barns on wineries in Sonoma and Mendocino county! hundreds (wineries buy old dairy farms ,wineries do not NEED these old buildings ,so they sit there unused ,NO you cant use or rent them that's a LIABILITY ! my favorite word! the ability to LIE to whoever you want if you can afford it!
    see the problem with us home-less folks is summed up neatly in repuglican rhetoric ,we are LOSERS!

So I donate tents sleeping bags clothing luggage carts wagons food toiletries etc to the centers ...

there needs to be a publicly sanctioned village with composting waste system COB STRAWBALE tiny shelters with tin roofs (fire proof )
    (Tarps and tents wear out in one or two seasons and distribute plastic pollution) supplied with recology green grey and blue cans . Can we do that? needs to be close enough to a post office and a 7-11 .

I know one homeless guy Named Mark who manages an extra large and LEGAL shopping cart full of TOOLS ,he cleans and tidys and gardens wherever he goes ,and will come and do your yard if you live close to Roseland !! just contact me and I'll let him know ,(no charge,but if you want to give him a sandwich of a few bucks he'll bless you ,and I guarantee ,his blessing are real and genuine .)

solar charging stations would be a popular gift!

Nico

31. TopTop #49
    Meinvelt

Interesting, you didn't come across any meth addicts? At least 95% of the homeless I've encountered are meth fans. Perhaps we have two different realities.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by nicofrog: View Post
    I live a marginal lifestyle...
    Last edited by Barry; 11-19-2019 at 09:39 PM.

32. TopTop #50
    DivineLightBeing

I have taken care of a 55 yrs old who was gang raped at 12 yrs old for 8 yrs in my own home because she was “walking on walls” in a psychiatric facility. These people have live through trauma you would not believe. It is time to stop labeling them and treating them like animals or less than because they hurt inside. FYI, even if my client’s father was able to pay for the boarding care and she went to so many counseling meetings etc.... basically all she had to fall back on is prescribed drugs (psych drugs that turned her into a zombie).... that doesn’t stop the self hate and the “addiction personality” or desire to numb the pain with anything she could put her hand on. What these people need FIRST AND FOREMOST is a SAFE place where they can live and cope to the best of their ability. Healing deep sited trauma is not done over night and usually not successfully addressed by the system who wants quick fixes. I believe in the power of the Tribe, a well supported one, in order to release what needs to be transmuted.

This all sounds wonderful, any suggestions for the substance abuse component? ... They're not interested in renting a room or getting treatment.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-20-2019 at 01:06 PM.

33. TopTop #51
    DivineLightBeing

This FB page has grown from 300 to 750 in about less than 10 days I believe. Lots of people want to be involved and feel totally outraged. Let’s milk that to find a workable solution. Homeless Action (check Gregory Fearon www.sonomavillages.org) had the hope to use the old KBBF radio station location to build lots of tiny homes with the allocated $450,000 possible fund if proposal approved. Well I think there is a $100,000 litigation connected to KBBF making this site not usable—a huge step back for Homeless Action as I understand it. Now they have less than 2 months to come up with another location otherwise these funds may disappear.

Who has either the funds to unlock this deadlock or has the land that can be used for the purpose of providing a safe place for these homeless people to take their power back and rebuild their lives?????
    This is the question!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barbara Harris: View Post
    Thank you for your thoughtful response and support.
    The list of items that are needed is very helpful and can be easily circulated in asking for specific assistance.
    As are the resources on-site as well as within the community.

34. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

35. TopTop #52
    DivineLightBeing

This is a brilliant post and thank you for sharing. You are speaking Truth to Power! It is time to face the truth and tell it like it is. I would love to hear more about this kind of input because so far I have been blown away by how much common sense and wisdom some of these “homeless people” have.

Marianne Williamson who is running for President said at the Democratic convention: “We need to change the bottom line in this country from an economic bottom line to a humanitarian bottom line. It is time for us to stand for humanitarian values. You just don’t improve your economy to improve the state of humanity, you improve THE STATE OF HUMANITY and that will boost your economy!”

For sure, that is a fact! I just spend several hours in meetings from the Homeless action meeting on Monday at 9:30am and I sat in the Iain de Jong power point presentation at 2pm (Urgent and Emergency Community engagement - 627, 1st) where all the various organizations were represented. None of what you are sharing right here has been spoken about unfortunately. But what was shared is how much more expensive it is in the long run to deal with un-housed individuals who have no chance to get back on their feet and the dead end question, do we allocate funds for the long halt or for the short term emergency situation. (Politics)... because there are not enough funds to deal with both....

So my bottom line is this: are we going to continue putting our heads in the sand and deny the obvious truth here that we worship money over people in this country? In my country of origin (France) every municipality has a field dedicated to host one part of our society that is nomadic “the gypsies”. This field is used for their RV’s and provides bathrooms, water and whatever minimum is needed for their stay that can last from a few weeks to a few months. We do not have homeless people sleeping on the side of the street. If a property get vacated by someone who dies and doesn’t have heirs to go to, these properties are managed by the mayor and used for people who need it and can’t afford rent. It is usually a temporary situation but we do take care of individual needs and usually when people are given a brake for a few months or so, they can rebuild their lives and get back on track where they can take care of themselves.

Yes that doesn’t solve the emotional/mental/co-dependency issues associated with drugs but let’s face addiction for a second or two. Who is not? Collectively, we are addicted to ignorance and bigotry.... How do we treat and think about people who are different from us, from the color other skin to their beliefs or lifestyle or whatever. This country is considered the wealthiest of the world and look how you treat your people for God sake! Who has the money is making the decisions. If our elected representative are told “we don’t want homeless people in our neighborhoods” every effort is going to be shortcut and lead to nowhere.

So grass root organizations and unselfish people who want to make a difference ultimately will. It happened near Seattle where the homelessness was very prevalent there. I heard of a wealthy individual who bought a large hotel that was for sale and the land surrounding it. It was donated to the homeless who created a whole functional community there with the help of various organizations. People planted commune gardens and orchards... it became a hub for people to take a break and heal and live and die there in dignity. So many of this example are happening here and there. Why not in our community!

The system will not do it.... the monies that are dedicated to homelessness is not being used for what it is meant to because of so many dead locks and greed.... it is heart breaking. But you and me and anyone who believes we have the power, through unity, cooperation, good will, putting our heads and our hearts together can make all the difference.

How come Jillian and Rochelle Roberts (the milleniums) in less than a week built a community of 750 people through their Facebook page “Sonoma County Acts of Kindness” and are collecting and distributing tons of supplies and goods that people need so desperately. I heard of a 70 yrs old woman on the trail that didn’t have a blanket to sleep with.... she was collecting sweaters to hope to make one. Since my last post on WaccoBB which I wrote less than 2 weeks ago, I saw a huge difference on the trail. Someone stepped in and provided tarps, plastic sheets to protect residents belonging and flash lights etc... people are organizing food distribution.

However the distribution of water was stopped because the 5 gallon bottles didn’t come with distribution stands and therefore sanitation issues where brought up.... next the porto potty is also a political issue and needs to be accepted by authorities or they are removed almost as soon as they are put in.

Horse manure has been spread along the trail to discourage more tents being put up there.
    Threats of a “sweep” in order to evacuate everyone on the trail even if they have no place to go is in the works. This is like pouring fuel ON the fire. These people are already traumatized to the max. How can they reclaim their power if they have to deal with such survival challenges? Come on people, time to stand up and SPEAK YOUR TRUTH TO POWER!

I live a marginal lifestyle(below tax rate income worker /artist) and have all my life
    I am homeless (homefree)but have many good friends who happily house me .Lucky I am ,blessed ,and a bit crazy....
    Last edited by Barry; 11-20-2019 at 01:12 PM.

36. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

37. TopTop #53
    BEE KIND

There is an article in today’s SF Chronicle about new homeless housing and addiction treatment center on Treasure Island, where there aren’t neighbors to object. Looks like an ideal situation! I recommend reading it.

38. Gratitude expressed by:

39. TopTop #54
    Shandi

95% of the people you've "encountered" have meth and alcohol related issues. This number isn't a statistic by itself. How many people did you "encounter"? How many males/females, ages, and other vital aspects of a research type interview. What questions did you ask? Or maybe it wasn't actually research, but just showing up to show some compassion? To uncover some unapparent truths that you could share with those of us who don't know about these 95%? I'd really like to know how many people you "encountered" and for how long the encounter lasted. Did you see and smell visual signs of meth and alcohol related issues?

I think there's a high percentage of alcohol related issues in nearly 95% of the population that thrives on drinking substantial amounts of the "fine wine" this county produces. Those issues can be easily hidden behind closed doors in expensive homes. They may not do "meth", but might choose cocaine, a more acceptable drug in those circles. I've been in two homes of professionals where cocaine was available for all party attendees. In one home, there was actually a pyramid of cocaine, I'm guessing about 8" high. One of the party givers was a bank manager; the other was merely a professional gangster. Ah, but they weren't homeless drug addicts; they had homes, and expensive ones. That does make a difference doesn't it?

This all sounds wonderful, any suggestions for the substance abuse component? Approximately %95 of the homeless people I've encountered have meth and alcohol related issues. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 11-21-2019 at 11:05 AM.

40. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

41. TopTop #55
    Meinvelt

I work in a hospital, lab results tell all.....

42. TopTop #56
    RochelleR

Hi everyone. This weekend we plan a clean up on the trail and to help them get their tents off the ground with pallets to protect their belongings until they can be moved. Lots of rain next week. Any suggestions on Organizations that could help or donated supplies such as gloves, masks, rakes, protective gear? We have been putting in a lot of work down there and some help with this would be amazing. If you’d like to join our group on Facebook or reach out on here..we would love the help
    Last edited by Barry; 11-21-2019 at 11:07 AM.

43. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

44. TopTop #57
    Stargazer

The solutions exist and so do the funds.It is just a question of priorities, transparency.and forcing the hand to act. Proper attempts at actual viable solutions especially with large facilities that already exist could be better utilized for people in need. It is all a question of the priorities of the actual decision makers for Sonoma County. Sonoma Developmental Center (SDC) still sits empty in the town of Eldridge while it's future development plans may be in process. How shameful that in a wealthy area like Sonoma County where there are over $3,000 homeless people who are laying on sidewalks, living in doorways, tents or wherever they can be, how they.are not being offered helped in a realistic way. SDC is it's own town and can house and help many people with proper management. SDC can be set up to provide services of all kinds in one local area for a large number of people and there is plenty of room for expansion if needed. I wonder why no one ever mentions SDC or questions why it is not being used as a site for our large homeless population?

45. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

46. TopTop #58
    Shandi

Nico, Thank you for sharing your rational wisdom and experience. As always, you help us see things from a more compassionate place, in our consumeristic jugmental world. Keep talking; some of us are listening....

I am homeless (homefree)...

47. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

48. TopTop #59
    Shandi

Could/Would you provide some details of the lab results tests, and the statistics so we can all be well informed about those people who had those lab tests? Or if that takes too much time, how about a link so we can find the results you refer to?

I work in a hospital, lab results tell all.....

49. Gratitude expressed by:

50. TopTop #60
    RochelleR

Sorry! How do I make a Hot link?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Facebook site needs to be a hot link, please.