Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: Chick-fil-a
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Moon

Chick-fil-a

Saturday Uganda announced a bill to legalize murdering gay people. National Christian Organizatipon paid a preacher to go to Uganda and help their lawmakers with the bill.

Chick-fil-a funds National Christian Organization. If you eat at Chick-fil-a, this is what your money goes to.

OK, it's not quite Tomas de Torquemada, but it's another occasion for that well-known New Testament verse, "Jesus wept."

Besides--what's any chicken ever done to you?
    Last edited by Barry; 10-15-2019 at 03:03 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Re: Chick-fil-a

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Moon: View Post
    Saturday Uganda announced a bill to legalize murdering gay people. National Christian Organizatipon paid a preacher to go to Uganda and help their lawmakers with the bill.

Chick-fil-a funds National Christian Organization. If you eat at Chick-fil-a, this is what your money goes to....
    Well, I had to do some research on this... it seems this came from a viral facebook post....

It appears a Ugandan MP did say he intended to table a bill that would allow the death penalty for homosexual acts. BUT apparently the government issued a statement that they have no intention of person [pursuing?] the bill.

Further- it seems the mp was talking about re-tabling a bill that had passed several years ago that had further criminalized homosexuality (but had the death penalty removed before passage). This law was promptly struck down by their courts as unconstitutional.

As to the rest of the claims - yes- the charitable organization founded by the (deceased) founders of Chik-Fil-A gives lots of money to the National Christian Foundation (not organization as the post called it). And the charitable organization and the company remain closely linked- with at least a couple members of the board being top executives at the company.

I can find no evidence to support the claim that NCF "sent a preacher to help with the writing of the law", though it is true NCF gives money to numerous churches and priests in Uganda, some of whom are outspoken critics of homosexuality.

According to Newsweek NCF is one of the largest charities in the US and between 2015-2017 gave $56million to 26 groups listed as "hate groups" by the Souther Poverty Law Center

And finally, I'll simply point out that Chik-Fil-A has been involved in numerous anti LGBTQ controversies in recent years and along with Hobby Lobby have become the public face of corporate chains that are openly anti-LGBTQ . (They are also the only 2 large national chains I can think of that close all their locations on Sundays).
    Last edited by Barry; 10-16-2019 at 03:06 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

5. TopTop #3
    spam1

In addition to the comments below, if you really cared about LGBTQ in Uganda, you would be organizing a boycott of all things from Uganda, demanding companies divest in Uganda, demanding US stop all foreign aid to Uganda. But likely you don't really care, you just wanted to signal your extra virtue with a mostly false, undocumented diatribe against a place that sells chicken sandwiches. This stinks of cancel culture and intolerance. So no, I don't think if you take a picture of me eating a Chick-Fil-A sandwich, and post it to my boss, that I should be fired for openly supporting the murdering gays, as you imply.

Oh, and what is the big anti-LGBTQ thing they did? Funded groups that had the identical position to Obama and Clinton on gay marriage.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SonomaPatientsCoop: View Post
    Well, I had to do some research on this... it seems this came from a viral facebook post....

It appears a Ugandan MP did say he intended to table a bill that would allow the death penalty for homosexual acts. BUT apparently the government issued a statement that they have no intention of person [pursuing?] the bill.

Further-...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-21-2019 at 01:51 PM.

6. TopTop #4
    SonomaPatientsCoop

I wanted to update this because apparently on Monday (according to WaPo and others) , Chick-Fil-A ended funding to at least some groups that the LGBTQ community had opposed. Apparently they also changed things so their funding of non-profits is reviewed every year rather then being ongoing support as it had been in the past.

Now... I have not had time to do a deep dive into this...and I'm not quite sure they actually released enough for it to be worthwhile. But it seems there has been a lot of blowback- from conservatives who feel they capitulated. And from the (far?) left who seemed to have blown up social media to continue to condemn Chick-Fil-A.

The whole situation depresses me. It's kind of indicative of our current situation. A desire to burn down the establishment rather then nudge things in the right direction. I'll say- this is what got us Trump. And may have/maybe will get us Bernie. Or Warren. Though I personally doubt the results will be much better...

It's easy to tear down something. It's a hell of a lot harder to rebuild it from scratch.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    cyberanvil

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Moon: View Post

Chick-fil-a funds National Christian Organization. If you eat at Chick-fil-a, this is what your money goes to.

OK, it's not quite Tomas de Torquemada, but it's another occasion for that well-known New Testament verse, "Jesus wept."

Besides--what's any chicken ever done to you?
    Are you an enabler or an instigator?

Snopes admits “it's not clear to what extent National Christian Foundation-funded entities were involved in the creation or promotion of a bill to make homosexuality punishable by death.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/viral-liberal-hoax-claims-chick-fil-a-backed-a-law-to-execute-gay-people

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...-conti/506071/

9. TopTop #6
    forveterans49

I always loved their sandwiches but stopped going years ago due to their non-support of gay people. A few months back there was an article naming several fast food chains who support Trump in his 2020 bid and Chick-Fil-A was on the list. I continue in my protest against them.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SonomaPatientsCoop: View Post
    I wanted to update this because apparently on Monday (according to WaPo and others) , Chick-Fil-A ended funding to at least some groups that the LGBTQ community had opposed. Apparently they also changed things so their funding of non-profits is reviewed every year rather then being ongoing support as it had been in the past.

Now... I have not had time to do a deep dive into this...and I'm not quite sure they actually released enough for it to be worthwhile. But it seems there has been a lot of blowback- from conservatives who feel they capitulated. And from the (far?) left who seemed to have blown up social media to continue to condemn Chick-Fil-A.

The whole situation depresses me. It's kind of indicative of our current situation. A desire to burn down the establishment rather then nudge things in the right direction. I'll say- this is what got us Trump. And may have/maybe will get us Bernie. Or Warren. Though I personally doubt the results will be much better...

It's easy to tear down something. It's a hell of a lot harder to rebuild it from scratch.

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #7
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Quote Posted in reply to the post by forveterans49: View Post
    I always loved their sandwiches but stopped going years ago due to their non-support of gay people. A few months back there was an article naming several fast food chains who support Trump in his 2020 bid and Chick-Fil-A was on the list. I continue in my protest against them.
    Fair enough. I've never eaten at Chick-Fil-A , and personally I oppose fast food restaurants on social, labor, environmental...etc... issues in general...

I think my point was broader. We are becoming a society (cancel-culture is a buzzword that comes to mind though doesn't adequately describe it) where we are in danger of loosing the ability to move things in the right direction. Where, when companies, corporations, governments, etc move in the right direction because of protest... they are not supported by the protesters AND loose support on the opposite side.

In this case... I think Chick-Fil-A deserves some thanks...and a message they need to go farther and people will be watching. But from what I've seen- the reaction has been so negative and arrogant... I don't know that they will ever bother moving in the right direction.

12. Gratitude expressed by: