Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    infojockey

And you think global warming is a threat #2

'This one did sneak up on us': Internal NASA emails reveal how it almost 'missed' a football-field-sized asteroid so big it could have destroyed a CITY when it whizzed past Earth in July

• Scientists announced the asteroid discovery just hours before its close approach
    • Asteroid 2019 OK was about 100 metres wide and came within 70,000 km of Earth
    • At its closest approach in July, it was closer to Earth than the moon
    • Experts say impact from object of this size would be enough to 'devastate a city'
    By Sam Blanchard For Mailonline
    Published: 06:59 EDT, 20 September 2019 | Updated: 11:18 EDT, 20 September 2019

An asteroid which had a 'close pass' with Earth in July was not picked up by NASA until the agency was told about it just hours before it swept past.

Internal emails have revealed the US space agency was caught by surprise by the asteroid named '2019 OK'.
    It passed about 40,400 miles away from Earth – only 16 per cent of the way to the moon – and was the largest rock to have done so in almost 100 years.

Emails obtained by Buzzfeed News through Freedom of Information revealed one NASA staffer telling colleagues the asteroid had 'slipped through the net'.

Travelling at 55,000mph and measuring 426 feet by 187ft (57m x 130m), NASA only realised 2019 OK was coming 24 hours before it passed.

The asteroid was given its name based on the date it was spotted – the year 2019 and O corresponds to the second half of July while K denotes it was the 10th discovery in the O period.
    +4

The 2019 OK asteroid was only noticed 24 hours before passing Earth at a distance of about 40,000 miles, travelling at 55,000 miles per hour (stock image)

Buzzfeed revealed internal emails from the space agency which saw staff there giving one another the heads up that they might be asked about it.

Continues here
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Star Man

Re: And you think global warming is a threat #2

In this dialogue a spiritual man has come to sit with a redwood tree he has spent time with over many years.

“Hello, old friend.”
    Hi Paul. It's good to see you again.
    “It might be the last time old friend. It's been so hot for so long. Water's drying up. There's fire all around the world.”
    I know. We know. I don't think I'll be alive to greet you in a few months.
    “I've come to sing praise for you, old friend. I have treasured all the times we have sat together in prayer. I remember the first time. I was a lot younger then and not as aware as I have become. I was just tromping by and I got this thought. You wanted to speak to me.”
    I know that well. I send a message to everyone who walks by. Very few are open enough, aware enough to receive it. I'm glad you did.
    “It was the beginning of a major transformation for me. People used to talk about tree huggers. I thought if anyone saw me I'd feel embarrassed. But I came over and just listened.”
    You did. You felt into me. You connected with my story. I've been here on this spot for fifteen hundred years or so. You felt my roots. My heartwood. My branches way up there. You cared.
    “I did. I gave you a name. It's what I think of when I think of coming to sit with you. Want to hear it.”
    Sure.
    “Roh-pahn-oh. The soft a in the center feels like your great, soft heart. I know you are a softy. You love very deeply.”
    Redwoods don't cry, but I believe you know I am tearing up because you are seeing me.
    “I've come to say good-bye, Roh-pahn-oh. I've come to celebrate your millennium and a half here on this hillside. Bless your strength Roh. Bless your perseverance. You made it. That fire that swept through here five hundred years ago. You survived. You gave those bears something to scratch their backs against. You oversaw clouds, rain, winds. You blessed your children that grew up from seeds you sent out. You held birds and squirrels. You worshipped sunrises and full moons. You marked the passage of time. Roh, you embodied majesty. All that is coming to an end.”
    Thank you, Paul. Put your hand on my flank and let me sing to you.

Paul sits with his hand on the enormous redwood's rough-barked trunk. He feels a rumbling image of massiveness. Time swirls. He feels the redwood's witness to the beauty of the forest. Images of birds, beetles, bees swirl by. He knows in his heart the death song of his friend Roh the redwood; feels it pulsing through his body. A great being is preparing to die. Honoring with his death song all the life that has moved through his woods. A soughing as of a thousand years of wind passing through Roh's branches rises and falls, rises and falls, then becomes silent.
    “Here is my song for you, Roh, my dear old friend. This is the song we sing in my spiritual practice to invoke Eagle who will carry a soul up into Mystery. And Paul sang clear and strong: Toh sho koh nay. Toh-oh sho koh nay. Toh sho koh nay-ay ah. Yah hey yah hey-eh yah hey.”

And the song lifted up. The melody wreathed around Roh's massive trunk and up into the branches high above. Birds chattered and fell silent. Moss and trilliums turned their attention to the song. A great stillness fell upon the hillside. A deer raised its head. A bear paused. All the world wide the vast community of beings joined in the requiem for one of their great leaders. All knew that with redwood going they would follow soon. All sang: Toh sho koh nay. Toh-oh sho koh nay. Toh sho koh nay-ay ah. Yah hey yah hey-eh yah hey.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email