Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #211
    occihoff

Re: Discussions with Trump supporters

Cyberanvil, you have such a gift for saying so little and riling up responders to write so much!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #212
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by cyberanvil: View Post
    .... yet, the State wants federal handouts. What's up with that?....
    the state wants some of the money it's contributed to the national pool to be spent back here where most of it comes from. It's kinda like if you and a couple of buddies bought the pizza for the whole group and were looked at funny when you ate a slice.

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #213
    cyberanvil

Quote Posted in reply to the post by occihoff: View Post
    Cyberanvil, you have such a gift for saying so little and riling up responders to write so much!
    You seem to be one who would likes a discussion, an exchange of ideas. A noble endeavor. However, due to the intransigence of certain people this is impossible in most cases. Still, to point out flaws is not ignoble. Responses are illuminating.

6. TopTop #214
    cyberanvil

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Mayacaman: View Post
    cyberanvil cited two links:

I opened up these links and read the articles, cyberanvil. I can't tell you that the contents of those articles leaves me with any confidence that the current POTUS either understands the gravity of the problem or the length and depth of it. For he says:
    Does Ben Carson clear up your qualms?

https://video.foxnews.com/v/60888694...#sp=show-clips

7. TopTop #215
    cyberanvil

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    the state wants some of the money it's contributed to the national pool to be spent back here where most of it comes from. It's kinda like if you and a couple of buddies bought the pizza for the whole group and were looked at funny when you ate a slice.
    So would the Feds wanting some Bullet Train money back be similar?

8. TopTop #216
    Mayacaman

Jefferson Donley, aka, "cyberanvil" wrote:
    Does Ben Carson clear up your qualms?

https://video.foxnews.com/v/60888694...#sp=show-clips
    Secretary Carson sounds good, Jefferson - But where are these "clean places" where they intend to put the homeless? - In 'clean' FEMA Camps? I'll suspend judgement on what he is saying now - to FOX News - until we see the results.

Obviously the city governments can not deal with the crisis on their own. It is a social crisis; not solely a civic one. And the Crisis is certainly not peculiar to "sanctuary cities" run by "liberals" - as Donald Trump has implied.

As I have suggested, above, "Land Reform" is in order - the severing from the timber corporations of some of the lands that they obtained by Fraud, in violation of the Homestead Act. "New towns" must be built, in which those folks who are currently on the streets may obtain permanent housing.

I agree with Doctor Ben Carson,
    Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, that "the need is overwhelming, and that in a country like ours with so many resources and with so much wealth, it really is abominable." Spot on. This is a rich country, and these things should not be.

But I disagree, strenuously, that it is not the responsibility of the Federal government, and that "these are local problems." Let this Administration put their money where the mouth is, if as they say, they want to fix it, with permanent solutions. That's my position, Jefferson. How do you like them apples? Care to comment on my several points?

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #217
    podfish

But I disagree, strenuously, that it is not the responsibility of the Federal government, and that "these are local problems."
    sure, let's assume the problem is to be solved locally. The right is quick to say, "can't solve the world's problems -- all the poor people will flood in here!". So turn it around. The solution they propose is to pick and choose who they care about -- which is usually an exclusive bunch, who somehow, in ways beyond their ken, always seem to look a lot like them and share their values -- and put up barriers to keep everyone who doesn't fit their criteria away. And we've seen what lengths they're willing to go to, and how easily they abdicate any responsibility. It's always someone else's fault -- though they forget that even if that's true, responsibility isn't located at a single point.

Responsibility is like gravity. Big objects have a lot. Every object has some. There's no end to it, either - theoretically a little bit of earth's gravity spreads out across the whole universe, though the effects are much stronger when you're close. To things that are very close by, small objects can have very noticeable effects, but they can easily be overwhelmed by the impact of the massive objects nearby.

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #218
    cyberanvil

Secretary Carson sounds good, Jefferson - But where are these "clean places" where they intend to put the homeless? - In 'clean' FEMA Camps? I'll suspend judgement on what he is saying now - to FOX News - until we see the results.

Obviously the city governments can not deal with the crisis on their own. It is a social crisis; not solely a civic one. And the Crisis is certainly not peculiar to "sanctuary cities" run by "liberals" - as Donald Trump has implied.

As I have suggested, above, "Land Reform" is in order - the severing from the timber corporations of some of the lands that they obtained by Fraud, in violation of the Homestead Act. "New towns" must be built, in which those folks who are currently on the streets may obtain permanent housing.

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, that "the need is overwhelming, and that in a country like ours with so many resources and with so much wealth, it really is abominable." Spot on. This is a rich country, and these things should not be.

But I disagree, strenuously, that it is not the responsibility of the Federal government, and that "these are local problems." Let this Administration put their money where the mouth is, if as they say, they want to fix it, with permanent solutions. That's my position, Jefferson. How do you like them apples? Care to comment on my several points?
    Nice to hear your view point. It's obvious that you hear, but do not see.

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #219
    eddierosenthal
    Supporting Member

human beings deserve a place to have shelter, no matter their degrees of mental health or economic tier. So it seems to me it is everyone's benefit for all to share in the responsibility. Didn't the federal government originally create a mental health system, and wasn't it the federal government that abrogated it? ( carter, reagan). Didn't HUD just this year plan to cut 20% for housing? ( Carson?). Cutting housing runs up prices, so hence more homeless. I've advocated since it came to my attention the tiny home concept. Cuts to mental health probably adds to the issues of homelessness.

I think there are special areas around Santa Rosa that could commit to the homeless include the fairgrounds, where buildings already exist. It seems to me there would be plenty of crafty people who would volunteer their skills and time if there were leadership and guidelines to accomplish it.

Blaming government, leaders is shunning our own responsibilities. Would there be any leaders here? Is it only greed and landowners that stands in the way? Is it not in my neighborhood political status quo that stands as obstacles to end homelessness? I am positive this is something that all of us who are concerned could do and say things that would lead to some thing that is beyond criticism.

What concepts and ideas do you have that could end homeless now? It seems to me a venture fund with its goal of collecting the monies for a township enterprise could do something, and perhaps alleviate risk by setting monetary goals for those who used the project and paid back something? I am thinking of people who used such a project and got jobs and so forth...Funding for such from the feds could not be refused either. Neither a sales tax to increase the fund.

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

16. TopTop #220
    Mayacaman

Quote Mayacaman wrote:
    Jefferson Donley, aka "cyberanvil" wrote:
    Quote Nice to hear your view point. It's obvious that you hear, but do not see.

"occihoff" aka Dr. Richard Hoff, wrote:
    Quote Cyberanvil, you have such a gift for saying so little and riling up responders to write so much!

Please elaborate on exactly what it is that I do not see, Jefferson. Your cryptic sayings are sometimes a bit obscure.

17. TopTop #221
    Mayacaman

eddierosenthal wrote:
    Quote human beings deserve a place to have shelter, no matter their degrees of mental health or economic tier. So it seems to me it is everyone's benefit for all to share in the responsibility. Didn't the federal government originally create a mental health system, and wasn't it the federal government that abrogated it? ( carter, reagan). Didn't HUD just this year plan to cut 20% for housing? ( Carson?). Cutting housing runs up prices, so hence more homeless. I've advocated since it came to my attention the tiny home concept. Cuts to mental health probably adds to the issues of homelessness.

I think there are special areas around Santa Rosa that could commit to the homeless include the fairgrounds, where buildings already exist. It seems to me there would be plenty of crafty people who would volunteer their skills and time if there were leadership and guidelines to accomplish it.

Blaming government, leaders is shunning our own responsibilities. Would there be any leaders here? Is it only greed and landowners that stands in the way? Is it not in my neighborhood political status quo that stands as obstacles to end homelessness? I am positive this is something that all of us who are concerned could do and say things that would lead to some thing that is beyond criticism.

What concepts and ideas do you have that could end homeless now? It seems to me a venture fund with its goal of collecting the monies for a township enterprise could do something, and perhaps alleviate risk by setting monetary goals for those who used the project and paid back something? I am thinking of people who used such a project and got jobs and so forth...Funding for such from the feds could not be refused either. Neither a sales tax to increase the fund.
    I totally agree, with you, Ed, that "blaming government, leaders is shunning our own responsibilities. Would there be any leaders here? Is it only greed and landowners that stands in the way? Is it not in my neighborhood political status quo that stands as obstacles to end homelessness? I am positive this is something that all of us who are concerned could do and say things that would lead to some thing that is beyond criticism."

My best suggestion for the long-term solution is simply to re-institute the Homestead Act, and for a progressive coalition of lawyers {retired progressives would be appropriate} to go to work on the points of leverage to take on the issue of wresting lands away from the timber corporations who stole the Lands from the "Public Domain" in the first place. There are hundreds of thousands of acres of such lands throughout the Pacific Northwest that would be appropriate places for new townships.

Stephen Puter's seminal book, "Looters of the Public Domain" tells the story in all the grimy details. That account, +Plus+ the legal fact that there is no statute of limitations on Fraud, seem to be the two salient points of legal leverage. From talks with homeless advocates in Sonoma County, in decades past, I gather that one of the main obstacles to a permanent solution in Sonoma County has been the nimby factor - the chorus of "not in my backyard" property-owners. This will continue to be an obstacle, no doubt.

That is one reason why I advocate the humane solution of tiny houses in intentional, monitored communities in the near-wilderness of former timber-lands. The Timber Corporations have looted the forests long enough. - Five, six, seven generations of trees? They already got their moneys' worth out of their theft.

18. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

19. TopTop #222
    eddierosenthal
    Supporting Member

We are then talking decades of legal obstacles, with no local incentive to get action on what is RIGHT NOW an aggravation for everyone. And shedding responsibility and handing it over to legal authorities is another in a pattern of inaction for taking responsibility OURSELVES. I personally would not take delight in that as the only course of action, but only as a secondary course. Fight the big corporations certainly has its appeal, like fighting PG&E or Chase, they have plenty of lawyers to recruit. It makes more sense ( at least to end the frustration and to feel like something will get done) to get funding for some sort of non profit that would buy and build on the current turf for the immediate interest of the homeless and the community. When i said "township" i did not mean to set off those neurons firing about timber and the homestead act, but to implicity mean Santa Rosa and its surrounds.

eddierosenthal wrote:

I totally agree, with you, Ed, that "blaming government, leaders is shunning our own responsibilities. Would there be any leaders here? Is it only greed and landowners that stands in the way? Is it not in my neighborhood political status quo that stands as obstacles to end homelessness? I am positive this is something that all of us who are concerned could do and say things that would lead to some thing that is beyond criticism."

My best suggestion for the long-term solution is simply to re-institute the Homestead Act, and for a progressive coalition of lawyers {retired progressives would be appropriate} to go to work on the points of leverage to take on the issue of wresting lands away from the timber corporations who stole the Lands from the "Public Domain" in the first place. There are hundreds of thousands of acres of such lands throughout the Pacific Northwest that would be appropriate places for new townships.

Stephen Puter's seminal book, "Looters of the Public Domain" tells the story in all the grimy details. That account, +Plus+ the legal fact that there is no statute of limitations on Fraud, seem to be the two salient points of legal leverage. From talks with homeless advocates in Sonoma County, in decades past, I gather that one of the main obstacles to a permanent solution in Sonoma County has been the nimby factor - the chorus of "not in my backyard" property-owners. This will continue to be an obstacle, no doubt.

That is one reason why I advocate the humane solution of tiny houses in intentional, monitored communities in the near-wilderness of former timber-lands. The Timber Corporations have looted the forests long enough. - Five, six, seven generations of trees? They already got their moneys' worth out of their theft.

20. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

21. TopTop #223
    podfish

....My best suggestion for the long-term solution is simply to re-institute the Homestead Act, and for a progressive coalition of lawyers {retired progressives would be appropriate} to go to work on the points of leverage to take on the issue of wresting lands away from the timber corporations....
    that's got the germ of a great idea in it. I'm not sold on the idea that most homeless people would be happy with brand-new homogeneous communities of people in similar situations. I also think there's a huge range of levels of initiative and enterprise in the homeless population. People without means have huge barriers to accomplishing anything; for example, lack of a car can prevent you from holding a job.

We're generally accepting of the idea that public funds go to supporting the homeless, and many of us would be interested in committing even more if it was effective. Also, it's better if it's in the form of investment rather than subsistence payments. How about if we modify the Homestead Act to support conversion of underutilized land for housing and small businesses? I'm not opposed to a little punitive repossession either. So property that's in city limits but isn't used beneficially (yea, big brother gets to decide..) can be acquired by eminent domain and converted to housing, services for those who need it, and incubators for small, possibly unprofitable but valuable, businesses. This horrifies those who think "if you can pay for it, you get to do it - if you own it, no-one can ever take it away". But sadly for them, I and many others don't find Ayn has any real monopoly on god's ethical plan.

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #224
    Mayacaman

eddierosenthal wrote:
    Quote ...Fight the big corporations certainly has its appeal, like fighting PG&E or Chase, they have plenty of lawyers to recruit. It makes more sense ( at least to end the frustration and to feel like something will get done) to get funding for some sort of non profit that would buy and build on the current turf for the immediate interest of the homeless and the community. When i said "township" i did not mean to set off those neurons firing about timber and the homestead act, but to implicity mean Santa Rosa and its surrounds.
    In theory, I agree with you totally, Ed - it should happen here, in our County. Just as, years ago, Willie Brown and the other Democrat mayors in San Francisco should have allowed the old Armory Building in the Mission District to be converted into a hotel for the homeless. It could have been done. But there will always be those in the neighborhood who will stand up at the Board of Supes & the City Council Meetings to protest, "Not in my backyard..."

If you can find a piece of ground in the environs of Sonoma County where small houses can be built for the homeless, I'm all for it. -But experience militates against that likely-hood, unfortunately. There are tens of thousands of acres in Mendocino County however, that were obtained by the timber corporations in violation of the Homestead Act, that would do very well for the purposes under consideration.

I think that the progressives should move on this one, without waiting for Trump &/Or the Feds to do anything. -Because you are correct, Ed : "...shedding responsibility and handing it over to legal authorities is another in a pattern of inaction for taking responsibility OURSELVES. I personally would not take delight in that as the only course of action, but only as a secondary course...."

Pushing from below is the proper course on this one. So the question then becomes: "Where are the idealist lawyers of yesteryear" ?

Build the proper Homeless Coalition with a Radical Agenda, & the World will Beat a Path to your Door

Last edited by Mayacaman; 09-26-2019 at 08:35 AM.

24. TopTop #225
    eddierosenthal
    Supporting Member

even if there were places out of the city in a pleasant area, where you could build thinking that the homeless would go there willingly there would be no infrastructure for them, no hubbub. It would be really like dropping an alien into the world, too confusing for them. Its going to take plenty of compassion and thoughtfulness, and those nimby ites need to be shouted down then. They need to be shamed, afraid to say. The old offices on chanate, which used to house offices for mental health could be used. For c* sake, even the bird sanctuary came up with enough funding to stay and build, even a bigger place then they had. County property is out there. Greed is everywhere.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-25-2019 at 12:28 PM.

25. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

26. TopTop #226
    Mayacaman

I think we've stumbled on to a Subject - the Crisis of Homelessness - that has got traction - and deserves its own thread. It is a Subject whose time has come - indeed, it is past time. Since many of us feel passionately about the Issue of Homelessness, and seek Answers and Solutions, I move that we move this conversation over to a New Thread, since it is peripheral to the original conversation that was started by Ken Burgess, "Discussions with Trump Supporters." Thank you, cyberanvil, for bringing up this topic in the general discussion.

So saying, I have Initiated the Thread, "Open Committee Toward Solutions On the Homeless Crisis." If that sounds portentous, I apologize. I would like to see it become an Open Air Talk Shop on the Homeless Crisis - where concerned Citizens can offer Solutions on how to build Permanent Communities for the Homeless - and also Where, locally, the Homeless may be satisfactorily housed, in the Present.

cyberanvil wrote:
    Quote Sebastopol, so self righteous, so pure. Don't you realise you live in a glass house? Sebastopol, heal thy self.

He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.”

Neighbors revolt over homeless camping in residential areas
    Quote Mayacaman wrote:
    ...My best suggestion for the long-term solution is simply to re-institute the Homestead Act, and for a progressive coalition of lawyers {retired progressives would be appropriate} to go to work on the points of leverage to take on the issue of wresting lands away from the timber corporations....
    podfish wrote:
    Quote that's got the germ of a great idea in it. I'm not sold on the idea that most homeless people would be happy with brand-new homogeneous communities of people in similar situations. I also think there's a huge range of levels of initiative and enterprise in the homeless population. People without means have huge barriers to accomplishing anything; for example, lack of a car can prevent you from holding a job.

We're generally accepting of the idea that public funds go to supporting the homeless, and many of us would be interested in committing even more if it was effective. Also, it's better if it's in the form of investment rather than subsistence payments. How about if we modify the Homestead Act to support conversion of underutilized land for housing and small businesses? I'm not opposed to a little punitive repossession either. So property that's in city limits but isn't used beneficially (yea, big brother gets to decide..) can be acquired by eminent domain and converted to housing, services for those who need it, and incubators for small, possibly unprofitable but valuable, businesses.
    eddierosenthal wrote:
    Quote even if there were places out of the city in a pleasant area, where you could build thinking that the homeless would go there willingly there would be no infrastructure for them, no hubbub. It would be really like dropping an alien into the world, too confusing for them. Its going to take plenty of compassion and thoughtfulness, and those nimby ites need to be shouted down then. They need to be shamed, afraid to say. The old offices on chanate, which used to house offices for mental health could be used. For c* sake, even the bird sanctuary came up with enough funding to stay and build, even a bigger place then they had. County property is out there. Greed is everywhere.

27. Gratitude expressed by:

28. TopTop #227
    cyberanvil

Please elaborate on exactly what it is that I do not see, Jefferson. Your cryptic sayings are sometimes a bit obscure.
    Nothing is wholly obvious without becoming enigmatic. Reality itself is too obvious to be true
    Enigmatic

Introspection is fueled by the Enigmatic.

Does that help you Mark?

29. TopTop #228
    Mayacaman

Quote Nothing is wholly obvious without becoming enigmatic. Reality itself is too obvious to be true
    Enigmatic

Introspection is fueled by the Enigmatic.

Does that help you Mark?
    Nope. Too enigmatic.

30. Gratitude expressed by:

31. TopTop #229
    Mayacaman

Hey You - My Liberal, Democrat Party Friends, who think, that by selecting some new Democrat to run for President to defeat Donald Trump, you will make things right...

Just consider that the following Speech was made in 2010, in Front of the White House, at a time when the "Democrat" Obama was the President:

https://www.facebook.com/SoapboxStand/videos/2194948560617172/?v=2194948560617172

At that time, the U.S. Government was spending over Seven hundred (700) million dollars every day on the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan - the Wars that had been started by W, and that Obama had promised to End...

Did Obama ever consider that he could have ended Homelessness in America with that sort of expenditure?

The man who made this speech was arrested immediately afterwards.

Donald Trump, also ran & was elected on the promise to " End New World Order Wars" - Yet, so far, he has vetoed two bi-partisan bills that were passed by both the House and the Senate to de-fund the sale of Arms to Saudi Arabia in their ongoing, barbaric & bloody War against the Rebels in Yemen. So far, he has not bombed Iran. Let us give thanks for that.

Get a clue, kids : The two major Parties in Amerika are the Two wings of the Same Bird of Prey.

&, As Randolph Bourne wrote, long ago, "War is the Health of the State."

32. Gratitude expressed by:

33. TopTop #230
    eddierosenthal
    Supporting Member

i tend to agree. but what, after listening to the inspiring speech from Mike Prysner, or reading the very articulate and inspiring articles at the fb PSL site ( Party for Socialism and LIberation) what can we do? Do you think, like i do, that Intellectualism is dead here in amerika?; reading Aleksandr Solzhenitsym doesn't produce freedom, Tom Cruise speech in Born on the Fourth of July didn't end war. Joining a nudist colony doesn't produce real change. Meditating doesn't produce reality for the meditator usually as well. But yes revolution of the interior of our consciousness, or the activity of the one, such as one like Greta Thunbert, can capture us. Perhaps. There would have to be a generational change, one that defies the traditional military industrial complex to lead us away from that bipartisan culture, to allow for a real change. We likely will not see it, and perhaps if the planet survives there will be human survivors after that apocalyptic end time... As for reality or what is , that thread of thought, of your perception of it, deserves to be examined by the SELF, as we all seem to be living in our OWN. "We are domesticated animals, revolving in a cage which we have built for ourselves - with its contentions, wranglings, its impossible political leaders, its gurus who exploit our self-conceit and their own with great refinement or rather crudely." - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Hey You - My Liberal, Democrat Party Friends, who think, that by selecting some new Democrat to run for President to defeat Donald Trump, you will make things right...

34. Gratitude expressed by:

35. TopTop #231
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by eddierosenthal: View Post
    ...what can we do? Do you think, like i do, that Intellectualism is dead here in amerika?;...
    sorry, did I miss it when it came by? Did it stay long? damn.. would a been nice to meet up.

36. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

37. TopTop #232
    Mayacaman

eddierosenthal wrote:

Quote i tend to agree. but what, after listening to the inspiring speech from Mike Prysner, or reading the very articulate and inspiring articles at the fb PSL site ( Party for Socialism and LIberation) what can we do? Do you think, like i do, that Intellectualism is dead here in amerika? ...There would have to be a generational change, one that defies the traditional military industrial complex to lead us away from that bipartisan culture, to allow for a real change. We likely will not see it, and perhaps if the planet survives there will be human survivors after that apocalyptic end time... As for reality or what is , that thread of thought, of your perception of it, deserves to be examined by the SELF, as we all seem to be living in our OWN.

Your question, "What can we do?" puts us all on the spot, Ed. - Myself, as well. I cited that speech and agree with just about every word in it, and yet, I probably would not see eye to eye on all of the points of doctrine of this "Party for Socialism and Liberation" that Mike Prysner, the speaker who made that speech, is a member of.

Looking at the picture on the facebook page of the PSL, I noticed a young woman with a PLO flag. That's just one issue I would tend to differ on, since I do not support a bloody revolution to "Liberate Palestine." Instead, I support the less bloody expedient of a Federation of the Israelis & Palestinians, with a joint capital in Jerusalem, a Common Constitution & Bill of Rights, One schedule of Law for everyone from the River to the Sea, & Two mayors in Jerusalem, {with a padded room for group therapy, as our friend, Michael Bridge, has so brilliantly suggested.}

Realistically, Socialism does not get very much traction in Amerika these days among the "working class" {though its popularity seems to be growing in the younger generation.} We are all witnesses to the fact that the bogus Populism of Donald Trump has far more appeal. The reasons for this are many, and could fill several thoughtful books...

As far as what can be done, I certainly don't pretend to have all the answers. Socrates was good at asking Questions, and Plato took up the method of his teacher. So I think it is important, first, that we ask proper Questions, & that we Question Everything - all of the so-called "established" truths, & all of the old theories about History & Society.

One of the things I do think that We (it would take a Movement) might be able to do something about is this issue of Homelessness, that our Trump-supporting sparring partner, cyberanvil, brought into the discussion. As I have already stated, there are points of legal leverage whereby Justice may be served to the homeless and dispossessed in America.

Land Reform is one arena where change may happen. It is, theoretically possible, precisely because there are these points of legal leverage... We do not have to wait for it to come from the Federal government, either - because it will not. It must come as a groundswell from the proverbial "People."

As to you question, "Is Intellectualism dead in amerika?" - I would answer, "Not quite." We can't afford to let it die, either; though it has been many years since the (former) Mediterraneum
    Café on Telegraph Avenue resembled the Cafés of the Left Bank in Paris, or the Areopagus of old.

38. Gratitude expressed by:

39. TopTop #233
    eddierosenthal
    Supporting Member

yes i was a frequent member of the disestablishment who frequented that cafe. Now it's sort of millenial depresso spot. I don't think i can fault anything you just said. I have nieces and newphews who are much more into freeing the Palestinians, but as an older generation i tend to side with the victim hood of Israel, although i also have compassion for Palestinians, they do themselves no good by having leaders who are probably in the minority, but rule with money from the Saudis. Let me be clear, i am no expert in this area. But likely the Israeli Lobby is too strong in America, and the Hamas are doing far too little with capital that comes from Saudi Arabia. Sometimes i think too much like a secular jew, and sometimes i get too rabid to defend Israel. I am on a roller coaster there. As i drove by the leftovers from the fire at the Fountaingrove, there is land there that would be nice to have a little village scene for homeless. Several tiny homes could be placed there, within easy walking distance of Kaiser. In my fantasy i see it, and knowing it is a fantasy.

Your question, "What can we do?" puts us all on the spot, Ed. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-01-2019 at 11:12 AM.

40. Gratitude expressed by:

41. TopTop #234
    cyberanvil

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    dude, really? you think that was an accidental slip of the tongue? or an inadvertent reveal of my true feelings after all? I won't claim it's all that eloquent of a response, but it's not intended to be read without some sense of context either. If you're happy with 'gotcha', go to town with it.
    A belated thank you. I feel so much better now.

42. TopTop #235
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Sorry, couldn't resist

43. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

44. TopTop #236
    Mayacaman

eddierosenthal wrote:
    Quote yes i was a frequent member of the disestablishment who frequented that cafe. Now it's sort of millenial depresso spot. I don't think i can fault anything you just said. I have nieces and newphews who are much more into freeing the Palestinians, but as an older generation i tend to side with the victim hood of Israel, although i also have compassion for Palestinians, they do themselves no good by having leaders who are probably in the minority, but rule with money from the Saudis. Let me be clear, i am no expert in this area. But likely the Israeli Lobby is too strong in America, and the Hamas are doing far too little with capital that comes from Saudi Arabia. Sometimes i think too much like a secular jew, and sometimes i get too rabid to defend Israel. I am on a roller coaster there. As i drove by the leftovers from the fire at the Fountaingrove, there is land there that would be nice to have a little village scene for homeless. Several tiny homes could be placed there, within easy walking distance of Kaiser. In my fantasy i see it, and knowing it is a fantasy.
    Sorry, Ed, but I have been occupied with my family; my daughter and grandchildren being up from Brazil, and so I did not find time to answer you in a timely fashion.

If you care to weigh in on an earlier thread that I initiated on resolving the "problem" in Israel / Palestine, please feel free to contribute to that thread. At best we can vent our feelings and offer up insights. We can be sure that both the C.I.A. / State Department, & the Mossad are listening in. So tread lightly...

As far as building tiny houses on the burned out hill by Fountaingrove goes, Yes, is is a beautiful Idea. But somehow, I think the Board of Supes wouldn't go for it. They "don't want poor people living in rural Sonoma County" - that's a candid quote that I heard, as recounted by a mound-system contractor who shared it with me, of what he heard f
    rom one of the Supervisors back in the 1980's...

If they don't want poor people living in "Rural Sonoma County" how much {more or less} do they want them living within Santa Rosa City Limits, in permanent housing? Your guess is as good as mine.

Please continue to dialog on the subject of finding solutions to the Homeless Crisis on this other thread I initiated. Thank goodness, it is getting some traction.

Something has got to change.