Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #61
    podfish

Re: Elect a Woman in 2020

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    Unfortunately, America is not ready to elect a woman president, in my opinion. So my reason for wanting Bernie to be our president includes that I think he is the most qualified person, and second because he has said that he would have a female vice-president. Taking one step at a time--rather than trying to get a female president at this time--is more likely to be successful. A vote for Bernie is a possible way to get a female president soon, in my opinion. Make your vote count!
    it's possible, but another way to look at it is if there's so much resistance to having a female president when the alternative is Trump, there should be tons more resistance when the alternative is, say, Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio.

this has a lot in common with a bunch of other 'how progressive should we be' arguments. One side thinks that Trump's so bad, we should lean toward middle-of-the-road or conservative positions so that those who normally would oppose Democrats might abandon trump - this, without causing real progressives to defect. Another side (there's lots of sides) thinks that this is exactly the time to push for progressive change, since people who might otherwise shy away will have to accept it since the other choice is trump. Hell if I know which is closer to the truth.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-19-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #62
    kburgess

There is a forest beyond the tree's folks...,
    It is not about Woman/Man, White/Black or any of that other nonsense,
    How about QUALIFICATIONS!!!
    For me, I want someone who represents the values of the entire AMERICA, and not just a small progressive faction that tries to think that they represent the USA.
    1. I want someone who is not bound by the political establishment as in Party Politics that is generally stuck in a 20-30yr old mindset.
    2. I want someone who is smarter with Business and Negotiations than politics and appeasement, And lastly, ...
    3. I want someone who has a greater tendency to want to fight back and respect the truth of a situation rather just settle for what sounds good.
    This to me is enough for NOW to get us a bit closer to back on track and THEN we can worry about all of the social issues and PC behavior. We need to get a more honest Govt and Media system that actually does work and represent the people without wasting 80% of all the money that goes into it whether it be for campaigns or Govt expenditures.

Consequently I have been VERY satisfied with Donald J Trump, and think that for the most of you who spend a bit too much time watching the MSM news, it is no surprise that it is hard to see the forest through the tree's.
    I would love to have a woman as President, but so far there has been absolutely NONE who could effectively do the job. Now if Cathrine Austin Fitts wanted to run, she would be a no-brainer in my book, but she is in a vastly higher level of capability than anyone else in the field.

He did not create this system, but was selected and brought in to fix a horrible situation that was about to go over the cliff into a abysmal doom. You may not see it that way, but I do.

Maybe I am a bit of an optimist, but I would like to think that after the last 20yrs of political BS, that the American people are finally fed up with all the political games that end up wasting money, time and destroying the country for everyone elses benefit other than the people that they are supposed to represent,
    Thus DJT got in, and will hopefully stay in till he gets his job done and a bit more honesty will be revealed in how the system has been horribly warped away from what this nation should represent.
    Thanks,
    Ken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2qIXXafxCQ

4. TopTop #63
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kburgess: View Post
    For me, I want someone who represents the values of the entire AMERICA, and not just a small progressive faction that tries to think that they represent the USA.
    1. I want someone who is not bound by the political establishment as in Party Politics that is generally stuck in a 20-30yr old mindset.
    2. I want someone who is smarter with Business and Negotiations than politics and appeasement, And lastly, ...
    3. I want someone who has a greater tendency to want to fight back and respect the truth of a situation rather just settle for what sounds good.

Consequently I have been VERY satisfied with Donald J Trump...
    this explains so much. I hadn't recognized how strongly the cheeto runs in this one before.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #64
    kburgess

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    this explains so much. I hadn't recognized how strongly the cheeto runs in this one before.
    Please explain your reason for mocking as compared to presenting an opinion w/o an insult and what exactly 'cheeto' is supposed to mean for the rest of us who might be un-enlightened.

I try to present what I see is a valid argument and do not see this comment as responding in kind.

In a previous post you agreed to being a cynic, I personally do not see cynic's as having any legitimate value in any conversation, for if you are not able to voice your agreement/disagreement w/o insulting, then you add no value to a forward moving public discourse even if you are fast on the responses.

Take care and be well,
    Ken.

7. TopTop #65
    podfish

Please explain your reason for mocking as compared to presenting an opinion ...
    'cuz a little gentle (i guess that's in the eye of the beholder) mocking is part of public discourse. We're not a task force charged with solving the world's problems here - we're on a forum for expressing opinions.

and yes, cheeto is a mocking reference too.

on reflection, it amuses me that given your admiration for Trump, it doesn't extend to the idea of mocking people being referenced. and from him, it's not gentle...

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #66
    wisewomn

Oh, jeeze, Ken, your sincerity is truly apparent, but your words are so misguided. Can you really NOT see the disconnect between your words and the reality of Trump and his actions?

1. I want someone who is not bound by the political establishment as in Party Politics that is generally stuck in a 20-30yr old mindset. Republicans have been stuck in a Reagan mindset since the 80s even though trickle-down economics have been definitively discredited by now. Trump's mindset still reflects that old point of view with his tax cuts for the very wealthy, primarily because they work in his favor. He is destroying the environment on behalf of big corporations. He blows a lot of hot air about standing up to autocrats and dictators, but continually backs down from his over-the-top threats and then praises them for the way they run their countries.. His imprisonment at our southern border of desperate people--children in cages, for crying out loud!-- running for their lives is terrifyingly like Germany in the late 1930s. His blatant racism and sexism run counter to everything this country used to stand for.
    2. I want someone who is smarter with Business and Negotiations than politics and appeasement, And lastly, ... Trump has bankrupted nearly all his businesses and cheated many people who worked for him. Do you really support those "business practices and negotiations?" This is a big country, not a business, and even if Trump were successful in business--and he has repeatedly shown that he is not--a large diverse country is not the same thing as a business and cannot be run the same way. Additionally, his utter contempt and disregard for the checks-and-balances written into the Constitution and the failure of the Republicans to stand up to him are truly terrifying. What you see as "Business and Negotiations"" is the unraveling of our democracy as envisioned by the Founding Fathers.
    3. I want someone who has a greater tendency to want to fight back and respect the truth of a situation rather just settle for what sounds good. The truth of a situation? Are you kidding me?! Trump tells at least 4 provable lies a day, according to factcheck.com and politifact.com, and over 4,000 proven lies since he's been in office. His easy lies are easier for some people, like you, to swallow than the hard truths of climate change, extreme economic disparity, the collapse and corruption of our electoral system, and our steady shift from a democracy to an oligarchy.
    4. No, I do not watch MSM, so don't throw that one at me. I get it that on a really visceral level people all over the world know that we (humanity) are in deep doodoo, and the natural tendency is to react tribally and stick our heads in the ground. But IMO that is exactly the opposite of what we are being called to do, which is to wake up to the reality of our situation and to begin collectively to take individual responsibility to change the way we have always lived and behaved. Those things have brought us to this point. It is not a time to cling to a devious, deluded doofus in hopes he will make all the bad things go away.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-20-2019 at 08:55 AM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #67
    caromia333

Just the facts about Trump's presidency.

83 Environmental Rules Being
    Rolled Back Under Trump

By NADJA POPOVICH, LIVIA ALBECK-RIPKA and KENDRA PIERRE-LOUIS UPDATED June 7, 2019

President Trump has made eliminating federal regulations a priority. His administration, with help from Republicans in Congress, has often targeted environmental rules it sees as burdensome to the fossil fuel industry and other big businesses.

A New York Times analysis, based on research from Harvard Law School, Columbia Law School and other sources, counts more than 80 environmental rules and regulations on the way out under Mr. Trump.

Our list represents two types of policy changes: rules that were officially reversed and rollbacks still in progress. The Trump administration has released an aggressive schedule to try to finalize many of these rollbacks this year.

More info here

Deregulation of all Industries. Polluters given free reign

Gutting the EPA. Mass firings and censoring of climate scientists.

Major tax cuts to the super rich.

Scary war like proclamations and threats to Iran, Venezuela and other nations.

He filed bankruptcy six times for failed businesses. Won't release tax returns as he promised.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-21-2019 at 12:55 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

13. TopTop #68
    kburgess

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    'cuz a little gentle (i guess that's in the eye of the beholder) mocking is part of public discourse. We're not a task force charged with solving the world's problems here - we're on a forum for expressing opinions.

and yes, cheeto is a mocking reference too.

on reflection, it amuses me that given your admiration for Trump, it doesn't extend to the idea of mocking people being referenced. and from him, it's not gentle...
    I have no doubt that you see value in mocking, but for me it only comes out when either you do not have facts to back up an argument, or when the recipient does not listen to the facts and the mock is the vehicle of last resort. Either way it stops the flow of genuine dialogue and progress and degrades into a vehicle for entertainment.

Sobeit, I like ideas and progress done within a venue of mutual respect and consideration. Maybe just the way I have been raised and preference to have civil discourse or desire not to appeal to the non-beneficial side of the conversation. Your choice, My choice.
    Be well,
    Ken.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #69
    kburgess

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    Oh, jeeze, Ken, your sincerity is truly apparent, but your words are so misguided. Can you really NOT see the disconnect between your words and the reality of Trump and his actions?

It is not a time to cling to a devious, deluded doofus in hopes he will make all the bad things go away.
    It was not a multi-party choice in 2016, and HRC was not an option as another 4+yrs of Obama. More crime done by both of them never reported and pursued than anything DJT could ever concoct, starting with all of the global appeasement, payments to Iran, Uranium One, email servers, bank bailouts, campaign spying, Russia collusion hoax and more. We all know the drone.

It was a binary choice and all of those issues are/were real as well as a deeper systemic pollution that goes way beyond both parties of R/D. I do not agree with a lot of the Rep's as a bunch of spineless old fools, and yet disagree a lot more with the Dem's as being a party that had turned into more radical extremism with no effective forward looking agenda other than 'Destroy-Trump'!

Thus I do not see any forward momentum with either side of the political establishment.

I did not see DJT as a Republican candidate, but more of an independent who the Republican party was forced to endorse because he appealed to the people and knocked everyone else off the stage. They were forced into he and had no other choice. It has taken him 2 years to turn a few of the older heads of congress to some level of support, but it has been all the average folks of the country that are forcing the change.

I am not going to elaborate on each of the points as I have other things to do, but I would welcome a better minded 'doofus' if there is one available to choose from. So far I see absolutely none, and no he is not perfect, but for trying to unravel the root of what I see as the problem of a globalist minded agenda and unsustainable banking system cabal, there was no other choice. I have other things to deal with in life, so yes I do have to boil the decisions down to big picture basics and he was it.

Thanks for your thoughts and input,
    Ken.

16. Gratitude expressed by: