Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

Cat needs euthanasia-who does this when guardian doesn't have $200-250 for the fee?

I was at my friend's house yesterday, and saw many of her wonderful feral cats rescued from horrible conditions over the years. She's down to 14, of the original 62. I was able to pet two of them, as I watched many others walk freely around their "cat's kingdom" while others lounged on specially made platforms just for them. They were a multi-colored group of gingers, tuxedos, tortie, siamese, black, and gray. Each cat had their own bowl with their hand painted name on it. (This could be an important clue to being aware of each cat's eating habits.) Some people might feed numerous cats in a large low pan, which would make clean up easier. But in this case, 14 personal bowls were lovingly put out in various places where cats felt safe to eat. I watched from a distance indoors, so as not to disturb their routine. A cat's paradise observed by me....a cat lover.

I had some to see where my senior, disabled low income friend lives, since I'd only heard about it when she shared that PRMD had given her notice that her little home and cottage would be demolished, since it was built without permits, 37 years ago. And she, would soon be among the homeless, and her rescued cats would be killed.

Many aspects of this situation seem cruel and heartless, the primary one is that a senior, disabled low income woman who has provided a sanctuary for abused cats, in addition to a temporary home for her two daughters is facing homelessness, and the death of her beloved cats. If I were in her place, I'd be seriously considering suicide, and I know she will.

Her sanctuary isn't a 501c3, because she's never had the ability to proceed with this, and never knew about "fiscal sponsorships" until I told her yesterday. It may be too late for that, as PRMD bears down on her heart and soul, with the machinations of heavy equipment intent on destruction and death.

As I was leaving this peaceful (human~cat) sanctuary, I noticed in the distance a very thin cat, barely walking in obvious pain. My heart broke, and a sad sound came from me as I observed this. My friend asked "What?" I replied "that cat...." She said "yes, that's Nico; he's dying, and the vets want $200-250 to put him down. What can I do?" I replied that I've read that a shot of insulin can end a cat's life, but I have no insulin, and no details."

What to do to end a cat's suffering, when money is the issue? Will the Humane Society do it? I remember many years ago taking a cat to them for euthanasia when I had no money. I may have given a small donation.

As a Rohnert Park resident, I turned to the Rohnert Park Shelter. I took two of my homeless friend's cats there, who were sick and dying, 16 and 18 years old, after he had attempted suicide, and left the cats with me, along with instructions to euthanize. I couldn't take them in, and one had become fiercely angry from going blind, and having continuous changing environments, including living in a truck. I kept them in a large cage for a few days before I knew I must euthanize them...also with no funds to do this.

Even with the suicide note and instructions for me to euthanize, the cats would be kept for a week or so, in case the owner/guardian changed his mind. He was now in a psych ward, facing homelessness when released.

I'd been left with cleaning the massive amount of blood left behind in the truck, where he sliced his wrists, with his beloved cats nearby, as he bled out. He'd had these cats as kittens, and they had a heartfelt bond that was obvious to anyone who knew them.

Having to euthanize a beloved cat is always heart wrenching. I had to do this with Mitzy the Beautiful last October, and I'm not the same person I was. Tears fall even as I write this. She was my best friend, and my sole companion. She was also the most beautiful and well behaved feral I ever rescued.....or who rescued me. I'm posting some pictures because they are truly worth a thousand words.

I'll be going back to the cat's paradise on the hill in Guerneville, to videotape the sanctuary for previously abused cats, and the people who love them. This is a community service that compares on some level, with BrightHaven, who has been saving all variety of rescued animals, as a well funded non-profit.

Please open your hearts to give what you are moved to donate, to help save this paradise. This is a way to express gratitude for what you have. It may be a well loved home, a reliable car, a healthy body, a good income, the ability to spend whatever you wish on entertainment and material things, whether it means shopping for items with no thought to cost, or being able to travel to other countries for workshops or retreats or just for pleasure and personal evolution. This is a tiny step toward your enlightened evolution, and it's right in your backyard.

I'm going to try to post some pictures here, but there are a few on the fundraiser site:

Disabled Senior May Lose Home~
    https://www.facebook.com/donate/2320066258265561/
    Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Expand   Expand  
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    forveterans49

Re: Cat needs euthanasia-who does this when guardian doesn't have $200-250 for the fee?

Where is a good-hearted animal vet who will provide pain relief for this poor cat? If someone doesn't have $ why can't a vet do something out of the goodness of their heart and their love of animals? Just curious if there are any of them around?
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    ...As I was leaving this peaceful (human~cat) sanctuary, I noticed in the distance a very thin cat, barely walking in obvious pain. My heart broke, and a sad sound came from me as I observed this. My friend asked "What?" I replied "that cat...." She said "yes, that's Nico; he's dying, and the vets want $200-250 to put him down. What can I do?" I replied that I've read that a shot of insulin can end a cat's life, but I have no insulin, and no details."
    Last edited by Barry; 05-31-2019 at 11:15 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    gardenmaniac

Re: Cat needs euthanasia-who does this when guardian doesn't have $200-250 for the fee?

Insulin? really? I gave insulin injections to my diabetic cat 2x daily for many years ...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by forveterans49: View Post
    Where is a good-hearted animal vet who will provide pain relief for this poor cat? If someone doesn't have $ why can't a vet do something out of the goodness of their heart and their love of animals? Just curious if there are any of them around?

5. TopTop #4
    Shandi

An insulin "overdose" is what I've read about, but it also has undesirable side effects. When you see your cat suffering needlessly, because you can't afford to euthanize them, what do you do? I know Brighthaven (hospice for animals) never euthanizes; they use Reiki treatments, and not sure what they give for pain, if anything.

Does anyone know who's worked there?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gardenmaniac: View Post
    Insulin? really? I gave insulin injections to my diabetic cat 2x daily for many years ...

6. TopTop #5
    Shandi

Good hearted vets still need to pay the bills, and have a little discretionary income for luxuries, like shopping at Whole Foods and Community Market and various boutiques, as we all do.

A vet tech may be able to advise (on the down low) about ways to put a cat down humanely. There are some who might be willing to help, but they need to trust that you wouldn't turn them in. It's a big risk for them.

I've had vet techs come to my house to trim my cat's nails for $10, so I didn't have to cart her to a groomer for $15+, and have her traumatized by barking dogs. Some cats have been accidently fried while getting dried after a shampoo. Yeah, I don't trust groomers, vets, or boarding places.

Vet techs also help with meds, flea treatments, and fur trimming if needed. I have a friend with a very large cat that she can't pick up to get to the vet's, so she hires a vet tech for $30 hr. minimum fee.

Any vet techs on Wacco?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by forveterans49: View Post

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #6
    BEE KIND

PETA does free humane euthanasia for suffering animals at their office in VA., which is why they get bashed and blamed for having high euthanasia statistics. I don't know whether they have anyone around here to do it, but it would be worth contacting them to ask. There is also In Defense of Animals, based in San Rafael, which might be able to help or refer you to someone. That organization was founded by a vet, Dr. Elliot Katz. It might be good to contact him to ask. He is on Facebook. The local animal shelter would do it if you take the cat there. Try them and let us know the outcome.

9. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: