Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Kevind

cautionary experience with tire shop, brake job

Thought I would pass on this experience.

A friend went in to a local (chain) tire shop for tires and was told that when the car was up on the lift the mechanic "noticed" that their brakes were completely shot. Fixing them would cost $750.

I called a mechanic I'd been happy with in the past and asked if they could tell me over the phone what a worst-case price would be for my friend's make and model. The mechanic (TriStar Automotive) said, "without looking at it, $520 would be tops."

My friend took the car in to them, and when she picked it up, the bill was $246--the drums were good, the brakes weren't that bad.

She said something about the difference between the $750 she'd been quoted and $246, and the response was, "Did you get the $750 quote from a tire shop?"

Obviously not all tire shops are out to gouge people, but if a tire shop says you need really expensive brake work....
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    EmeraldMatra

Re: cautionary experience with tire shop, brake job

Are you gonna tell us which tire shop is gouging people?
    I had a similar experience at Firestone Coddingtown but that was a long time ago. I haven't been there since. I had a great experience buying tires at Sears Auto Santa Rosa but they recently closed. Now I am figuring out where to go for my oil changes and regular maintenance. I have had good experiences at Pep Boys Rohnert Park, including brake work.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Kevind: View Post
    Thought I would pass on this experience.

A friend went in to a local (chain) tire shop for tires and was told that when the car was up on the lift the mechanic "noticed" that their brakes were completely shot. Fixing them would cost $750.

I called a mechanic I'd been happy with in the past and asked if they could tell me over the phone what a worst-case price would be for my friend's make and model. The mechanic (TriStar Automotive) said, "without looking at it, $520 would be tops."

My friend took the car in to them, and when she picked it up, the bill was $246--the drums were good, the brakes weren't that bad.

She said something about the difference between the $750 she'd been quoted and $246, and the response was, "Did you get the $750 quote from a tire shop?"

Obviously not all tire shops are out to gouge people, but if a tire shop says you need really expensive brake work....
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email