Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Roland Jacopetti

Something Completely Musically Odd

When
    Friday, May 17th;8:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    Where KRCB-Windsor, 91.1 and 90.9 (Wait a minute! WINDSOR!!?)
    Add to Google Calendar
    I've decided to spend some S.C.D. time assembling musical groups and solo performers (and both), and group them in the confines of a show. Last week's show is a good example: four male singers, all about the same age (forties or so), all with unusual approaches to music (and somehow fitting together [sort of]). So we listened to Ray Wylie Hubbard, John Prine, Randy Newman and Tom Russell, and I think they sounded great together (did you?). So...for this Saturday's show (May 17th), we turn our ears to musical groups...odd musical groups...five of 'em. They are:

Blame Sally: Four female singers from San Francisco (with a male bass guitarist thrown in for flavor), formed in 2000. Mainly noted for an album called Speeding Ticket and a Valentine.

Shivaree: Formed in 1997, and consisting of Ambrosia Parsley, the unforgettable lead singer, plus 2 male instrumentalists, a keyboardist and a guitar. Ambrosia is a highly unusual performer - For instance, in 2004, she brought out a single, based on a production called Ambrosia Sings the News. The single was titled 2004 (The Year in Review...For Anyone Who Can Bear the Mere Thought).

Copper Wimmin: Formed in the late 90s, and worked...well...around here, sort of, in Marin, the East Bay, San Francisco and Sonoma County (remember'em?) Three quite unusual vocalists, but they disbanded in 2006, but I've heard they got back together in 2016. Have they?

Po' Girl: Formed in 2000 in Canada, playing a sort of music they call "Urban Roots." They've had various sizes and shapes of performers, presently appear to be four women. After some years in Vancouver, they're now back where they started in Toronto/Montreal.

The Roches. The closest to what might be called "famous". They began (two sisters, Maggie and Terre) as backup singers for Paul Simon in his album There Goes Rhythm Simon. A third sister, Suzzy, joined in the late 70, added and subtracted members until 1997, when they went on hold, except for occasional gigs and albums, until 2007, when they stopped touring and stuck to isolated appearances individually and as a group. Sadly, in 2017, Maggie died of cancer at the age of 65. Real favorites of mine.

Well, that's them. I hope you join me on KRCB-FM, next Friday, 8 to 10 PM. I can hardly wait...but, actually, I can.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-12-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email